“With WOW Factor”

Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tallebudgera
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Gwinganna has it all. Six days of rising early and deciding which choice to take up - fabulous bushwalks, maybe yoga, maybe a morning with the most fabulous ecologists and miracle gardeners who show you how to improve your lives with a few herbs. A fabulous breakfast (didn't miss the coffee and I LOVE my coffee normally), another choice should i box and then deep water run or maybe stretch to a pilates class. Then a seminar and sounds strange but seriously they were a daily highlight, an amazing lunch followed by dreamtime - where you have treatments or laze by the pool or snooze under a tree - your freetime for whatever. Dinner - again fantastic food, bed, then repeat the next day but with different activities on offer - BLISS.
This is a health retreat that treats the whole person - not just the waistline or the inner exercise junky. There is a lot of highly qualified, passionate and entertaining staff. Its one of the things that set this place apart. The staff are so knowledgable - best in class I think. I am only home four days, so its early days, but I have come away with a whole lot of motivation and information to incorporate into my daily life to live a healthier life and have more energy. I didn't rate every treatment I had, frankly a couple were ordinary, but the Spirit of Sound was brilliant - can't rate it highly enough, the zero balance made me feel like a new woman, and the aquine therapy is unique and just fabulous. A really special week and looking forward to going back maybe in a year or so!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

Since this was my third stay in three years I've overcome the shock of the "school camp" nature of this luxury eco retreat. What I love about this place is that it reminds you of all the good behaviours you've eroded since your last stay and all the unhealthy behaviours you've adopted and convinced yourself don't really impact your health when they really do. It's a great reset. Bathing in rain water and eating freshly picked organic food with loads of herbs has such a dramatic effect on my health.

The downside:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the facials are ok but not outstanding. They're always a bit disjointed ie lack that rhythm that experienced facialists have, so I never fall asleep.
I did the Journey and when the guided vision part wasn't working for me, as in nothing was come ng to my mind when the therapist kept asking me who was in my stomach, the therapist switched to giving me a mini 101 on somatic therapy. So basically half an hour of talking at me.
On NYE there was a ceremony where we walked around the labyrinth ( don't get excited, it's just rocks on the ground ) and put something that we'd picked up along the way that represented what we wanted to leave behind in an urn. Then we wrote it down on paper and burned it in a fire and sent what we want for the new year to our home address. It was well thought out but not for me.
Lastly they organised an amazing sound performance but we were lying down the whole time which was really uncomfortable for me and I put my back out.
Most importantly - the food! This has always been a highlight for me but I really noticed a change this time. There were a couple of highlights like all the breakfasts and the fish but generally speaking it had lost its gourmet edge. One night we ate the kind of hippy stuff that would scare a lot of people from going to a retreat - lentils and grated beetroot or something. Other dishes were boring or lacked oomph. The mushrooms and snow peas coated in brown stuff that had no taste were awful.

Stayed: January 2017
4  Thank Claire C
Gwinganna, Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Dear Claire C

Thank you for your review and for returning to us again. So many guests say that each time they return its more valuable than the last. We are sorry to hear there were elements that you did not enjoy though and will be reviewing these with the relevant teams.We usually receive wonderful feedback from the facials so we will be addressing this.

We actually have the same head chef as on your last visit, however we note that you had not joined us for the Detox program previously. A weekend stay does have a different menu as detox is not possible in such a short time. The Detox menu is vegetarian for the first few days to help enhance this program's outcomes. Next visit, you may wish to choose a program that you have done before, where we serve seafood, red meat and chicken.

The New Years Eve ritual received excellent feedback from other guests. We are sorry to hear that our sound performance was uncomfortable for you, even with bolsters and blankets to help ensure everyone's comfort.

The Labyrinth is one of the only ones in Australia and was created by our team when the retreat opened. The ritual then was to write a positive intention for guests and place these under the many stones.
Thank you again, we wish you wellness until next time.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

I did the 5 day retreat and got way more out of this experience than I ever imagined or anticipated having! A life changing experience that I would recommend to anybody. Whether it is fitness, health or mental.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Sam E
Reviewed 19 October 2016

I have just returned from the 7 day Detox. My recommendation would be to stay in the Heritage Cottage as the location is close enough for the activities and meals, but far enough away not to hear any noise. The food was bountiful, healthy and delicious. The weather was overcast for most of the time we were there but it didn't stop us doing some fabulous activities including bush walks, yoga, boxing, meditation, pilates and a whole lot of other activities to suit all people. My only negative was the price of the spa treatments. The treatments I had were good but nothing special. Having said that, I would recommend a break at Gwinganna to unwind, slow down and nourish yourself.

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank Irnbru
Reviewed 14 October 2016

I did the 7 day detox last month. It was my second visit having first visited 16 months prior. I cannot recommend Gwinganna more highly. Once again I was able to rejuvenate and renourish my body and soul. The food is fantastic and plentiful, the accomodation more than adequate, and the staff are amazing. Everyone will connect with different people but for me, Donna and Ally are very special individuals.
It is so far removed from my corporate world and provides an environment and an opportunity to remember what's really important in life.

Gwinganna is my happy place and I'll be back next year !

PS: If I could offer one bit of advise - don't charge for the takeaway lunch. It's provides an unnecessary negative talking point in our final hours.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark H
Gwinganna, Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2016

Dear Mark H

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your Gwinganna stay. We are so pleased your second visit was a positive experience and the staff will be thrilled to read your review. Our aim is to create a dedicated wellness environment on the beautiful property we have to help people switch off and slow down and come back to base, focusing on their health and wellness.

For lunch on the final day, we provide this complimentary as with all meals at the retreat unless guests wish to order an extra lunch pack for the flight home.
Thanks for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tallebudgera
23.9 km away
23 km away
Meriton Suites Southport
23.9 km away
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat? Share your experiences!