“Excellent value for money - everytime!”
Review of Arches Hotel

Arches Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Arches Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
Bournemouth
“Excellent value for money - everytime!”
Reviewed 28 March 2009

I regularly travel to Bristol and always stay at the Arches Hotel. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed and I always have a good nights sleep.
There's a welcoming atmosphere and nothing's ever too much trouble.
All in all it's excellent value for money and I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lisboa
Reviewed 7 June 2008

It was really un expected surprise this cozy guest accomodation! I've travelled quite a thing along my life and seen lots of good and bad things; for example, I've already slept in a semi-bed (it's hard to explain) in the middle of Angola, long time ago! And I can assure that was definitely a very bizarre experience! Also, I've already slept in very very good hotels which pleased me very much. Well, we went from Lisbon to attempt the Vegan Faire and this hotel seemed to us the ideal once it is a vegetarian & non-smoking hotel; this is I liked most; other thing I liked most was the teas, coffes and the possibility to have hot water in the bedroom! This is really great! What I disliked? the beds.... the mattress was quite "broken" and there were no sheets... and I found some hairs in my bed which obviously were not mine.... sorry! In the other hand the bathroom was OK, and seemed relatively cleaned everyday.
The owners were very very kind and polited and the breakfast was ok! Perhaps we could have some more fresh fruits?
But in general I was very pleased about everything but the bed+sheets... the neighborhood is very quite with some beautifull houses (I just LOVE English gardens!), sleeping & spoiled cats which respond to my "kutie, kuties" with very langoorous movements and the nearby Gloucester Rd with its magnificent food stores + pubs & restaurants was really really nice.... a must to see in the morning!
Thanks to my travel friends for the time+ bedroom sharing, for the laughing; thanks to a possible gardener which made my stay more fun and beautiful... I still heard his voice in my head "Are you looking for something?" Thank you!

• Liked — teas & hot water in the bedrooms
  • Disliked — bed and the lack of sheets
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Lisboa
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I went to Bristol for the Vegan Fair together with 3 other friends, we booked two rooms a single one, and a triple with bathroom, the single room (nº8) was a bit small but had the public toilet/shower right across the corridor.
The triple room was spacious (nº1) even with an extra bed, the decoration was ok, the toilet and shower were clean. We had fair trade tissues and bags of tea in the room wich was really nice. The worst thing was the lack of sheets in the bed, wich for us from continental Europe was bizarre.
Breakfast was good, could have more fruit and fresh juice, you can have continental breakfast wich includes fresh fruit (avoid the kiwis!), comercial orange and apple juice, dairy and sugar free cereal (the others I think are not vegan), rice and soy milk, soygurt, wholemeal toasts, coffee, tea and a variety of spreads (vegan margarine, marmite, jams,...) Please note that the croissants are not vegan. There was also the cooked breakfast option which none of us have tried, because we are not used to it as people from England are and it did not sound appealing enough.
The owners were extremely polite and helpful (this is what made it a very pleasant stay), this is a small family business, it almost feels like home, the whole hotel feels very cosy. Special thanks to Mrs Marchant and also a local gardener!
Will go there again next year for sure!

• Liked — Fair traid tissues/ tea
  • Disliked — Lack of bed sheets
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank QueerVegansexual
Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2007

There's lots to recommend about this small hotel.

The location in the suburb of Cotham ("Cot-ham", not rhyming with "Gotham") is excellent - it's very close to Gloucester Rd with its pubs and restaurants, as well as close to the city and university.

The owners and staff are all very friendly and knowledgeable.

The vegetarian & vegan breakfasts are delicious.

Obvious efforts have been made in every aspect of the hotel to present and promote environmental responsibility and social justice, from the environmental policy, to the use of fair trade tea & coffee.

The room was comfortable and the shared bathroom spacious and clean.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Object_A
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We stayed in the Arches Bed and Breakfast in Bristol for three nights. Unfortunately, we would not book the Arches B and B again. We arrived on Sunday, September 9 at 3: 40 p.m. at out expected time which we had previously e-mailed them. We got to the B and B and there was no way to get in and nobody was there. There was a note on the door to call a phone number. They knew we were coming from the US. Needless to say we didn’t have a mobile phone to use to call the number. We were trying to figure out where there was a public phone and where to get change to make a phone call when a nice family walked by and let us use their mobile phone. We called and were told what room we had and the key code for the outside door to get in. We followed the instructions and found our room (number 8) which was on the first floor facing a small open space abutted to a garage and an outside pump. The room smelled heavily of mold and was claustrophobicly small. We waited out in the hallway for one hour until the receptionist returned. The receptionist actually was nice and tried to be accommodating. She found us a room upstairs (number 3). It was slightly bigger, newly painted and odor-free. Unfortunately, the mattress was inexpensive and lumpy and the rug needed to be cleaned. There was an electric hot water pot and a tray with tea, coffee, and two packages of cookies. That evening when I went to heat up some water to make tea, I happen to look in the pot before filling it and it had ¼ inch of wet brown slime on the bottom. During our three days at the Arches, except for at breakfast there was nobody around to ask questions. The reception area was always empty. The breakfast of cereal, juice, yogurt, toast, and coffee and tea was good and served in a pretty room. If I stayed in Bristol again, I would actually stay over by the Temple Mead Train Station which is close to the waterfront, the British Commonwealth Museum and the Science Museum. I did notice that there was a new looking Holiday Inn Express right by the train station. We went to Bath from Bristol on two of our three days. Trains to Bath from Bristol took 12 minutes and cost 7 pounds, since we were on the other side of town close to the coach station we took the 339 bus to Bath which cost 5.20 pounds roundtrip but took 48 minutes each way.

• Liked — breakfast room and breakfast
  • Disliked — bedroom and down the hall bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple