“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Auckland
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Had a great 4 nights here. Lovely 2 bedroom apartment, very spacious and comfortable. Would love to stay here again one day. Plenty to see in Cornwall, used Porth Veor as our base, and lovely to return to it every evening. Apartment was well equiped. Had a fab 3 course dinner in the hotel one evening.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rudha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

My Husband and I recently had our wedding at Porth Veor Manor Hotel and can honestly say that it couldn't of been better. The manager, Andrew Griffiths and his fantastic team, were completely professional and attentive to all our needs on our big day. We live in Buckinghamshire and could only attend Cornwall once, prior to our wedding, as we first discovered the venue last year at The Royal Cornwall Show Wedding Marquee. As you can imagine everything was arranged via telephone and e.mail, something which may sound highly stressful/difficult, however, Andrew was a continuous source of help and support throughout all preparations. We stayed at Porth Cottage just down from the hotel with our son the week prior to the wedding, which was absolutely lovely and enabled us to have easy access to the venue and fun on the beach. Everything went without a hitch, the food was divine, customer service fantastic and all our friends and family couldn't praise this perfectly located spot, with its lovely seaviews and high standards of cleanliness. We are looking forward to popping in for a cream tea next year on a little break away, to once again embrace it's relaxed and friendly "home from home" atmosphere. We would highly recommend Porth Veor Manor for either a break away or to hold your big day, we will always have fond memories of this wonderful hotel x

Room Tip: The seaviews are spot on and lovely to wake up to x
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AmberFoxy
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Recently we had our Wedding reception at Porth Veor Manor hotel and have to say everything was more than we hoped for. Right from our initial enquiry the staff were extremely helpful and very prompt and responding to any questions we had. Andrew Griffiths in particular was very calming and reassured us that everything would be in hand. When discussing the details of the Wedding at no point did Andrew push for us to select anything we did not want or could afford. Although they are obviously there to make money he seemed more interested in ensuring what we chose was what we wanted and that the day was tailored around us.

We had to leave the venue decorations with Andrew and the staff as our Wedding was first thing in the morning and I have to say I was overwhelmed with how they had presented the room! The staff were very attentive but subtle throughout the day and everything went like clockwork!

The venue itself is stunning and such a hidden little jem. It is very clean and well maintained throughout with a light and breezy feel to it whilst at the same time feeling very homley.

All of our guests commented on the day including the venue on how impressed they were and how lovely the food was, complements to the chef! Several of our guests also rented an appartment within the premises and I have to say when I went round they are very well kept and a perfect base for a holiday.

Since the Wedding I have been approached by one of our guests for the details on the hotel as he has a friend that is looking for a venue for a Wedding and another guest of ours has since used the venue for some photos connected with promotions at work.

I am saddened to read the previous write up as this definitely does not reflect our experience of the Porth Veor Manor and have to say would recommend the venue to anyone! We will definitely be back for coffee and a meal!

Room Tip: We had the Honeymoon suite as it was our Wedding!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda W
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

We booked a short break at the Porth Veor for my partners birthday at the end of September. First impressions were fine and the self catering apartment was presentable with a nice view and we thought we were in for a nice stay until I decided to make coffee in the cafetiere supplied. As I pressed the plunger down the seal on the lid must have been faulty and hot water squirted out like a fountain all over my face and approximately a 4 foot radius. The pain was excruciating and I was in total shock and panic as my 6 month old daughter was playing on the floor and I wasn't sure if she had been caught in the spray. I was screaming in pain and shock as my partner phoned reception to see if they had a medic/first aider on site. He was told 'sorry, we don't'. My partner then explained what happened and the person on reception said that he would give him the number of the local hospital. After bathing my face in cold water and applying a small packet of burn gel (which was in the first aid kit ) my partner contacted the hospital who told us to come to their a&e dept immediately. Not at any point did any body come from the hotel to see if they could be of assistance.
After returning from the hospital where I was told to stay out of sunlight for fear of worsening the already blistering burns I made a call to reception once again to ask for more burn gel. A gentleman called down with the burn gel and I asked him to ask the Manager to call in to complain about the cafetiere and the fact that there was no first aider on site and that they had not recorded the accident in an accident report book. I was told that 'the question would be asked but we are very busy as we have a wedding on!'. The manager never called during our stay.
I have since made a complaint to the owners of the hotel who have denied any negligence and they then told me that they had filled the accident book in , I was never asked to countersign this book so cannot vouch for what was put in it!!!
The hotel itself is lovely but my word of warning is don't have an accident there (especially if they are busy!!)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sian B
acgriffiths, Manager at BEST WESTERN Porth Veor Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
It is unfortunate this person has decided to put a review about our service on the world wide web when we looked after her as best we could. She had an accident with a cafetiere in her apartment. Please see my letter of reply to her below.

