“Halibut heaven”

Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Cowichan Bay
Price range: USD 5 - USD 23
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family-friendly seafood restaurant in an eclectic seaside village. Ocean Wise (Vancouver Aquarium recommended) & Marine Stewardship Council sustainable fisheries seafood. Local produce & bakery products. Celiac menu. Friendly, down-to-earth service. Great food!
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Wonderful halibut, cold slaw and carrot cake. The my french fries were over cooked and my friends were soggy. The meals cost $75.00 and was worth it

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Their hours say closing is "sometime between 7-8pm" which is lame enough you have to guess when they'll close on any given night, but often they close way before even that, as i've arrived at 6:30pm to see lots of occupied tables inside but the open signs off and the staff already cleaning up. Another time I arrived around 7 and was told (rather rudely and unprofessionally) that we could have a table but the kitchen was closing in 10 minutes so we would need to order fast. In other words, plan to get there for the early bird special if you want to get in at all. The hostess was also swearing at someone in the kitchen while we stood next to her paying our bill. The food is pretty decent for a decent price but not sure its worth having to get there early only to be turned away, or the uninviting staff. Maybe opt for the take-out

Date of visit: December 2017
JHokanson, Owner at Rock Cod Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

It is a real challenge to exist in the restaurant industry during this time of the winter in Cowichan Bay. The costs are astronomical and it isn't about whether or not we will lose money, it's about just how much we will lose; Which brings us to the difficult choices we make around hours. You can be guaranteed that come spring, summer & fall it is lock tight.

AND, I'm very sorry to hear about how you were received and the professionalism of our staff. Please know that I will be reviewing this because there is never an excuse for that kind of behaviour or for any of our customers to be treated in that manner.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

The chowder was very good (though a bit too salty) and the halibut fish n' chip was amazing! Recommended!

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Requested dish from specials list-prawn mango curry. Don't make that mistake, it looked like a pig slop, didn't taste horribly bad but far from what one would expect prawn mango curry to be.
Wife ordered tiger prawns in batter-the crust turned out triple thick with over-abundance of salt.
Friendly service, no complaints there.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Restaurants have ups and downs. Frequent staff turn over is an industry problem and wages are a part of that. This is not unique to this business or this place. I start with this reminder because the other reviews of this place are so positive and our experience was so bad that there has to be an explanation.
Starting with my drink order, a mango margarita. The server came back to say the mix had gone bad, so would I change my order. I did- to the traditional lime. It came, flat and tasteless- likely old mix.
It got worse from there.
The calamari appetizer was soggy and undercooked. And it got even worse: my order of“local prawns” and cod was under done, the coating soggy with oil and the prawns so minuscule and rubbery that I have a hard time believing they were local. They certainly were no where close to fresh. The coleslaw side was also soggy and certainly old. The fries were certainly previously frozen.

Other meals in our party were just as bad. There were four of us. Everything greasy- a sign that the oil wasn’t hot enough.

So my advice is use caution when deciding to go here.
We had meals in other restaurants while visiting the area and most were quite good. This was a real disappointment.

Date of visit: November 2017