“Not what I was expecting.”

Smokey Joes Torquay
Ranked #24 of 366 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Online menu looked good, got there nothing on the menu was the same as online. Menu all American stuff.
Would not have gone if the had put their actual menu online.

Betch_Muzaffer, Owner at Smokey Joes Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi I’m really not sure what’s happened here, our online menu and restaurant menu are exactly the same, why wouldn’t
they be?
Either you looked at a different restaurant menu online or you came to the wrong
restaurant.

You say that our menu is all American stuff, we specialise in Steak, Burgers, Brisket, pulled pork & St. Louis Ribs,
so pretty much the American staple diet.
We have been an American themed
restaurant since we opened 8 years ago
and we are known locally as such.

The other thing about your review is that
we don’t actually know whether you ate here or not?
Apart from the obvious of us serving American stuff you do not mention food quality, service, atmosphere, value for money or anything else for that matter.
We have to question whether this review
is genuine.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Visited for dinner mid-week in the off season. Had a great time, staff were lovely attentive but not intrusive, food was delicious across the board. While they don't have a huge variety on the menu they are adding new items and I'd certainly look forward to going back once the smokers up and running.

New Orleans Burger (Cajun chicken with Nachos and salsa) - not strongly cajun flavoured but a well selected breast with a good helping of salsa and crunchy tortillas in melted cheese. I didn't try any but the look on my dining partners face said it all.

Nashville Burger (Beef, cheese, Bacon). Bacon was plentiful, cheese was sharp, beef was well cooked and not too greasy. The burger was a little too large for a single bite but whipping the tomatoes out soon solved that.

Both came with the seasoned fries that had a good flavour to them, somewhere between cajun and mexican, but it wasn't strong enough to overpower the rest of the meal.

Onion rings came with a good garlic and soured cream dip that was well herbed and the rings themselves were in a solid batter that wasn't greasy.

Half rack of ribs were melt off the bone tender. The barbecue sauce is on the sweeter end of sauces but it packed plenty of flavour.

Chocolate cookie bash cake. Light but flavourful. Nothing special but a nice dessert for a nice meal.

Worth also pointing out that staff were very attentive over one of our diners allergies, making sure needs were met and it didn't feel like we were inconveniencing them to mention it. Music was a good mix of american classic rock loud enough that you could enjoy the tunes you knew but quiet enough that you could ignore them and have a chat at normal volume.

1  Thank Ro d
Reviewed 3 March 2018

good place to take the kids, good portions of rib's, steaks & burgers. Very reasonably priced. Comfortable seating and warm. Well stocked bar.

1  Thank ahaylett
Reviewed 15 February 2018

My daughter has been going on about this place for a while now. "Not my kind of place", I sniffed. However, since it was her birthday, she got to pick where we went to eat. "Cotton Eyed Joe's, obviously."

Well, haven't I been a fool. It's just BRILLIANT!

My first contact with the place was when I dropped of a birthday cake earlier in the day to be brought to the table after our meal. The waitress who greeted me couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. As I was handing over the cake I was thinking to myself that it looked a lot more characterful inside than I'd thought it would. Pleasantly surprised, I think the term is.

When our party of five arrived for the meal we were delighted to see that they had put balloons on the table and a banner on the table saying happy birthday. What a lovely touch that was.

My daughter suggested we get a sharing platter as a starter, so we did. Plenty for everyone of delicious chicken wings, onion rings, nachos and potato wedges along with a few dips.

When it came to the main course I was surprised to see that it wasn't all burgers, I've got this place completely wrong! There was a varied selection of items including fillet steak, always a number one choice for the hubby. being the family that we are we all decided to have steaks, whih were cooked perfectly, and a half rack of ribs each. Sweet, sticky and delicious. Make sure you are REALLY hungry when you go there as the portions are mahoosive. None of us managed to eat all our meal, in fact my daughter and her partner took half of theirs home in a doggy back.

Service was with a smile and a friendly chat, there is nothing I can fault about anything.

It's a real cowboy atmosphere, you do kind of feel youre in the wild west and the music got us all singing along (quietly haha).

It's a great place for a relaxed meal with friends or family and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

3  Thank LancashireJavabean
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

The steak is amazing and the service is too nothing is too much trouble and the owner walks round checking everyone is happy.

First choice whenever I want a decent steak

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member