“Rooms ok for a short stay”

Quality Inn Waddling Dog
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Reviewed 23 March 2017

We had a family get together and this was the most convenient place to stay. The rooms are old and not fancy but clean and the beds were super comfortable. They were in the midst of changing the windows on the rooms so there was more noise than usual but nothing too disturbing. The maid service was spotty .. one lady asked if I wanted to the room cleaned up.. I said yes but not sure if there was a communication breakdown cause it didn't get done.. but wasn't a huge deal to me.

Room Tip: Ask for the side that overlooks the grass area versus the parking lot.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 March 2017

This is an older building which has been tastefully renovated a few times no doubt. Wonderful antiques are throughout the building. Easy to get to and out of, breakfast was included. Staff are wonderful. Low rise building with an elevator. Pets are welcome - well we saw about 4 dogs during your 2 day stay. Only heard one bark early one evening. There was a small mini fridge in the room with a new flat screen mounted TV. We were in a room with one queen bed and there was lots of space in the room.

Room Tip: We were at the back and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2017

We drove through a blizzard to get to this hotel on Friday. We had planned to catch the 8:15 ferry to Saturna Island to see friends. ( a day trip ) We got up at 6:30 Saturday morning, got ready and grabbed a coffee downstairs. We arrived at the ferry with 45 min to spare and were told the ferry had just left. Turns out the clock in the hotel was on the wrong time ( one hour behind ) I had turned my cell of the evening befor as it had a low battery and was intending to charge it on the 2 hour ferry crossing. We went back to the hotel to complain and were not happy with the customer service. The young man said I should have set the clock, I said it would not have mattered it was on the wrong time! He said I should have asked for a wakeup call... why would do that when there is a clock right beside the bed? I had to call twice to speak to the manager as he kept giving me wrong times in which to speak to her. The offered a discount next time we stay there, sorry that is not going to happen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not allow dogs, fleas bad smell.Very out dated mattress.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Dominic P, General Manager at Quality Inn Waddling Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

I am very sorry to hear of the challenges you faced on your trip to Saturna Island. Driving through the Malahat can be stressful especially in snowy conditions. I can't explain why the clock was set to the wrong time or how nobody noticed before you checked in. Again I sincerely apologize for our part in your difficult day trip.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

On Mondays we accompany 3 elderly woman in their '80's to lunch. We usually go to the same location but decided to try something new. We decided tot try the Wadding Dog as it was a short ride out of town and would offer these two a bit of a variety. The waitress was cheerful and the food arrived fairly promptly. The quality was passable but the amounts for two older smaller appetites was excessive. At the end of the meal I went to the ladies restroom with one of the women. The room was completely unheated and although clean, was not pleasant to use. Each of us paid our bill separately, the two older woman, whose bills came to $11 each, paid with $20 bills. As the waitress took the first woman's payment she asked.."Do you want any change?" I know this is often a standard question just to make sure that there will be a tip. But to ask for a $9 tip from an obvious pensioner seemed quite disrespectful to me. When the waitress returned to take the money from the other woman I mentioned that the first woman had not really heard her question regarding the change and that she would, indeed, like her change back. She returned to the till and returned the $9 change without comment. No apology, no acknowledgement. Initially I thought it was an honest mistake on the part of the waitress but realized that she in fact had intended to take advantage of an older person's mistake. I would not return to the Waddling Dog.

Room Tip: We were eating at the restaurant not staying at the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and I must agree that our portions are large and can be too much for a small appetite. I apologize for the misunderstanding regarding the server and the bill payment. It is quite common, and a practice that we will revisit at our next staff meeting, to ask a customer that is paying cash if they require any change. It is meant to save the server time but can inadvertently cause uncomfortable situations. It was most definitely an honest mistake and in no way intended to take advantage of anyone. I am very sorry and I hope that you will one day consider returning to our pub. By the way, we are happy to give 'doggie' bags for those leftovers.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

We had a prepaid 2 night reservation starting on Christmas Eve and arrived around 4pm to find out that there was a problem with the room - since they were full, we were out of luck.
The desk clerk suggested the Super 8 across the street but a quick check of Tripadvisor reviews indicated this wasn't a good choice. We ended up finding a room at a Travelodge in Sidney (significant last minute additional cost of course).
I asked the desk clerk to refund my prepaid Waddling Dog reservation and she assured me she would take care of it within half an hour. No credit had been posted on my credit card when I checked on Tuesday so I called the Dog to confirm that they had submitted the refund. The pleasant lady I talked to wasn't sure but would check with the original desk clerk on duty when we tried to check in on Christmas Eve and ask her to call me back to confirm. Never heard a word, but the credit posted on Thursday.

I'm surprised that we were left to fend for ourselves and incur additional costs because the Waddling Dog could not honour the reservation (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that there really was a problem with the room, not that they had overbooked). I'm even more surprised that I had to chase them to get the refund and that they couldn't be bothered to return my call. We've stayed at the Waddling Dog a few times but won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Dominic P, General Manager at Quality Inn Waddling Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Dear Davvos,

I am very sorry that we could not accommodate you on your most recent visit to our hotel. I do want to assure you that your credit card was refunded immediately after you left, but because of the holidays, no banking transactions appear until the next business day. However, someone should absolutely have contacted you and I again apologize for that oversight.

I hope your stay in Victoria was enjoyable and that you will consider returning to our hotel on your next visit.

Best regards,

10.3 km away
Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake
18.7 km away
Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel

Been to Quality Inn Waddling Dog? Share your experiences!