All reviews leisure facilities steam room hen party swimming pool spa treatments course evening meal bar menu great facilities large bathroom one night stay family room lovely room full english wedding gym brasserie plympton
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Myself and a group of golfing friends stayed at the hotel in August, it was a most enjoyable experience, the setting is lovely, the golf, food and all amenities were very good. Its close proximity to Plymouth also make it great base for exploring the surrounding countryside. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Elfordleighhotel, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you for your post. We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us here at the Elfordleigh. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Having visited this hotel many years ago and found myself in the area, we decieded to stay for a couple of days, the golf was good and we think that this is clearly the primary focus of this hotel, Check in ok receptionist surly, parking was very hard especially as one of my party is disabled, could not get anywhere close to the front door, Breakfast poor and cold, Dinner ok ish decieded to eat out on 2nd and 3rd nights is case of repeat problems, (clearly this hotel is understaffed) more frozen food enough said.... One afternoon decieded to have afternoon tea this was ok at best, apart from butter portion and jam packs and frozen scones..
I think that basically elfordleigh has turned into an understaffed leisure centre with good golf and rooms... Would I go again.. No chance would I reccommend it No, could this place be improved yes however we had a good nights sleep on each night and the rooms were clean

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shawchef

Thank you for your feedback. Feedback from our guests is vital to us at the Elfordleigh and your comments have been extremely useful. We are always looking for opportunities to improve on the standard of service we offer and ensure all our guests expectations are met. We realise your experience fell short and as the Elfordleigh in now under new management, we are working hard to address these issues.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Plus side a great setting and most things were very nice, but things do let it down. Even though all rooms are non smoking ours stank of smoke which I highlighted to reception to which they were apologetic. I just wanted them to know it wasn't me! The decor and room was quite basic and a little tired. As for breakfast well this reminded me more like a Travel/Premier Inn not a 3 star hotel. There were only about 6 tables in a small area and myself and about 6 other people had to have breakfast in the bar as there was no room. When eventually we were sorted a wait of around close to 30 mins for an English breakfast to arrive and it wasn't even that busy. What they do when they are busy heaven knows. They could do so much better and paying over 3 figures a night for a stay seems a little excessive

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank DevonPaul

Thank you for your feedback. Our rooms are non-smoking and we have reiterated this point by placing signs and as a deterrant, a charge for guests who do not abide by this rule. When this problem does arise, we find it extremely difficult to eradicate the smell of smoke quickly and we appologise for this. We are currently redecorating our rooms and public areas. We have now adopted a booking system for breakfast to ensure smooth service and all guests are accommodated comfortably. We have also added items to our breakfast buffet and menu to improve the selection. We have received some very positive comments regarding this improvement. We hope we can welcome you back to the Elfordleigh for you to experience these changes first hand.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is a typical golfing hotel located in its own very rural location on the outskirts of Plymouth. It would make a very good base for visiting local attractions. Very reasonably priced when I stayed (a Tuesday night in August). The general public areas are very good. The bar has several large screen TV's showing sky sport and typical bar food. The leisure facilities were excellent with well equipped gym, good sized pool and sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Squash courts also. The room I stayed in (Lincoln - they have names) was a bit on the small size, had thin walls (I could hear the guest in the next room) and overlooked the outside seating areas for the bar. Despite this I had a quiet night with no disturbances. This could be different if there was a function going on. Watch out for the rooms on the back side of the hotel. There is a large kitchen extractor system which could cause some background noise. Overall I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front or side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your post. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Elfordleigh. Lincoln is a standard room and we would like to welcome you back to experience a premier room on your next visit with a free upgrade.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Visited hotel in Aug 2011 to 'celebrate my mothers 85 bithday as she had her wedding breakfast and ruby wedding at the hotel. We booked for the restuarant and found ourselves eating in what felt like a corridor between the hotel reception and the Bar. The waitress was absolutely charming but the decor was very tired and looked as if the walls were damp. My mother ordered chicked which when it arrived had been a long time in the hot cupboard as the sauce had congealed. My wife and I ordered Fish and Chips at nearly £9.50 each the meal arrived on what I thought was 'fake' newspaper and 2 paper napkins. On eating the meal I discovered that the batter on the fish had welded itself to the paper napkins and that not only was it and old newspaper but it was obviously not clean as all the offers had been cut out. Only not wanting to cause a scene with my elderly mother in attendance and the very apologetic waitress prevented me from making a scene.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank glassmanUk

Thank you for your feedback. Since your post, we have relocated our Restaurant to the more formal and traditional Churchill's Conservatory offering our guests a choice of dining areas. We found your fish and chip senario very embarassing and the chef has revoked his quirky style of serving this dish. We are glad you enjoyed pleasant service as we pride ourselves on having a friendly team. We hope we can welcome you back to the Elfordleigh in the near future so you can experience these improvements.