“Comfort and excellent hosts”
Review of Cloudside Hotel

Cloudside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Comfort and excellent hosts”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed one night only, and would love to go back again. Friendly welcome with well organized tour of the property. Lovely big room with a private bathroom next door (I think many of the rooms are en suite, but we didn't mind the minor inconvenience). Lounge area, patio and verandah for guests. Very clean and nicely decorated. Excellent breakfast - lots of choice. Very good location in downtown Nelson - close to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Tucson AZ
Reviewed 26 August 2012

It's rare to find a place reviewed so uniformly positively but having stayed as the Cloudside Inn, I can tell you that they deserve every bit of it. And I know whereof I speak, since I was there for two full weeks (July 25 to August 8, 2012).

I stayed in the Fir Room, which is small but very comfortable, with a great bed and a lovely en-suite bathroom. The WiFi worked flawlessly, both in the room and in all the public spaces, including the lovely outdoor deck. Chris is a great cook and though he despaired of giving me a different breakfast for every one of my fourteen mornings, the food was so good that I found myself awaiting the inevitable repeats eagerly.

Both he and Sally were wonderfully accommodating, as were their charming helpers Lisa and Julie. These are genuinely nice people who sincerely want to do whatever they can to make sure you're enjoying your stay. The only problem was that at the end of my fourteen days, I could barely face leaving. I felt like I was leaving home, rather than returning there.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great but only the Fir Room and the big suites (Willow and Tamarack) have en-su...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We've stayed 3 times at the Cloudside Inn - all 3 times we arrived on motorbike. Chris was very accommodating and understood how quickly one likes to get out of their gear when arriving hot and tired. He even helped us carry our gear in. He also understood that parking was important with an exposed bike, and offered to move his vehicle so we could park close to the building and on pavement. We got the last room available - the suite on the top floor and let's just say, I'd like to move in. Very charming and suited to the ambiance of Nelson. The location is ideal for bikers who, once they park the bike and get out of their gear, want to be able to walk around. Everything was within a 2-5 min. walk. Breakfast was delicious. There's always the "first course" available consisting of yogurt, fruit, homemade granola and muesli and a variety of cold cereals. For the "main" course we had a bacon, spinach quiche, pan fried potatoes and toast all of which was absolutely yummy. Then we were sent on our way with a huge breakfast cookie which after the size of the breakfast we didn't need to eat until way in the afternoon and kept us satiated until we got to our destination. On another note, it was surprising to find out from a fellow traveller that if you make the booking on line using one of the many internet bookings, there is a substantial cost to the B&B hosts. There is a min. 15% and up to 25% charge if you use one of links online. I will be phoning them directly myself from now on.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We spent 2 nights in Nelson in July and could not have been happier with our stay at the cloudside inn. The house was attractive and nicely rennovated and easy to find. There was ample parking. The location is ideal: just one block off of the main street--a stone's throw from any number of great restaurants and cafes.
Our room was a nice size. Our bathroom was down the hall, but it was exclusively ours. Everything was vey clean.
I will say - and this is not a problem as far as i am concerned - that this is not a b&b crowded with antiques and floral wallpaper. It is not a fussy, old fashioned b&b. It is just well appointed and simple in its decor.
Breakfasts were great and flexible according to our whims and dietary needs. The homemade granola was amazing.
The owners were very hospitable and charming.
I enjoyed spending the evenings on one of the b&b's several patios. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012
Wellington
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We looked around a few places on arrival in Nelson and this is the one that sold itself: we ended up paying slightly over our strict budget because we considered it worth it! We were in the pine room: lovely cooling decor and very comfy beds. the service was wonderful, we felt welcomed and looked after without being smothered. The little touches in the bathrooms were great, everything was immaculate and the rear deck was excellent for an evening beverage! Breakfast the next morning was great and we went on our way with lovely memories of Nelson, which I'm sure wouldn't have happened in a stuffy hostel dorm room!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends