“Great day and fab customer service on the busiest day of the year so far!!”
Review of Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 21,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Even though 13,000 people visited yesterday so it took half an hour to drive the last mile, we had a lovely time. What I really want to write about is the customer service. I had bought monorail passes for 2 adults and 2 children, not a small amount at £14 in total but we were unable to use them due to the long queues. At the end of the day I approached guest services ready for a fight to get my money back but the lady immediately agreed to give me my money and said she'd had to give others theirs back too....all done with a smile. The staff were always lovely - at one point I was looking at a map and a lady asked me if she could help, the young man who served the ice cream was smiling and helpful despite the massive queues of stressed parents, the 'elephant' expert was friendly and had great Q & A's for the kids and at the end of a long day the gift shop assistant still was chatty and smiley. All in all a great day out.

1  Thank Rachael105
Write a ReviewReviews (13,250)
All reviews
"packed lunch"
in 234 reviews
"great family day"
in 212 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
in 151 reviews
in 504 reviews
"jaguar"
in 435 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Had a brilliant time here on the bank holiday Friday. We arrived at around 11am and had no problems get a space to park and didn't take us long to get through into the park itself.

There are so many animals to see here and they are all in excellently sized enclosures, all of them seem to have plenty of space to themselves. This admittedly was an issue for a few of the animals we wanted to see as they were clearly taking shelter due to the poor weather but, we would rather they have plenty of space than be cooped up so we can see them easily all the time.

Highlights for me were the penguins (who are having a new enclosure built so I'm going to have to come back then), the bat cave (might be a bit freaky for some people having animals flapping so close to your head) and the sun bears.

Only slight let downs were a lot of aviaries being closed due to avian flu, which was perfectly understandable and the boat ride which really isn't worth the time and effort.

Also a shout out to the nice kiosk attendant by the painted dogs who let us have refillable cups filled with slush puppy and one of the other attendants (who I shall not identify) who let us know have a giraffe cup as we didn't know such a cup existed when we first got our refillable ones! Absolute heroes.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had a great day at Chester Zoo today, marred by one thing.....underhanded charges for drinks. On arriving, having spent almost £50 for my daughter & myself to visit our first stop was a snack hut for drinks. The price list said tea £2.30 (only one price listed) & a slush £2.50-so I was somewhat surprised when the girl serving us said “ That’s £5.10 please.” I asked how that could be, she turned to the till, pressed a button, turned back & said “£4.80.”

At lunch ordered food & drinks & paid, only afterwards I noticed a “go large” fee of 30p under my coffee-but again only one price listed. Imagine school holidays how many adults are paying 30p per drink unknowingly-feels very underhanded to me.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We enjoyed our day, I must admit that I was exhausted, but the grandchildren aged 11 and 4 were still full energy. We had a few conversations with staff, and we found everyone of them were pleasant and full of knowledge.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Seen this Zoo featured on the TV which inspired us to visit and it did not disappoint either. It's quite big so you will need a full day set aside as it has several different species of animals some of which are unique and unknown in a vast area. Plenty of parking and it does warn you that if it gets busy, be prepared to park in the overflow which can be muddy.There were a few closures more so with the birds due to possible flu but that is understandable considering some of the birds are extinct. If you go around opening times which is 10am the queue is not so bad. We booked online which is cheaper and enabled us to fast track in. You get a free map which tells you about the zoo and times of the talks about various animals. We suggest you go to these talks especially if you have kids as it is not too long and can be quite funny too. There are plenty of toilets, play areas, picnic tables and places to eat on site. Food slightly pricey however the quality is good. We had Hot Dogs and a Drink offer x 2 for £11.50 all in. There is a Lazy River ride which is free so worth going on just for a sit down and chill. Staff friendly and helpful however disappointed not to see the stars of the TV series around..day off probably?! Would we go back? Yes without a doubt as they are improving and developing new and exciting animals for the future.