“Avoid at all costs. Terrible.”

Sooke Coastal Explorations
More attraction details
Owner description: Are you ready to embark on a one-of-a-kind exploration with Vancouver Island’s premium quality Whale Watching and Eco-Adventure company?Sooke Coastal Explorations can take you on an exhilarating West Coast marine adventure that will thrill your senses and leave you with a deep appreciation for the enchanting creatures that inhabit our local waters. Offering the perfect balance of excitement, safety and education, our experienced, knowledgeable crew will take you on an open water excursion lasting 3 to 4 hours in length, and travelling along the Island’s western shores.
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

I booked this Whale Watching tour in advance of my trip to Vancouver Island, it had been booked as a highlight, and staying in the remote town of Port Renfrew i found Sooke offered the closest trips... albeit via a 3 hour round trip. Paul, I presume the chap running it, emailed to confirm my booking and to tell me to arrive half an hour prior to my 10am trip. This meant a pretty early start for me on top of jet lag, but I felt it was worth it. On arrival at 1581 at 930am the place was closed up. I parked and waited at the door, after a few minutes a chap came over to ask if he could help me. Explained I was here for the tour, to which he told me his brother had told him no-one was booked that day and so wasn't coming, I showed him the email confirmation of my booking and was told I they wouldn't do a tour for one which was probably why he thought no one was coming. No communication about this whatsoever from Paul. I explained to his brother, who was apologetic, that I'd traveled for an hour and a half to come to it and was told I was best off to try Victoria (another 1.5 hour drive). In the end I had to return to where I was staying having wasted an entire morning and resulting in no trip. Not even an email to apologise for the mess up from Paul. Paul's communication was abrupt and not very welcoming from the outset. To then not bother to tell me he wasn't going to turn up on the day when he had confirmed I had a trip booked, and again not contact me to apologise is pretty damn poor. Not impressed.

5  Thank Amy S
"video"
"sept"
"seal"

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

We went on our first ever whale watching expedition with them this week. We had an amazing time! Well worth every penny. Within 10 minutes of setting out in the zodiac we were seeing orcas. At no time did we feel unsafe, and Paul was very informative. We also saw porpoises, and went out to Race Rock and saw a LOT of sea lions. Great trip. Highly recommend. Unfortunately we did not get to see a humpback, but that is the luck of the draw. We spent well over an hour around all kinds of killer whales and I got some amazing pictures of them.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

You don't need to bother driving to Victoria to see whales, right here in Sooke is the place to be.
Within 10 minutes we saw a pair of hump backed whales and stayed with them for 20 minutes, getting some amazing photos. We then got a call about a pod of Orcas so hung on for the 30 minute ride to find them. Finally we arrived to the point where they were last seen, and we're not disappointed to see a large pod of transient orcas cruising along. We stayed with them for around an hour, ageing managing to get some great shots. Although we were sad to leave, we had another highlight coming - a viewing of a sea otter, very rare in this area, lying on his back soaking up the sun off Race Rocks lighthouse.
Al in all, we had an amazing day, saw some beautiful sights and were really pleased with our experience.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

My girlfriend and I set up our first whale watching tours with Sooke Coastal Explorations and it was an amazing time. Both captains were very knowledgeable and did a great job getting us on whales. Having smaller boats than some of the other companies allowed us to move around quicker and ultimately see more whales. We went 4 days in a row and it was like a new, different tour each day. I can't recommend them enough. We hope to make this an annual trip, and if we do, we will only be going with Sooke Coastal Explorations!