All reviews fresh fruit loose leaf tea single room secure garage independent hotel ground coffee private parking early night shower pressure relaxing break decent shower little touches lovely hotel whiteladies road convenient location mini bar bed was comfortable
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed for one night in a single room. The receptionist was very polite and helpful.

The hotel has its own little enclosed car park that holds c10-12 cars, a few doors up from the hotel. It’s first come first served, and is rather small inside, so be aware if you have a large car. On street parking is metered till 9pm. (I hasten to add that the hotel states all this on their website.)

The room itself was tiny, but brilliantly designed so that everything you need is there.

Good points:
* Breakfast nice

Bad points:
* TV doesn’t work
* Grubby, stained curtains
* Run down... some of the room’s fittings were dirty, broken, old, or hanging
* Kettle and instant coffee provided, but no tea bags or milk. UPDATE: I eventually found it, in an unlabelled drawer. The “loose-leaf tea” “selected from local suppliers in Bristol” was Twinings tea bags. The “freshly ground coffee” was in a small pot that looked like it’d been there for a while. Hardly fresh. Thing is, no one expects loose leaf tea and freshly ground coffee in a hotel room, but don’t say you offer it when you don’t.
* Fire alarm at 7am... turns out it was a false alarm. No one’s fault, but a little worrying that no other guests had made it down, were even awake or were being woken by staff
* Mattress rather saggy and lumpy

Would I stay here again? Yes.

It did the job for a relatively low price.

But I’d probably check other hotels’ availability first. For a similar price, you can get much more. (I booked quite late, hence no availability elsewhere.)

Trip type: Travelled solo
Jack C, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Sherpa37939111291,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and feedback with us. I am sorry to hear that you had issues wiht the room during your stay. We are currently having refurbishments of our single rooms which have begun this week which will address some of the more tired fittings in the room. I apologise that the curtains were stained, and that the TV did not work. Maintenance have been into the room and checked that the TV is now working and housekeeping have addressed the issue with the curtains which are going to be replaced when we refurbish. Having been into the rooms I understand that the drawer with the tea, coffee, milk etc... needs to be more clearly labelled and we asked for some stickers to be designed to make this clearer for our guests; thank you for bringing this to our attention. The tea and coffee that we provide are freshly topped up by our housekeeping team everyday, we also offer tea bags for those who prefer it. I apologise that the alarm went off during your stay and can assure you that there are clear fire procedures in place.

Unfortunately I cannot find your specific booking using your TripAdvisor handle in order for me to address the issue with the mattress. I was wondering if you could get in touch by emailing lizzie.swyer@cliftonhotels.com to let me know the details of your booking.

I am pleased despite some of the issues that you had that you found the room brilliantly designed and had everything you needed. Our housekeeping team and front of house team work very hard to give our guests the best service so I am pleased that you found them helpful. The breakfast in Racks is delicious and is a firm favourite with our guests so I am glad that you enjoyed it!

I hope that you will return to us in the future. For the best available rates please book directly with us over the phone, via email or on our website.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really nice place to stay. Visiting Bristol with 2 other friends and the Clifton was perfect for the job.
Very close to all bars and other nightlife.
Great location.
Nice sized room, and exceptional staff.
Only issue would be the tv reception was spotty at best with only one channel working, but hey, let’s face it, that’s not overly important at all, just would’ve been nice to have had the option.
Will definitely stay again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Jack C, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Christopher V,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I am sorry to hear that you had issues with the signal on your TV which is certainly something that has been looked into as we can appreciate that after exploring Bristol you may want to sit back and watch some television. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff exception; they work extremely hard to go above and beyond for all of our guests.

It will be lovely to welcome you back in the future to the Clifton Hotel. For the best rates available please book directly over the phone, via email or on our website.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

Lovely place to stay. Easy access to the centre and Clifton. Nice clean room. Good shower and a lovely space for breakfast. Pleasant and helpful staff and reasonably priced.
Thanks to Jack Chesher for your help.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Mark S,

Thank you you so much for leaving your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you particularly enjoyed the service from Jack, the cleanliness of the room and the breakfast.

