“Great day out”

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 21,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had a brilliant day at the zoo this week. Our ages range from 78 to 10 and we all loved it. Loads to see and really well arranged. Very easy to get around. Weather not great but we still saw nearly everything. The bat area, giraffes and elephants were our favourites! Easy to get to from Chester station and plenty of coffee shops and snack stations!

1  Thank PurpleRain26
Write a ReviewReviews (13,280)
All reviews
"packed lunch"
in 235 reviews
"great family day"
in 212 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 152 reviews
in 504 reviews
"jaguar"
in 435 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed our day, however we were disappointed that we couldn't see all the animals as they weren't visible (perhaps in private indoor areas). I understand that it is important for the animals to have space away from visitors; it is just disappointing after paying a lot of money to see them! My 3 year old really enjoyed the monorail and this was a great experience for him. I agree with a previous reviewer that suggested live video screening of animals in private enclosures if not accessible to visitors. Due to this, I think we will stick with visiting our local zoo in Blackpool as the animals are more visible to visitors.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Even though 13,000 people visited yesterday so it took half an hour to drive the last mile, we had a lovely time. What I really want to write about is the customer service. I had bought monorail passes for 2 adults and 2 children, not a small amount at £14 in total but we were unable to use them due to the long queues. At the end of the day I approached guest services ready for a fight to get my money back but the lady immediately agreed to give me my money and said she'd had to give others theirs back too....all done with a smile. The staff were always lovely - at one point I was looking at a map and a lady asked me if she could help, the young man who served the ice cream was smiling and helpful despite the massive queues of stressed parents, the 'elephant' expert was friendly and had great Q & A's for the kids and at the end of a long day the gift shop assistant still was chatty and smiley. All in all a great day out.

1  Thank Rachael105
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Had a brilliant time here on the bank holiday Friday. We arrived at around 11am and had no problems get a space to park and didn't take us long to get through into the park itself.

There are so many animals to see here and they are all in excellently sized enclosures, all of them seem to have plenty of space to themselves. This admittedly was an issue for a few of the animals we wanted to see as they were clearly taking shelter due to the poor weather but, we would rather they have plenty of space than be cooped up so we can see them easily all the time.

Highlights for me were the penguins (who are having a new enclosure built so I'm going to have to come back then), the bat cave (might be a bit freaky for some people having animals flapping so close to your head) and the sun bears.

Only slight let downs were a lot of aviaries being closed due to avian flu, which was perfectly understandable and the boat ride which really isn't worth the time and effort.

Also a shout out to the nice kiosk attendant by the painted dogs who let us have refillable cups filled with slush puppy and one of the other attendants (who I shall not identify) who let us know have a giraffe cup as we didn't know such a cup existed when we first got our refillable ones! Absolute heroes.

Date of experience: March 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had a great day at Chester Zoo today, marred by one thing.....underhanded charges for drinks. On arriving, having spent almost £50 for my daughter & myself to visit our first stop was a snack hut for drinks. The price list said tea £2.30 (only one price listed) & a slush £2.50-so I was somewhat surprised when the girl serving us said “ That’s £5.10 please.” I asked how that could be, she turned to the till, pressed a button, turned back & said “£4.80.”

At lunch ordered food & drinks & paid, only afterwards I noticed a “go large” fee of 30p under my coffee-but again only one price listed. Imagine school holidays how many adults are paying 30p per drink unknowingly-feels very underhanded to me.