Holly House Guest House
USD 254*
Official Site
USD 160*
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Holly House Guest House! Our room was excellent.
Full English breakfast was delicious and I loved the home made yogurt! Kate and Alex are great hosts! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy_112_1
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Firstly, This review is based not on the quality of either the Guest House rooms or food at Holly House. This review is based on the subject of service by them. Although i booked to stay at Holly House on 26/02/2012 via Lastminute.com, i never actually had the opportunity to see the place. However, i feel that prospective customers need to know why so that they may hopefully avoid the same problems that i encountered.
To cut to the chase, having booked a double room through Lastminute.com for £72 for one night plus breakfast, i received the usual confirmation from Lastminute and awaited our day to stay at Holly House, namely Saturday 24th March 2012. There was no problem with the booking and the availability of rooms there at the time of booking.
At 4.02pm on Friday, 23rd March 2012 i received a phone call from the Receptionist at Holly House. She informed me that my booking was going to be relocated to their nearby "sister" Guest House named Strathearn. Holly House is self-proclaimed by the owners/management on their website to be a 4 star premises, and they rate Strathearn as 3 star (by their email to me). So, a downgrade was offered for my inconvenience and not an upgrade. The reason i was given by the receptionist was that they had received a booking from 8 "business people" and they had booked them into Holly House. To accomodate them they moved my booking to Strathearn. Interestingly, when i asked why this situation had arisen she informed me that this whole situation was "about the money". I was shocked that she admitted this. Clearly their money is better than mine. I then asked when these "business people" had placed their booking, however this is when her responses became more vague. No answer was given. She then sent me an email at 4.16pm on this day to confirm my relocation to a lower grade Guest House.
The email then descibed their booking of the "business people" as 'long term'.
I was then left with a situation with Lastminute, on a Friday evening, trying to make sense as to why my booking could no longer be accomodated, despite their website showing rooms available at the time of booking. By then of course, nothing could be done. I declined the relocation to Strathearn.
The fact that Holly House broke the bad news to me at 4.02pm on the day before my departure, a Friday, speaks volumes. Have you tried to get help from someone outside of the emergency services at 4pm on a Friday and got anywhere?
A representative from Lastminute said that they had tried to contact the management at Holly House, but they weren't prepared to discuss matters.
Holly House is not so big a Guest House that they can't keep track of their bookings i am sure.
Despite my enquiries and protestations to Lastminute about this situation i was left with no accomodation, and i certainly was not going to be downgraded for my inconvenience.
What an insult. No doubt if this review appears on TripAdvisor and they (Holly House) read it, the management of Holly House will plea that this was all an oversight on their part.
Well i will let you the reader to decide on this.
A key point about staying at any place is to be made to feel welcome and that your custom is appreciated. You don't want to feel unwelcome or inferior to others. This is how i was left to feel. Holly House has clearly had many satisfied customers on other reviews, hence why i booked to stay there. However, sometimes you don't always get what you wish for, it appears.
This is just a warning to prospective guests thinking of booking at Holly House, you may not get your wish...if they get a better offer in the meantime. This place clearly does not honour bookings on a first come first served basis.

Room Tip: Tell them you are someone very important !
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeighCenturion
Holly_House_Chester, Manager at Holly House Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

With reference to your review you have placed, unfortunately your tale is not accurate. We had communication via e-mail and we are deeply sorry that you felt let down.

- Fact: We got into the unconvenient situation of overbooking. A group of people booked in for a while. They worked long night shifts, slept during the day, leaving at the same time. When they got up on Friday afternoon, suddenly confirmed the continuation of their stay.
- What we did to avoid disappointment: First, we tried to book you in at a few guest houses of higher or the same 4 star rating nearby, but there were no vacancies, tried others in the area, no luck. Then we went for a lower rated option only to remain in the same part of Chester and found one. Having a word with the owners of the other B&B, they reassured us to provide the highest quality of service offering a really nice en-suite double room and adding extras to the breakfast menu as a compensation. The price difference between the room originally booked and the one offered is only £7 speaks for itself, the level of service is nearly the same. The difference would’ve been refunded as well.
- True: the recepcionist called you in a polite apologetic way informing you about it. Later, you called back the recepcionist speaking to her in a bit violent way. Our recepcionist is an honest young lady, she doesn’t deserve such a bad manner.
- Untrue: our receptionist never informed you that this whole situation was "about the money". It’s part of your hearsay.
- Falsehood: when you say: “i was left with no accomodation” We did our best to come up with an alternative solution. You decided to refuse it, didn’t give us the chance to put things right.You are attempting a smear campaign with your words. It is rather insulting. You go a bit too far.

Just to add to all these: later on Saturday, you got the information from Lasminute.com that you can withdraw from the reservation free of charge, only then you decided to cancel it and got a full refund, but we had to pay a cancellation fee to the other place as it was 3PM on the same day when we were told.

We all work very hard to maintain high standards and you should not be allowed to ruin the good reputation we’ve built up over the past.

I'm sure others reading your long-winded story alongside the other positive reviews left for us will see that you really didn't have cause to leave such a negative review.

I hope you found somewhere that met your expectations and enjoyed your stay there just like our guests who have always been made to feel welcome at Holly House Guest House.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed just for one night with our 7 year old and found the annexe ideal for a family of three. An easy walk into Chester, but also has conveniences very close by. The beds were really comfortable and the homemade scones and breakfast were excellent. Kate was extremely polite and welcoming. Very impressed with our stay here.

2  Thank indianna m
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just returned from Holly House. There was my wife and I and also Son, Partner and their son. We arrived earlier than expected and was welcomed with tea, coffee and scones. We left our luggage and went shopping and returned later in the afternoon.
We were shown to our room and was very impressed. Although on the smallish side there was still more than adequate room for the two of us. Also there was toiletries, tea and coffee, dvd`s cd`s and flat screen tv.
The breakfast on the following morning was superb. We had the full English but there was plenty of other options if this is not your thing. The scones are excellent and the home made jam, which you can also buy.
Kate the Hostess is lovely. She always had a smile and greeted you with open arms.
I would recommend this place to anyone going to Chester. I really cannot think of any negative points to report.
Keep up the good work Kate as you deserve all the excellent reviews on here.

1  Thank AXLNUNEATON
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Me, my partner, our son and my parents all arrived in the morning (Before checking in time) to be greeted with smiles, a cup of coffee and fresh home made scones (Delicious). .
We were allowed to leave our luggage with the hotel while we took a walk around Chester and arrived back to find our luggage taken to our rooms.

Myself, my son and partner stayed in the Annex around the back. If anybody is considering staying here, you HAVE to stay in this! For an additional £15 of the price of a standard room, you have a powerful shower, your own kitchen, a comfortable double bed and fantastic heating.

Nothing was EVER too much bother. We devoured the breakfast but were still offered more toast, coffee and tea and everything was set up for my son.
If you find a poor review on here, please ignore it. It's just someone being picky and unappreciative. The sort who love to complain. Each to their own, but I think the number of high reviews is a fair reflection on their service. Well done guys.

I'd highly recommend this place and there's no doubt in my mind if I return to Chester, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Annex is like a mini-home!
3  Thank Glynn81