I hope that you will visit us again in the future. For the best available rates always book directly with us. You can do this over the phone, via email or on our website.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

The most positive thing about this hotel was the booking process, the price, the staff - they were super nice and helpful. However, the images, whilst accurate do not fairly represent the actual rooms. This was very shabby, quite a long way out of Bristol centre - you need a bus it was about 12 minutes walk into Clifton Village which is beautiful. It needs updating and surely they cannot coninue to offer rooms anywhere in the vicinity of the restaurant - the corridors and rooms stink of stale cooking. With a refurb and retaining the same price and staff, it would be quite a good deal but now at the moment. I've no idea why it gets such high ratings on here. We tried 3 rooms and they were all extremely basic and somewhat shabby. However, I must say it was clean with clean linen.

Room tip: Don't book a room from the internet images. Visit a variety before choosing and definitely ask to be away from the restaurant
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Stephanie S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with us. I would really like to discuss the feedback you have mroe directly; I have tried locating your booking using your TripAdvisor handle but have not had any luck. If you could give me a ring on 01179736882 or email me at lizzie.swyer@cliftonhotels.com so I can look at the room more specifically.

We usually recieve excellent feedback about our rooms so it is a shame to hear that you did not feel the images on our website reflect the rooms in person. I would love for you to get in touch with more detail about this so I can more specifically address it. I have bought up the issue of the smell of stale food which I can only apologise for to make sure this is addressed as urgently as possible. We are having ongoing refurbishments to our rooms and to our communal areas in line with our new 3 star rating which we were awarded in the past 2 weeks. We have a lot of guests who regularly stay with us and we have a lot of very happy guests so it is a shame to see that you had to move 3 rooms during your stay.

I am pleased to hear though that you found our staff pleasant and that the room was clean; our teams work incredibly hard to give excellent service and provide the best product for our guests.

I would really like for you to visit us again to show the experience that our guests usually recieve as seen through our high ratings on TripAdvisor. For the best rates please book directly with us, via email or on our website.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

This was our first time at the Clifton. We have stayed a few times in their sister hotel The Washington which is just a few doors away. The Clifton is in a great location if you need to be near University of Bristol - most parts of the uni are a 10 minute walk away. Check in was very smooth at The Clifton and our room was number 10 - just along the corridor from reception. The room was cold and the radiator didn’t work. Given this was November I would have expected the heating to be on most of the time. There was an electric heater sitting on the floor so we plugged that in and managed to warm the room up. We left the radiator thermostat turned on for the whole of our stay but it never came on once. Interestingly, we had the exact same issue with heating at the Washington hotel on a visit there last year. What is going on? Is it because these hotels are in Georgian buildings that the heating system is so old is doesn’t work? The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was also very clean with towels and good quality toiletries. There was only 2 electric sockets in the room and given one was used for the electric heater we had to juggle mobile phone chargers, iPad, hair dryer and kettle in and out of one socket. We paid £73 for the double room with breakfast and I couldn’t help comparing things to a Travelodge or Premier Inn which both have plenty of sockets and USB charging points in the rooms. Another feature of the older building the hotel is situated in, is that there’s a lot of creaking floorboards above which can interrupt your sleep if other guests arrive back in their room late at night. Also, as we were on the ground floor, we could hear people talking in the Racks bar below. We had a few drinks before bed so we did sleep ok, apart from a 5am disturbance as guests arrived back - but that can happen in any hotel. Breakfast the next morning was excellent with a good buffet selection and then a cooked breakfast made to order. We also had a few drinks in Rscks in the evening and it’s a cool place to relax and drink - you can access Racks bar directly from the hotel. The staff in both the hotel and Racks couldn’t have been nicer. I’ve never seen people so keen to look after you and make sure everything is ok. I’m sorry I can’t provide a specific name but there is a fantastic team of people working in the hotel, cafe and bar. All in all it was a good stay and we would go back, but please sort out the heatIng.

Room tip: Ask staff to ensure the heating works in your room.
Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LizzieSwyer, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Dear mricycold,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear that you had issues during your stay with heating; I can assure you that the heating was on in the building as has been for the last few weeks so I have asked our maintenance team to look at the radiator in room 10. We are also looking at getting USB plug sockets in our rooms; in the meantime we have extension leads available on reception 24 hours a day.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and the service from all of the staff here. They really do go above and beyond to make our guests happy so I am delighted that you felt the same way.

I hope that you will come and visit us again the future. For the best available rates please book directly with us over the phone, via email or on our website.