“Small children ruined happy hour”

Banning House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Two Harbors B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My husband and I got married at the Banning House Lodge in September 1991. We have stayed at this lovely B&B about half a dozen times and have always enjoyed our stay. We have also booked the entire lodge for the wedding and anniversary parties.

My two teenage boys are on an exchange program this month so my husband and I decided to head back to The Banning House Lodge. We stayed in room #12, which was very nice with a great view of Cat. Harbor. Everything was as expected with happy hour, breakfast, rustic feel, etc.

On our last evening, a large family came up to happy hour with several small children. Apparently, they were staying in the Villa Santa Cruz house just down the road. There were about 8 children under the age of 10. They ran all over the courtyard, banged on the piano in the main living room, moved chairs around, went into the bathroom between rooms 2 & 3 and started screaming, ran up and down the stairs to the Crow's Nest room, etc. It was complete chaos! There were many people and couples, like me and my husband, that really wanted to enjoy the quiet and serenity of the evening. (The evening before, 3-4 deer came right up to the deck to eat the berries off the trees).

I went into the office and made a comment. Another gentleman did the same. Unfortunately, the girls running the wine and cheese happy hour did nothing. When the cheese was put away at 6:00, the family finally left.

I feel that the management at The Banning House Lodge should not have allowed these people with their very loud and rude children, to attend the happy hour at the lodge. It definitely ruined the evening for the rest of us. The couple staying in the Crow's Nest grabbed their drinks and left abruptly. I sincerely hope they address this issue in the future.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martik
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Banning House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Dear Martik,
Thank you for choosing the Banning House Lodge and for being return guests. We certainly value your business. Although we regret your experience at the wine & cheese hour and disturbance that was created by other guests, we can not exclude guests from attending the evening wine & cheese hour. This is an amenity available to all guests of the Banning House Lodge and the Villas. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Everyone at Banning House was amazing, from the complimentary shuttle service to town to the immaculate rooms and best breakfast with a view around. The wine and cheese each night is a great touch as well! I can't think of a better way to experience Catalina Island. We will be back.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Zach,
Thank you for choosing the Banning House Lodge. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

You really can see both harbors from this property. Although we do not visit B&B's often this one is very unique. Serenity and privacy all around, at least in May when we visited.
Hiking,biking,snorkeling,fishing,boating, reading, sleeping, eating, drinking....whatever your thing is, they have it! Loved the evening wine parties and enjoyed a full continental breakfast.

Room Tip: For something really special they do have a nicer room with a private balcony
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Banning House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

Shelly,

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2017.
Our room with a patio overlooked the 2 harbors.
Service was EXCELLENT!
Staff was very friendly & helpful.
Breakfast was very good.
Afternoon fresh fruit & homemade cookies every afternoon!
Wine & Cheese at 5PM each day was very nice.
Complimentary shuttle service to the harbor was provided hourly until 8PM.
They met us at the dock when we arrived.
The public rooms were very inviting, with period furniture.
Our room had been freshly painted.
We had Room 2, which had a queen bed plus 2 twin beds.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Banning House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear LJ,
Thank you for choosing the Banning House Lodge. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

WOW. I consider myself a hotel snob.... I don't need it to be fancy or perfect in any way. What I crave is an experience. Banning House Lodge gave me just that. In fact, the room was not perfect (just some rust in the bathroom.... but heck, its an island!). The experience the lodge provided was perfect though! We had just finished a hike to camp at Little Harbor (tough hike!) so were happy to reach a destination with a bed and a shower. There are no TVs in the bedrooms which forced my husband and I to have even more bonding time. The view from the room was incredible. We headed out to the common area balcony where we enjoyed some wine and watched the sunset. It was neat, you could see both harbors from the balcony. I took a neat pano picture on my phone and you can clearly see why the area is called Two Harbors :) We found the common room and spent the night playing games and doing puzzles. It was such a relaxing, sweet evening. The next morning we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast while overlooking one of the harbors. Banning House is a must!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Alena,
Thank you for choosing the Banning House Lodge. I'm glad to hear that you and your husband were able to relax and reconnect. We look forward to welcoming back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Two Harbors
#15 of 20 in Avalon
Casa Mariquita Hotel
Casa Mariquita Hotel
#16 of 20 in Avalon

Been to Banning House Lodge? Share your experiences!