“Excellent food and cooking skills here.”
Review of Chloe's Restaurant

Chloe's Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 801 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: USD 13 - USD 59
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Superb little family run bistro/restaurant ideal for lunch, or dinner. Close to the Plymouth Theatre Royal, Pavilions and Reel Cinema and situated in the heart of the business district close the Civic Centre and just across from main Royal Parade bus stops. Extensive menu including light bites such as vegetable, French Onion and Fish Soup, Omelettes, Croque Monsieur and Fish and Chips as well as the traditional French dishes of, Beef Bourguignon, Cassoulet, Escargot and Creme Brule. Its a venue suitable for everyone at anytime and easy on the pocket too. The attention to detail and customer care and service is second to none and its been running quietly on its "word of mouth" reputation since 2005. There is even a piano on site which is played, subject to bookings, from 7.30pm each evening.
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We had an early dinner here before the Fireworks and found it to have excellent food and cooking. The service for us was also good and friendly, but there was only one person on waiting duty: she coped well with the demand but one wonders what happens when the place is completely full. One minor issue is that the wine list is not all that long. We chose an unoaked Chardonnay, a French vin de table, which was fine and well priced, but it would be nice to see a slightly longer list. Overall we had excellent dinners and will come again the next time we visit Plymouth. Oh, the location is also good, just a couple of minutes walk from the centre of town and the Hoe.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

We arrived for a bite to eat before going to a show as this restaurant had a relatively good reputation. Indeed, we had eaten there before and it was reasonable. We were told that the main menu was not available; only the pre-theatre menu as they were busy. Firstly a restatement should be geared up for the level of customers irrespective of whether or not most people were there for pre-theatre meals and secondly to be told that we could only chose from a very limited pre-theatre menu is quite frankly outrageous especially given that I can't eat most fish and shellfish so the only alternative was an alleged bavette steak.

This is supposed to be a French menu - well is you like your steak hard and inedible and with what looks and tasted like poor oven chips and if the chefs idea of French cooking is to serve third rate food swimming in olive oil then you will love this place. No vegetables offered for the dish so I ordered some green beans (which was not on the menu) and this turned out to be the highlight of the meal! My partner had a salmon dish to start with and again swimming in olive oil; in fact the salmon could have swum away. The main course of fish was reasonable but again vegetables all swimming in oil and poorly cooked (very soft and of little nutritional value).

All I can say is that a child on junior Masterchef could have produced food to a far higher and more enjoyable standard.

I did complain and was offered a replacement steak but time was pressing. I did receive a 50% discount on my meal because of the poor quality. Would I go back - Never.

1  Thank Geoffrey L
Reviewed 9 August 2018

We found this restaurant a number of years ago, when Brittany Ferries omitted to put a proper restaurant on the “Armorique”. We now eat at Chloe’s before catching the ferry, or going to the theatre. We ate there again last week. Friendly, unpretentious, but with superb food. A quintessential French restaurant, transported this side of the Channel. My wife is a connoisseur of mussels and she says they are amongst the best she’s had. Beats anywhere else we’ve eaten at in Plymouth. The wine list is short but good, and very reasonable.

Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent. Cannot believe I did not know this delightful bistro is just around the corner from the theatre. Professional, polite service, interesting and tasty menu served on imaginative tableware. Good wine list. Very impressed how 2 staff could serve 3 course meals so well in so short a time. Will eat here pre theatre from now on .

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Walked in here off the street and chanced a table being available.

The friendly waitress gave us a table and menus came with wooden covers.

Nice Jazz music played in the background and service was quick.

I ordered the vegetable cassoulet which came with hand cut French fries. Before the meal little cups were served with straws with a buttery/creamy concoction, with rye bread. It was unusual and a perfect preamble to the meal.

The cassoulet came in a bowl and fries in a cup. On tasting the cassoulet I immediately smiled. It was rich and spicy, with vegetables perfectly cooked and the whole meal was very rustic. It didn’t need any sauces, it was perfect as it was.

We decided to order a desert and although I can’t remember the name, it was a berry and strawberry based dish in a rich and warm sauce with some ice cream in the middle. It was absolutely delicious.

From the very friendly, helpful and efficient waitress (who helped us choose the desert), to the high quality food, we couldn’t have had a better meal and I highly recommend coming here. The owner/manageress was very friendly as well.

Overall, one of the best meals out I’ve had.