“Great family hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 83 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great family hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed here in early June, I work up the county in the midlands and needed to come down and see some family. I rang and spoke to Jenny to book a room and sed I would not be arriving until very late she informed me that it was not a proplem some one would be around to let me in. When I finaly turned up at 1 am a young man let me in, booked me in and helped me to my room and even offered me a bit to eat if I wanted. The room was clean and tidy with a lovely soft bed what at I feel straight asleep on, In the morning I woke up late and missed breakfast, but Maggie the owner sed dont worry we can cook you what ever you like its not a problem. As I waited I chatted to some staff you were all very polite and charming, when breakfast turned up it was lovely ive traveled up and down the country and had many fry ups but this had to be one of the best. I stayed a total of five nights il be honest even tho it loooks abit dated from the outside it has to be one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in and the family that run it along with the staff are so very helpful with what ever you need or would like it seems to be no trouble for them. I would highly recommend this lovely plymouth B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank marchltd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

When arriving at the Kynance Bed & Breakfast in Plymouth we did receive a warm welcome from the young guy on reception. This was overshadowed somewhat by the dark and dingy surroundings. Dated decor and an unkempt reception area / landing left a lot to be desired. He checked our names and promptly found the key to our room on the top floor. This was no problem as my boyfriend and I are more than capable of taking on a couple of flights of stairs. Or so we thought. Less stairs, more of an obstacle course of dirty laundry, sheets and God knows what else. Not the ideal start! Our room, however, was fairly clean and tidy – telly and radio worked so we were able to catch a bit of Wimbledon as we got ready to head out. We requested the use of an ironing board, which again was brought speedily up. We wished we hadn’t. To say it had seen better days – an understatement. It was broken and tatty; that alone I could deal with… but it was also FILTHY! Yuck – my clothes went un-ironed!

On the plus side we were given a key to the main door also, so we could return to the hotel as and when we wanted. Perfect! We arrived back around 1am to a room that let in pretty much all noise from the hotel and surrounding area. We were, however, sufficiently drunk so had a bit of a chat and crashed out. If you’re travelling with family or enjoy a good night’s sleep don’t bother! A courtesy wakeup call from the seagulls outside our window at 6 wasn’t really appreciated, BUT we were by the sea after all so shouldn’t be too harsh!
After the grubby washing and minging ironing board I didn’t fancy breakfast – my boyfriend though, never to be out done, went down to eat and quite enjoyed it. Standard “Full English” with no complaints from him. When I was showering we had another unwelcome guest. The maid let herself in, quickly mumbling an apology of “…thought you’d gone”. Not ideal but nothing earth shattering. Not wanting to disappoint she’d taken the time to litter the stairway with washing again! Navigating our way down with a hangover proving a little trickier than the afternoon before!

‘Checking Out’ resurrected memories of a dilapidated Royston Vasey. Peering out from behind frosted glass, a lady who, I can only assume was the owner. Opening the door she didn’t introduce herself or even bother to get up from her swivel chair. “…You the one I spoke to on the phone?…My friend Jane will deal with you”. Very strange. Needless to say we paid up with ‘Jane’ who politely engaged in some common place chit-chat before we made our speedy getaway.

All in all our stay was fine, if only for a place to sleep, but for 55 quid we really expected a little more. Namely MORE tidiness and cleanliness - LESS creepy oddness, room interruptions and noise.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LilyOOO
Lorient, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

I went to this hotel because the youth hostels in Plymouth wouldn't let me arrive after 11pm. I had a very nice room, clean, with TV and an electric kettle. The bed was also very confortable. You won't be desapointed by the breakfast. I ad a traditional full english breakfast and after many stays in differents hotel, i can affirm it was the best i've never had. Later in the afternoon, the hotel owner even gave me a lift to the ferry port. To sum up, I had a very enjoyable time in this cosy hotel, 5 minutes away from the shore (by foot).

Etienne

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank etienne89
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

We are a group of retired French ladies whose hobby is dancing/singing/entertaining in retirement/residential homes. We come to Plymouth every few years, and our stay is organised through the Brest Twinning Panel who look after us and fix up our hotel, our meals, our venues and visits. We are "Iroise Animations". from Brest ORB (retired group) We could not have received a warmer welcome, and more amenable service! We were delighted with the hotel and the very convenient location.

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Meg1945
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

I've felt the need to repost his review as I didn't see it on the website and I want people to know how good this hotel was at accomodating my elderly grandmother. Have been travelling a lot and its rare I've got such a pleasant and accomodating family to deal with. Nothing was a problem, they were very very sweet to my grandmother and really went the extra mile to ensure she was comfortable. I would even go as far as to say any negative reviews of this place were mistaken!

Room Tip: Just ask nicely and you'll get what you want!