Canalta Brooks
USD 85*
Plains Motel(Brooks)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree popcornfront deskspent nightsdinosaur provincial parkthe hotel is cleanfridge and coffee makeraccommodating staffhot tub was nicestar hotelstay there againparking lotpool area isa great stayyogurtconvenient locationhockey tournamentroom was large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2017

When we were there, the hotel was still fairly new (at least it still looked quite new).

The lady at the front reception that checked us in was very very nice! Our room was super nice and spacious. Was surprised to find a mini-fridge in the room, which was a nice touch (we even used it). Overall - very nice! The included breakfast was even pretty nice! The pool, hot tub and water slide were very nice. My son and I had a lot of fun playing around in there.

On the downside ...
- the room with the pool doesn't have any sound deadening in it, so it gets very loud when there's a lot of kids
- I'm not sure the eggs on the included breakfast were actually eggs ... they might have been powdered eggs. They were cooked (warmed up) in a microwave and didn't look very appetizing (on the upside - the fresh waffles and yogurt were great)
- the biggest downside was the temperature control in the room. The air conditioning would kick in and it would be loud and make the room too chilly. Then it would cut out and the room would get too hot before cutting in again. A little quieter and finder control of the temperature would have made it easier to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Br00ksSuper8_, General Manager at Canalta Brooks, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Canalta Hotel. I am pleased to see for the most part your stay was positive. I will note your comments, and have the maintenance man check into the AC issues. Again thank you for bringing this to our attention. Thank you again for your review, and we hope we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in the Canalta Brooks hotel which is located in Brooks Alberta, approximately 1 hour drive from Medicine Hat. We stayed in a "Standard King Room" which we found to be clean, well maintained and air conditioned. The room included a small kitchenette consisting of a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink and counter which was very convenient and useful (all hotels today should provide these amenities). The hotel also features a small pool, hot tub and a water-slide which was getting lots of use by the children of hotel guests. I should say that the outdoor temperature at the time of our stay was around 35 Celsius. There is also a small guest breakfast room which is open from 6 am to 10 am next to the lobby. I should stress that it is not a restaurant but provides a good assortment of cereals, bagels, also microwaved hash browns and sausage and a few other breakfast items. There are a few restaurants within walking distance from the hotel if you like something more substantial.
I would have given this hotel another star but there is an issue with noise. Our first night in the hotel it sounded like there was a stampede going on in the room above us. It wasn't a stampede but a just a few children running in the room which should have been barely noticeable. The walls, ceiling and doors are paper thin. You can actually hear other people's conversations in adjacent rooms and outside in the hallway, and that was with our room TV on. If you're looking for a quiet place to stay, then this may not be a good choice but otherwise it is a clean and well maintained place to hang your hat for a night or two.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the top floor away from the elevators and stairways.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hello Chris

Thank you for taking the time to review the Canalta Brooks Hotel, I am pleased to see your stay for the most part was positive. I am sorry to hear you had some concerns with your stay. I will make sure these are passed on to the Maintenance department to be corrected. If at anytime you wish to further discuss this matter please feel free to contact me at anytime. Again thank you for your review, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Equivalent to a good 3-star hotel, all renovated, large rooms, very clean and comfortable, with a few extras: full kitchenette, nice pool with big water slide and hot tub, free pop corn. Success guaranteed with children!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Br00ksSuper8_, General Manager at Canalta Brooks, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Hello Nathallie

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Canalta Hotel in Brooks, Alberta. I am pleased to see your stay was positive, and I thank you for your great comments. again thank you for your great review and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

very nice and comfortable, comfortable beds, nice air conditioning. lower floor room has direct access to parking lot for easy access to your car. very pleasant and helpful staff, nice pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Br00ksSuper8_, General Manager at Canalta Brooks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Canalta Hotel in Brooks, Alberta. I am pleased to see your stay was positive. These reviews are very important to us, and we thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Thank you, and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

45 minutes from the park.
Plan 0ne hour - one hour and half to drive there to allow you to visit around if you booked a tour.
This hotel is very convenient, we were 3 adults, each of us had its own bed in the same room, very confortable beds - newly renovated hotel - Good breakfast, good choice of cereals, muffins, toast, pancakes, eggs for breakfast in a large comfy room
excellent friendly staff, walking distance from family type restaurants (boston pizza, mcdonals, tim, etc.)
They also have a bright clean pool.
Price is very reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Br00ksSuper8_, General Manager at Canalta Brooks, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear Michel