All reviewsresidential schoolmain buildingmission buildingpro shopbeautiful resortin great shapeoutdoor poolking bedcranbrook arealoungetubsclubhouseholesmokehousegamblingroundswedding
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed 3 nights at this phenomenal location. Went to visit family and resort was in a great location. Close to town but just far enough away to feel like an escape. Nice little casino, excellent food on site. Room was a bit dated but clean. Pictures don’t do the resort justice, surrounded by gorgeous mountains and streams.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Sandra V, General Manager at St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your amazing review. So happy you had a relaxing time, and a beautiful escape.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I was fetched at the airport from a late flight by a very helpful young man who carried my luggage up the stairs and helped by walking me part way to my room. The hotel is a bit of a labyrinth, and I found myself a bit lost and turned around the next morning on my way out. So some better signs, arrows, directions might be helpful. The room was very very good value, extremely quiet, awesome shower, everything you need and I enjoyed a good sleep. All and all highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo

Dear Golden108181785,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on our staff and resort. Combining a Historic building with a new building resulted in an interesting combination. We always are looking at improving our guest experience, thank you for letting us know about the signage. Looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 5 February 2018

This is a great place to stay. The rooms are nice, casino is smoke free, and there are places to eat on site. In addition, the hot tub/pool area was very clean. It would be great if they had coffee in the lobbies during the morning hours.

Room Tip: Get the players card in the casino and save 10% throughout the facility.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Viewgazer,

Thank you so much for your kind review and suggestions. I am very glad you enjoyed being with us. See you again soon :-)

Reviewed 29 January 2018

My husband stayed at this hotel one night in January 2018 as his flight got cancelled and he arrived in Cranbrook later than expected. We reserved this hotel at the last minute. The price was cheap (55$ US). It was clean. The pool and spa are very nice. The restaurant is a little expensive though. My husband had a little trouble to find the lobby as he arrived late and it is in construction. He had to go around with the car, but found it. This hotel is a former residential school which has been converted in very nice resort facilities by the indigenous band. The band has left important traces of the suffering that the indigenous people suffered there for future generations to remember.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo

Dear Carole,

Thank you for your review! I am glad you found us, and had a memorable time with us. I hope to welcome you back in the future for a longer visit.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

We booked a weekend at the St. Eugene Resort as a getaway. It took us about 5 hours to drive from Calgary as the roads were bad in spots. The hotel is beautiful and very nice to drive up to, even in the winter. Check in was efficient and our room was very spacious and clean. The bed was very very very comfortable! I am 7 months pregnant and it was the best sleep I have had in a while. The room has bathrobes, a safe and a small fridge which is nice. We were very happy with the accommodations. We booked the bed and breakfast package which I think was a good deal.

There are two dining options on site: the Smokehouse restaurant and the casino deli. The food at the Smokehouse was amazing and I would definitely recommend the Sunday Brunch. It is an excellent value at $20. We also enjoyed the casino, it was small but had a good variety of things. There is also a HUGE sports screen in there which was nice.

There were a few downsides to the weekend which has led to this three star review:
We had planned the weekend around a 'Long Table Dinner' that was scheduled and advertised on the website. The hotel hosts these a few times were per year and it is meant to feature food and wine pairings from a local winery. I called a few days before to book a seat and was told it was cancelled but wasn't given a reason why. When we showed up to check in I realized the dinner was most likely cancelled because the entire upstairs lounge was being renovated. That meant the food and drink service in the Smokehouse Restaurant was interrupted so there was no draft beer or ice tea (for some reason). It would have been nice to be informed of this on the phone.

Also, when we checked in we were informed that the hotel was very busy as there was hockey tournaments in town. That means there were (by our count) at least 4 hockey teams of 9 and 10 year old boys running around the hotel. Literally running. The pool was totally off limits at all times of day and night because the kids were jumping in the snow, in the pools, in the hot tubs on a cycle for two days. Of course kids want to do that. I just wish the hotel had kept a handle on it. Additionally, the hotel seemed surprised by how busy it was (I assume these hockey teams book in advance?) and there were not enough servers in the restaurant at any given time. We had two amazing servers (Spruce and Myra) who were busting their butts but they really needed more support for all the tables and meeting rooms filled with hockey kids and their families. Our room was not made up during our stay and I would guess it is because it was so busy. I would encourage the hotel to staff properly for this type of weekend to ensure that the standards are maintained.

Finally, I was sad to note the historical center is not open over the weekend and we missed out on the tour and on learning more about the history of St. Eugene which I was really looking forward to. I know this isn't in the control of the hotel but it's just a side note.

In conclusion: I would return but I would ask about hockey tournaments in advance. I think it really but a strain on the quality of the hotel. If you are trying to plan for a quiet or relaxing weekend I would suggest you do the same.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine F
Sandra V, General Manager at St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Dear Catherine,

On behalf of our entire team at St. Eugene Resort, I'd like to thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very happy you had an amazing sleep, loved your room, and the food at the restaurant. I am sorry you experienced a break down in communication regarding our lounge renovations. I have addressed all your concerns with the departments with whom you encountered less than our usual exemplary service levels. We have implemented changes to address these service issues right away. Please be assured that I take your concerns very seriously, as do our Managers. We hope to welcome you back to be able to provide you with a superior experience!

Warm regards,