“Pint, pie and a punch up!”

The Three Pilchards
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Polperro
Price range: USD 3 - USD 21
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Home Cooked, Fresh, Locally Sourced Food. Specialising in hearty meals and fresh fish dishes.
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We have been coming to polperro for many years and the Three Pilchards has always been one of our favourite places to eat and drink. This year however, we had a most unfortunate experience. We had just eaten our food (which was excellent by the way) when a fight broke out in the bar. At first, the main protagonist appeared to be a random troublemaker, fighting with members of a local group, celebrating the making of a new Mayor. The next thing I knew, 2 brawling men came flying through our area of the restaurant and knocked me off my chair, resulting in our drinks going flying, and me ending up on the floor underneath our upturned table and chairs, as they continued fighting. Luckily I am robust enough to survive such an incident, and nobody else was hurt, but I was most surprised to learn that the person who appeared to be the aggressor and had come flying through our area fighting with another man, was in fact the Landlord. There were families and older people in our area of the bar, many of whom left following the melee, and the thing that disappointed me the most was that at no point did any member of staff, or indeed the Landlord, come to see if everyone was ok. Had I been elderly or infirm, I could have been seriously injured, as I was seriously sent flying across the room. I understand that incidents like this can randomly happen in a pub, but the least I would have expected, would have been for the manager to have come and checked that their customers were ok. Not good. The pie was excellent however, hence the stars....

5  Thank Jackflash64
DanKat80, Owner at The Three Pilchards, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

My Sincerest apologies that you had to witness what is Absolutely a one-off occurrence for us here at The Three Pilchards.
We accept families, dogs, elderly couples, people from every walk of life - however we do not tolerate abuse from locals or tourists when it comes to our staff and customers and always try to appease this in the best manner that we can. Unfortunately this seemed to be a situation that could not be calmly diffused, and from looking back at CCTV it is clear to see that the Landlord was set upon by a local on his entry to the Pub (after having a phonecall from a member of staff about a group of them being disgruntled at the bar) and tried to hold the assailant down - the resulting scuffle ending with a table being knocked over and the offending party being ejected from the Pub.

I am extremely sorry that you got caught in the crossfire of such a scene and although our Manager gave a public apology in the bar, due to the few minutes of chaos that occurred, we were unaware that you were knocked from your seat.
I sincerely hope you are ok and apologise profusely.

On a positive note, absolutely thrilled that you still enjoyed your meals with us and that your visit was not ruined by this unfortunate event. We hope you are able to look past the matter and visit us again in the future.

Kind Regards
Kat, Dan and The Three Pilchards Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

As a lady on my own on holiday here, I visited this pub after seeing there was an outside upstairs seating area, taking advantage of the beautiful weather and the views over the hills, trees and houses. There are quite a few steep steps to get up there but it's well worth it. I then sat relaxing with a gin and tonic in the sunshine, and after enjoying a lovely meal - I was hooked!
I visited most days after that for either lunchtime or teatime and enjoyed several dishes - I would particularly recommend the Steak and Ale pie which was delicious.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and inside the pub is cosy and full of character.
Highly recommended!

3  Thank libbyl00
DanKat80, Owner at The Three Pilchards, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Thank you for your review - we really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback - and brilliant to hear you enjoyed your experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

The 3 pilchards, well firstly I’d like to state that I consider myself a bit of a foodie in the sense of loving food, food of any shape or form but after my visit to the 3 pilchards I don’t think I will ever enjoy food again. You have set the bar way to high for me now. Dining out after the 3 pilchards I have been nothing but disappointed.
So impressed even bought the hoodies as a reminder of our happy times.
Partner also not happy, scollops were way to good for any other restaurant to match.
Also best side salad to compliment our meals we have ever experienced.
Setting were amazing, and staff friendly.
Music enjoyed by all ( rock)

So because of this we must now return to polperro each year for our family holiday for our food fix.
Please treat your chefs well, we don’t want you to leave. We need to know where you are at all times.

Thanks a lot 3P. Not pleased. Forever your biggest and hungriest fans.

2  Thank Janepowell84

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Great pub lovely location magnificent views from the garden especially from the top level!
The staff are lovely and very helpful.
The food is very good and very reasonably priced for such big portions.best fish and chips around and that includes the coddy shack and catch as I had both of them while in the area!
Well kept local ale and to top it off the resident dog chases the gulls away!
One of the best pubs I’ve ever been in!

2  Thank vicburgen

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Must visit....the views from the terraced garden area the best in Polperro. The food was delicious with generous portions and ate here more than once, always amazing fast service and staff were so friendly and prepared to go out of their way to help. Lovely young couple in charge and doing an amazing job.

2  Thank _danibryant1974