2,845 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar outdoor pool public areas sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits
Reviewed 12 June 2016

Lovely hotel, great views of the beach from our sea view room,
the indoor pool and sauna were very good
The bar area was good for a late evening drink,
The breakfast is a self service with everything on offer that you would expect from a decent hotel
The hotel is ideal for a relaxing break

Room tip: Ask for a sea view room on a high floor as the view is worth it
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2016

Dear sandraandpete,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following anniversary break at The Grand.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your break with us to be a relaxing one!

Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

Me and my new husband stayed at the hotel last night for the night of our wedding and I cannot praise the team at the hotel enough. Firstly I wanted to have an early check in on the day so I was able to have my hair and makeup done, which was done without hesitation. They even allowed me and my bridesmaids to use a different room in the hotel while we were waiting for housekeeping to clean the room. I was given complimentary drinks on arrival and an ice bucket, card and chocolate strawberries were delivered to the room while we were getting ready. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of gentleman who served us our breakfast but he was fantastic and so accommodating. All the ladies on reception were absolutely lovely and went above and beyond to make the day go so smoothly. I have never had an experience in a hotel like this before and this is first time I have felt I needed to take the time to write a review. So on behalf of me, my husband and the bridal party, I just want to say a massive massive thank you for making the day even more amazing and stress free!! And a special thank you to the ladies of reception for being so understanding and lovely.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2016

Dear Laura H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at The Grand. Congratulation on your wedding, we all hope you had an amazing day, and I am delighted to read your comments following your stay regarding the way the team looked after you throughout.

I have shared your comments with the team and Anthony in the restaurant whose name escaped you!

Congratulations again, and we all wish you a happy life together!

Reviewed 9 June 2016

So much looking forward to having creamed afternoon tea the Devonshire way coming from Yorkshire. Where could be better than The Grand.

Coffee cup with lipstick still plastered on the side showing.Slightly off putting. A cleaner cup replaced pretty quickly didn't make a fuss about it.

Food turned up and glad to see no slates in sight and all served on a 3 tier cake stand all looking very scrumptious indeed. It looked as it should be.

Oh my god! My bread has a small speck of mould on it. Our waitress returned with a fresh plate of sandwiches and an apology. Not her fault standards were not as expected.
A big let down really and off putting and hygiene was off today on our visit.

Everyone else thought the afternoon was just okay.
So only 2 stars.
3 stars if there was no problem with mould on the food
4 stars if the tableware looked a bit smarter and cleaner
5 stars, I'm not looking for the Ritz but a bit of TLC overall as I was then looking for overall standards in the Compass Room.

1  Thank BarneyBulgin

Dear BarneyBulgin,

I am most disappointed and concerned to read your review following your afternoon tea experience, and I assure you that this certainly not normal and I will be investigating this matter further.

If you could contact me at the hotel directly to discuss this further - gm.grand@richardsonhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

The name was about as grand as it got the hotel is very much in need of an update. I only stayed one night but that was enough. The staff seemed a bit unsure of what was going on and although reception were very friendly and good.
Breakfast was good.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2016

Dear CTJ8838,

Thank you for your comments following your stay at The Grand.

I am disappointed to read you feel the hotel is in need of an update. As the oldest hotel in Torquay, we are continually investing in the building, however I am pleased to note that you found breakfast to be good and the Reception team friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

Nice old proper seaside hotel. Free parking, free wifi and easy to find. Set a few minutes walk away from the town centre. With lovely views over the water to the town.
Lovely outside pool area with a bar a stones throw away.
Hotel itself is a bit dated inside but find that with most old seaside hotels.

Dear Rhodri W,

Thank you for your lovely review following your stay at The Grand, I am delighted to read that you found your stay to be enjoyable but traditional.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.