“Beautiful Food, Wonderful People”
Review of Cotto

Cotto
Ranked #11 of 753 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: USD 85 - USD 105
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open for dinners , Tuesdays - Saturdays from 6.30pm . Independent Restaurant , which is Situated inside The Gonville Hotel , Gonville Place , Cambridge , CB11LY , Mid January 2017 . We source the best quality Meat, Fish , Vegetables and products. 5-7 Housemade breads daily changing. Minimum three courses menu . Traditional , handcrafted style , from Masterchef ( Kuchen meister ) Hans Schweitzer and his brigade. Desserts a speciality , Signature dish - 'The Chocolate Piano ' designed and created by Luciano Pavarotti .
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I live in Cambridge but this was my first time. Really fantastic, friendly people running both the kitchen and front of house. All the food was beautiful - my favourite was the game veloute but the cheese and tomato bread is also recommended, and my halibut and plum and pear dessert were great. Nothing pretentious about the place; nice portions, really great.

1  Thank brianthomasnolan

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had such a fantastic night that I don’t hesitate in writing a glowing review. Pre dinner drinks in the bar area, with live musical performances, demonstrated a great (and unexpected) use of shared space with the Gonville Hotel (overlooking Parker’s Piece). Once escorted through to the luxuriously decorated restaurant, the experience went up a level. From the quality of the drinks menu, through to the tremendous menu - starting with amuse-bouche to prepare you for the meal ahead and give a glimpse into Chef Hans Schweitzer’s approach to the art of cuisine, through to the service. Kind, attentive (yet unobtrusive), knowledgeable staff, each showing care and respect for each other’s chosen career disciplines. The sommelier was right on the money with his guidance. The menu offered something for everyone; I’m a vegetarian and my husband a fully fledged meat eater and we both couldn’t fault the place. The Cotto recommends a 4 week lead in time for reservations. Book with the throughly professional and thoughtful maître d', dress up and let the restaurant take you through a decadent and memorable experience.

1  Thank Married2AChef
Reviewed 10 October 2017

During a short break in Cambridge, we booked for Cotto - and were so delighted we did. Everything was superb, from the initial greeting to the very friendly farewell. The staff were all very professional and at the same time friendly. The menu was inspired. There was only one thing I would not have chosen, but that is simply becasuse I do not eat veal. I could very happily have had any of the other choices. Every course we had was finely balanced, beautifully presented, and absolutely delicious. It may on first look appear expensive, but believe me, it was worth every penny.

As in many things in life, it is the little things that make a big difference. And so it was at Cotto. The choice of breads was the best I have seen for a long time; the waiter noticed when our water glasses needed replenishing without being asked; the wait between courses was just right, not rushed, but not left waiting too long.

We have eaten in many top tier restaurants over the years, and Cotto stands out as one of the best ever, and we cannot wait to return to Cambridge and go again.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

I had the best meal I've had in Cambridge here. While expensive, it really is worth it. The staff are incredibly helpful and the food is great. I had the scallops to start which were perfectly cooked, followed by the venison and then the chocolate piano that was divine. All the dishes were beautifully presented too. The bread with truffle butter is delicious too! There is a great wine list (the Riesling is amazing) with lots of choice. I will certainly be back! Thank you.

1  Thank GeorgieScarles
Reviewed 6 October 2017

This is definitely our favourite high-end restaurant in the area. We came mid-week for my birthday with family. Briefly, the service remains excellent. I can't abide long waits in restaurants and I've never had one in the three visits we've made to Cotto this year. I love the quality of wine by the glass so we don't all have to have the same wine, or drink more than we want because a bottle has been opened. I love the service, which pitches the exact right note: always friendly, helpful without being matey. I like the location, with the view of lights at this time of year and the fact the tables are spaced correctly, and there's enough carpet and textile to ensure the quiet to hear yourself talk. And naturally I love the food: two of us had the cured sea trout and venison. The latter has improved from when I chose it on my first visit and it was good, then. Two of us had the game velouté and lamb, which they loved. We all had a different pudding: mine was the plum tart, which was one of the nicest puddings I've had in a long time - providing contrasts between sweet and more acidic, and contrasts in texture between luscious ice cream and light, crumbly pastry, It is so rare to find a restaurant where all three courses are equally strong. We will be back.

1  Thank LHRA