“Hotel is a building site”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Checked in for one night with my daughter & grandbaby. Paid £240 for a double room with balcony. The room was incredibly small & could hardly find room for the travel cot. The balcony had sea views in the far distance but overlooked large untidy flat roof of building in front with workmen digging garden to the right. The spa was very busy but its August, the facilities were cramped in the changing room. My daughter was propositioned by a man hanging around the front door of the hotel at 7am which upset her. The grounds were literally a building site which I can understand has to be done if expanding the hotel, but for the very high cost of the room I was expecting a warning about this. Room 45 was at end of the corridor and needed a heated towel rail because towels were still damp in the morning.
The good points were the staff were all delightful.

Room Tip: Don't visit until the building work is finished.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Gina C
Greg H, Head of Operations at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Please accept our sincere apologies that the room was not large enough to fit a travel cot. I have spoken to the reservations department and we will have this updated on our room notes. I am sorry that you found the works currently being undertaken at the hotel to transform our facilities affected your stay so adversely. We are working hard to ensure that the impact is limited as much as possible on guests. Luckily, the works are not across our whole site and it is only small areas that are directly affected. We were of course shocked and concerned to read about the stranger hanging outside the hotel. Thank you for your comments and feedback which we appreciate.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed overnight for work and wish I'd had more time to enjoy the hotel. The pool and spa looked lovely! I arrived late at night in peak season but there were still a couple of parking spaces left. There's building work at the moment but, apart from a teddy on my bed announcing this and boards around some of the hotel, I wouldn't have known. Staff were friendly at check in and the room was clean, quiet and on the ground floor so I didn't need to take my bag far. The hotel is super close to the beach, I walked down pre-breakfast and the views were stunning. Breakfast was a good selection and you can sit overlooking the beach and pretty gardens. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Greg H, Head of Operations at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for a wonderful review and kind comments. Hopefully on your next return visit you will be able to spend more time with us and make use of our leisure facilities.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I cannot comment on the restaurant ,spa or wether you will get a good night's sleep as I arrived for a very much needed relaxing two day break and was shown a room in the captains house the neighbouring room whom we had to share a balcony with had a large dog constantly barking, balcony also dirty with seagull droppings the sea views were not possible to see photos on the website were obviously taken from top floor of hotel , bed linen was stained , the view from our balcony was a building site which there website does not mention carpet was worn and fraying I felt cheated and devastated we were going to be paying £498 for two nights stay husband and I looked at each other he said we can't stay here when I told reception we would not be staying and did not expect to be charged they did offer us another room but I was so shocked and upset I just needed to get away as soon as possible .

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rachel S

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and feedback following your recent stay with us. Firstly, I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel for the short comings you highlighted with regards to the barking dog in the room next door, the seagull mess and our current refurbishment. I am sorry that you found the works currently being undertaken at the hotel to transform our facilities affected your stay so adversely. We are working hard to ensure that the impact is limited as much as possible on guests. Luckily, the works are not across our whole site and it is only small areas that are directly affected. This time of year is a challenge with regards to the seagulls and we do try and keep on top of this as much as possible, however I will ensure that the team redouble their efforts.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

First time visited here for a long weekend. Very nice reception staff willing to help and smooth check-in; was lucky with parking as the car had just left it- otherwise a little limited parking availability.

Location fab- literally 1 minute walk to beach and a leisurely 20-25 minutes walk to Falmouth harbour.

They did have some extension/ refurbishment works going on at the time. Room clean, decent sized, bright but thick curtains to block out morning sunlight. Had all the usual towels and coffee making facilities.

Spa was nice- hot sauna. Unfortunately swimming pool is somewhat limited considering one has to share with (lots) of kids! Had a nice hot-stone massage too.

The problem was the restaurant (Flying Fish). Young staff very willing but simply don't have the knowledge and/ or think ahead for customers' needs. Very very slow service. Food nice and fresh. The tall guy behind the bar was good- he was probably the only one that knew his stuff in terms of drinks. Every night and breakfast we were missing something - missing a knife, missing salt & pepper, missing sugar, missing the steak knife etc. Tables all squashed together towards the windows yet the back end (near the bar) was hardly used. The female manger/ supervisor was good but had to keep covering the waitress' duties. Male manager kept wandering off and not actually focusing on the standards/ attention to detail.

Such a shame the restaurant let this place down. However we would come back once the refurbishment is done and hopefully the restaurant improves in their service and anticipation of customers needs

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElliottE94

We are really grateful for your constructive feed back and comments which is appreciated. We do recognise that we have a lot of training to do within our food and beverage department as we have taken on several new staff. I would like to personally assure you that this has started and will continue for the next 6 weeks with ongoing training. I am sorry that the Flying Fish didn't meet our usual high standards but we are delighted that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Our stay in room 14 was dreadful. £273 a night for a room with a "spectacular sea view". Instead we had a spectacular view of a diamond lattice trellis fence - see attached. The room walls were paper thin and there was a double door linking through to the neighbouring room without any sound-proofing. A wedding do went on until midnight on Saturday, during which parts of our room were actually shaking. We were then woken up at 6:30am on Sunday by the family next door's kids and could hear every word of their subsequent conversation. Trying to get some sleep in after breakfast was then interrupted by housekeeping, whose every move in neighbouring rooms was audible from ours. It was akin to staying in the world's most over-priced Travelodge.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PierreFranch
Greg H, Head of Operations at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the noise and views that you experienced from room 14, which typically is one of our more popular rooms for returning guests. We have taken your comments on board and are currently looking to resolve these issues. Thank you for your honest feedback and review and our apologies once again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
1.8 km away
0.5 km away
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!