“Good for what we needed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victoria Square Hotel

Victoria Square Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good for what we needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night as we were attending a function in Bristol, and it worked out cheaper to stay the night then to get travel home.
The hotel room itself was very simple, yet clean.
As said, we were just really using it as somewhere to crash for the night so I was not really bothered by the room, but if I was on holiday I would not be impressed by it. The television in the room is very small and far away from the bed. It has a laminate wood floor which has no rug and is very cold as the room was in the basement. The bed was quite comfortable but the bedding was not anything special, looked a bit tired and no nice cusions or anything to make it look nice. The towels were also very tired looking. There was a dressing table, but only a very tiny mirror on it (shaving style mirror). The bathroom was ok, but could have been a bit cleaner. I work in a hotel myself, so these are all just things I would expect.
The breakfast in the morning was quite shocking, with noone greeting us nicely, tea/coffee came with no milk or teaspoons...we had to ask. The food was buffet syle, which is fine, but not much room and the bacon and sausages were very very salty.
As I have said...absolutly fine for what we needed...somewhere to sleep the night, but if I was a traveller on holiday I would not have been impressed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

This hotel is officially rated as 2 Star, and I think it represents a true reflection of the premises. The location is split over the two buildings in a fabulous location close to the heart of the lovely area of Clifton - great restaraunts, bars and shops all in walking distance.

There is a reasonably sized free car park but a very tight entrance, so be careful if in a large car Mondeo sized; you'll get in but go slowly. The staff were all very friendly and helpful during my stay and appeared very keen to serve. The breakfast was good and I was able to serve myself so portions would be whatever you wanted.

There is a bar and restaraunt at the hotel, but this would be missing out on the best bits of the area so eat out - out of the hotel front door and turn left. I can thouroughly recommend the Clifton Sausage, Fishers, The Albion and Prosecco as fantastic independant local eateries.

I had a single room which was tiny. The carpet was looking dated, the furniture was ok but the bed was comfy and that was the most important thing for me. The bathroom was adequate with a good shower but no bath. I slept very well without disturbance.

Room Tip: Go for a double room; the single is cheaper but it is tiny
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We booked this hotel to see the hot air balloon fiesta which is a must see, the hotel was clean and spacious, very helpful reception staff, and breakfast staff always had a smile for us even after a 10 hour shift :) breakfast was lovely one of our treats when we go away would recommend this hotel if a visit to Bristol is on the books very enjoyable.

Room Tip: We stayed in the second block the rooms we had were spacious
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

The hotel consists of two separate buildings - both older in character, but with rooms that have been clearly updated in stages (some rooms more updated than others). We had two rooms, both in different buildings, both OK.

Great location across from Victoria square and food/shopping in Clifton. Not far from the University. Breakfasts OK. All up a pleasant stay without anything great or terrible to report.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

misMANAGEMENT, VERY INCOMPETENT, NOISY DAMP ROOMS - DO NOT STAY THERE !!

Room was changed from the one reserved

They even over charged me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for a Travel Lodge or Premier inn .......................

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
victoriasquare, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Best Western Victoria Square Hotel. I am taken aback by your comments that we are incompetent. I have recently taken over as manager since late June this year and can assure you and any future guests that our front of house team at reception, the bar & the restaurant are anything but rude or incompetent. We are an independent hotel (as all Best Western Hotels are) and take customer service very seriously, all staff are smart, professional and go out of their way to ensure all guest needs are met. Your review gives very little description to explain your comments so cannot respond with anything more specific than this.

The hotel is situated in Clifton, a trendy but quieter area than central Bristol. The rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the road will get some traffic noise but also enjoy views over the leafy Victoria Square. It is certainly not a major road. If guests prefer a rear facing room, away from the square this can be arranged on request. Indeed if you had come to reception we would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative room.

The rooms we sell are single, double, twin & family. We do not offer grades of room e.g. standard, superior, deluxe etc. so I cannot see how your room was different to the one booked.

June is a warm month through which we are normally providing fans to keep the rooms cool, so the heating is not on in June.

I am sorry if you were overcharged for your room. I hope you have since contacted us regarding this matter to which we would of course refund any overpayment.

Indeed you may prefer a travel lodge or premier inn, although many of these are situated on very central busy roads & roundabouts, and certainly will not be overlooking a stunning Georgian square.

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels