“Incompetent!”

Flounders
Ranked #2 of 29 Quick Bites in Newquay
Cuisines: Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Traditional Fish and Chip Shop Take - Away with convenience seating area. Local Delivery Available. Telephone orders welcome. Daily Specials.
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

A series of unfortunate events. Staff not very friendly and don't acknowledge 'visitors'. Friendly enough with locals though.

I had a list on my notepad of what everyone wanted and ordered 3 regular cod and chips, haddock and chips, 2 large battered sausages and 2 large curry sauces. We weren't given a receipt, which is bad practice, because I normally check that the order and the costs are correct. When we got back to the house 10 minutes later, we found that we were a cod and chips short.

I rang to say that we were short and that we'd ordered 3 cod and chips. They said that they'd only charged for two but there was no apology. They said that we could come back and pay for another cod and chips. Why would we do that when they were incapable of taking an order?

Do they not realise that all my family would have eaten by the time I got my food? She did repeat our order to us and I can't understand why we were one short.

2  Thank 628Vicki
Flounders1, Owner at Flounders, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Dear 628Vicki,

May as start with saying no, my staff are not incompetent and I find this very rude! They work extremely hard in a high pressure, busy and hot environment and you happened to come in on our busiest day of this year, our 10th anniversary where the queue was huge, and prices were discounted considerably for this day only....which I note you forgot to mention in your review.

My staff are generally friendly and considerate and I was actually working myself last night with them and know that we were friendly to everyone, more so the locals due to the nature of the evening, and they wanted to congratulate and talk about the last ten years as they have a big part of our business also. I see no wrong in this at all. Visitors still got spoken to and we were giving out balloons to families also, a lot of whom were on holiday. That is an unfair statement to say we only do not acknowledge our visitors as they are just as important to us.

I do apologise you were not given the option of having our delivery driver bring your missing cod and chips you though, we Will do a little more staff training there as that's usually the case on these isolated incidents so I will address this with all in turn.

We found In the past customers do not want to keep receipts and in an environmentally friendly world we live in now it doesn't seem just to print a duplicate receipt for a customer only to be thrown in the bin 10 minutes later. However, if you had wanted a receipt all you had to do was ask for one!

As you say, she did repeat the order to you before giving it to you indicating she was not as hostile as you made seem? Due to the nature and tone of your review I would say that is more rude than how my staff were with my customers last night.

I apologise again for the inconvenience of having your cod and chips missing and the problem not being rectified.

Regards.

R. Braddon
Director

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Being one those lasses on one of those, ‘eating plans for life’ (you Weight Watchers and Slimming Worlders know I’m not allowed to call it a diet), I’m not usually allowing myself a visit to the chippy.

Not knowing which chippy is a good
chippy, I obviously turned to Tripadvisor who said the best chippy in Newquay was Flounders. I didn’t ‘flounder’, I got myself straight down to give myself my rare treat. OMG! What a treat. A kids portion was plenty for my evening meal. Crunchy crunchy batter even with splash of vinegar and wrapped up for 15 minutes to get it home. Chips perfect.

Two days later. Had to repeat the trip knowing by the end of the week I’d be 350 miles away for another year.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Excellent little chippy, You can eat in or outside or take it away to overlook the beach just watch out for the seagulls and please don't feed them. Its very clean and the staff are very friendly. fish and chips are lovely and pickled onions are massive.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Went after work for fish and chips got home with it, started eating the fish to find that it was raw inside I will never go back their again

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I had cod and chips other half had scampi. Both very pleased with food. Ate inside and there are some table just outside too. Staff amusing and good banter. Just the job! (Also tried a weird mushy pea item in batter patty. Worth trying once, but might be an acquired taste.)

Date of visit: May 2018