When I reflect back on my stay, and look at the week as a whole experience, I would recommend Gwinganna, and will return. That said, there were days and moments when I was uncomfortable or unhappy, and I guess this is part of the journey. This makes this review hard to write, as staying at Gwinganna is not just about the rooms and the food, it's an emotional experience too.
Let's start with the quantative ...
We stayed in the Orchard Suites (Lychee) rooms were clean, adequately equipped, but bathroom had a perpetual bad smell, and room had no view and hence was very dark. Location was convenient though and surrounded by wildlife, which was nice.
Facilities are excellent, enjoyed the gym, the pool, the dinning room, and the food was excellent and plentiful. Checkin and checkout were fine, minor errors on bill, but quickly corrected. Lectures were good, but held after an early start and busy morning of excecise, so I often found myself struggling to stay awake.
Now to the qualitative ...
Staff generally were very good. Donna, Alie and Duncan stand out, but others too whose names I have forgotten. Loved the morning hikes, and especially the bush walks with John, he is a character, a fountain of knowledge and a privilege to spend time in his environment. I found the mid morning classes a bit hit and miss, yang was often too hard and yin (mostly yoga and dance) just not me.
Afternoons, Dreamtime, were relaxing, but like most I signed up for too many spa treatments and regretted not having taking the opportunity for more "me" time. Treatments were okay, not great, and a little expensive. One shinning star was the manicure, which was very relaxing and lasted for almost ten days after!
As an introvert, I did find the "group" dinning and activity a bit much at times. Everyone was friendly and very open, but I needed more time hiding in my cave. I found the constant social interaction quite stressful.
One final point, we did the detox week and while we were advised to expect some reaction, at no time was being violently sick cited as a possible symptom. I woke at midnight on third night to the worst vomiting I have ever experienced, and it lasted for hours. The next day the onsite nurse was available and wonderful, and by mid day I was fighting fit again, but that night was not good. I heard from others that I was not the only person who experienced this.
So, a mixed bag of comments, but I would finish by saying it was worth doing, I felt better, lost weight (despite eating well), reconnected with myself, and enjoyed the experience. Some things I will do differently next time, and I will know what to expect, but I do look forward to returning.
My sincere thanks to the staff, for a wonderful experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a world of busy, Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat stands apart as the destination to help you rest and revive and inspires you to live a healthier life. Whether you stay for a spa weekend over two nights or the popular detox program over seven days, you will connect with supportive professionals who will teach you resilience in the modern world.Australia's award winning lifestyle retreat is surrounded by ocean and valley views in the Gold Coast hinterland, with exceptional facilities including the stunning Spa Sanctuary, one of the largest spas in the Southern Hemisphere. Enjoy delicious organic cuisine, an extensive range of activities and stylish accommodation including luxury villas. Gwinganna.....for the rest of your life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat Hotel Tallebudgera
- Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat Australia/Gold Coast - Tallebudgera