Dear Sian Beetlestone,
Thank you for your e-mail I received below which has been forwarded to me to reply. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner as I was away on annual leave until today.
It is unfortunate you had an accident whilst staying at the Porth Veor Manor Villas and Apartments. We take great care to ensure all equipment in the Villas is in a good working order before letting and I am surprised this incident occurred. After the incident we have used the cafetiere a number of times and unfortunately have been unable to replicate the incident and have found no fault with the cafetiere. I can only assume it was either filled up with too much hot water or was plunged down too quickly when you were using it, which caused the hot water to rush up, this is beyond my control.
On the day in questions (01.10.11) when you rang the Hotel our duty manager on this day was Stephen, who you spoke to. He offered assistance and enquired if there was anything he could do and gave you the number for Newquay Hospital, he then asked if you would need a taxi to the Hospital. He then brought some burn gel which we have in our and first aid box to help ease your pain.
Stephen came through and informed me an accident had occurred and that he had given you the information I have stated above. I was busy acting as Master of Ceremonies for the wedding on the day and after speaking to my duty manager, who had offered you assistance, I felt he had dealt with the situation professionally and it did not require my attention. Obviously in hindsight I now see I should have at least come down later to see how you were, for this I can only apologize. As far as I was aware everything was dealt with on the day and minor first aid was offered to you. I did not hear anything further during your stay so presumed all was well.
According current law we had two first aiders on the premises that day but after initial consultation with the Duty Manager it was not deemed necessary for them to attend and the necessary action had already been taken. Also according to the law we completed an accident report.
As a company and as a Manager we take accidents happening on our premises very seriously and feel we have dealt with this matter as professionally as we can. We have put practices in place to minimize the risk to all persons using the premises and continue to monitor to make sure these practices are working. I can only apologize your accident took away your enjoyment of your short break and would like to offer you an ex-gratia discount on a future holiday to be taken in 2012.
Please contact me personally to book so I am able to offer you the best discount.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is the forth time I have stayed at the Porth Veor Manor Hotel as I am a business traveller and am often in the area.
I do enjoy staying at the hotel as it is generally comfortable and the breakfast is brilliant!
However, I was not greatly impressed with this visit to be honest and just a couple of observations if this hotel wishes to be 'business traveller' friendly...
The hotel has recently changed its policy of free wi-fi whilst staying at the hotel to 1 hour free wi-fi. To the business traveller, this is useless. I tried to tell this to the chap behind the desk but he just repeated the hotel policy back to me. He did however give me a code to send and receive emails in the morning which was appreciated.
Very, very noisy fan assisted heater in my room which went on and off intermittently all night. There was a sign saying instructions to turn off the heater were in the folder, but I couldn't find them. Whats wrong with radiator heating? It works fine in other buildings!
Finally, my room was up on the top floor at the 'car park view' side of the building. I couldn't help but wonder why I did not receive a better room if there were only 4 - 5 rooms occupied in the building (only 4 entries in the breakfast ledger)? Surely it makes sense to upgrade a guest if possible to encourage a returning visit?
As mentioned by others, the beds are hard. Perhaps the hotel may consider a foam underlay?
In short, I wouldn't stay again because the hotel does not cater to my needs anymore (no available working space in the room either) but it is not a bad hotel by any means and I hope the hotel finds my review helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RyanBurke
acgriffiths, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Porth Veor Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
I would like to thank the reviewer for his kind comments about the Hotel regarding breakfast and generally how comfortable his stay was. With regard to the wifi I have been here for three years and the wifi policy has always been 1 hour free in any 24 hour period after this it is chargeable. This is usual practice in a high number of hotels and most of our guests are happy with the free hour. For an extra £7-00 you can get another 4 hours of wifi which most business travellers would be able to claim as an expense. The room rate for a double room was only £59-00 on a bed and breakfast basis. These rooms are furnished to a high 3 star standard with all mattresses having been replaced over the last 2 years. An upgrade should of been offered to this gentleman on arrival, I can only apologise why this was not done as we usually undertake this practice on a regular basis at this time of year. Radiators are fitted in all rooms except 6 on the top floor, one being the room the Gentleman had been allocated, these have electric wall heaters with a remote control to switch them off and on. Instruction for these are usually in the folder and I can only apologise that you were unable to find them. If you had telephoned reception we would of been happy to help or supply more instructions. The Manor is 250 years old and it is an expensive renovation to put heating in these rooms at this present time. We have kept the modern wall heaters as they also work as air condition in the summer. Not that we have used them much. Guests do like them when we do get the hot weather but then we get the guests without air conditioning complaining as they only have radiators!
I do welcome all comments from our guests and have used them in staff training and refurbishments I have undertaken at the Hotel since I started.