“It's no longer as good as it used to be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Salmon Arm
Calgary, Canada
“It's no longer as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We reserved a family suite online for the book 4 days in advance price. On arrival, we decided to switch to 2 rooms so we would have 2 bathrooms for our family of 5. We weren't given the same discount rate but the desk clerk, an elderly lady, said for 2 rooms we would get the senior rate anyway. We're also AMA members but we weren't told how big the discount was. That was our last night of vacation and a pit stop between Vancouver and home so I just let it go. We started using this hotel as a layover when it was fairly new and busy so we know this hotel quite well and have always been happy with it. This time there was a sense of desertion, too quiet.

When we got to the rooms, the fridges were turned off between guests to save energy. The bar soaps were so old, the ends were curled. They eventually flattened out after a few uses. We did have adjoining rooms but we faced the back parking lot and some walking path which faces right into one room on the 3rd floor.

The pool opens til 11pm but they kept the lights off so my kids swam in the dark. It's swim at your own risk. They do have lifeguard at the waterpark til 9pm.

As Priority members, we received one goody bag for the suite we reserved and when we switched to 2 rooms, basically doubled the price, we weren't offered a second goody bag. It had a couple of local and travel magazines, a juice box and a snack size bag of Dorito which my youngest appreciated but chocolate will always be enjoyed by all.

I've always enjoyed Holiday Inn Express complimentary breakfast and this one was no exception. The pancake machine was fun, not great pancakes but it was fun to watch in action.

What could've made this stay more special and less mundane? If the front desk had taken the initiative to offer me the same pre booking rate for the 2 rooms I switched to from a family suite then it would've been impressive. Or, "since you have 2 rooms now, let me quickly put together another Priority member gift bag for you: That would've been impressive but no, nothing special was done so I wasn't impressed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

First of all, the rooms were too expensive. I supposedly booked an 'advance purchase' room on the Holiday Inn express website, but never got charged in advance. I called the hotel and the main reservation line, no one knew what I was talking about! They kept telling me I booked it through travelocity, but I've never even been to that website to book a room. Anyways, when I arrived, they had already pre-authed my card for $100 OVER what the room was going to cost. They payed no mind to the fact that I was supposed to have pre-paid. So, I went with it, since it wasn't charged and needed a pre-auth for incidentals anyways. The lady at the front (an older lady) was completely annoyed with anyone who interrupted her script.... rolling her eyes at people on the phone and waving off any questions I had. . When we got to the room, we found the room outdated, not really clean, with a horrible view of an empty lot and construction and the room was stifling hot. The air either blew really cold or the room was hot. We chose to try out the pool, which burned all of our eyes until they were rinsed. The breakfast had a good selection and the breakfast room had lots of room. We also used the laundry which worked really well. Overall, not impressed. I won't stay there again, I'd find something else in the area. Any questions about the review, please ask.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Stayed 2 nights at Holiday Inn Express - Salmon Arm. Even though we stayed two nights in a pet freindly room, my friend didn't have one bite one them and myself had received over 8 bites ... all over! Not mosiqutoe bites either. Please check beds before you hop in other than that, it would have been excellent stay. Staff were great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brenda N
hiexsa, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Salmon Arm.

We have thoroughly gone over the room in question and have not found any kind of bugs. Signs of bed bugs are not typically difficult to find and being in the business that we're in, we have to know a lot about bed bugs as it's one of the more difficult issues to deal with if you do have them.

I will personally call you in the morning to discuss this issue in full.

I am glad that the rest of your stay was to your satisfaction.

Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night in July. It was a great experience. Very modern, clean, spacious rooms and a lovely breakfast with ample seating in the dining room. When we asked for a room with a view, Mary from the front desk went out of her way to run up and see if Room 413 was ready. We were given that room and it turned out to be a lovely corner room with lots of windows. Although the hotel is not downtown, it is surrounded by restaurants and convenience stores within walking distance. As per the hotel's recommendation, we went to Yan's Chinese restaurant which was excellent. There is a walking tunnel that takes you under the highway to get there in minutes. Also, you can collect aeroplan miles at this hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very glad that you had such a wonderful stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Salmon Arm.

I will pass along your kind words to Mary and I'm sure it will make her day as she made yours.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Second stay here - new and clean and helpful staff. Breakfast is better than usual in BC rural areas, had beautiful view from top floor (other of hotel has construction project - ask for view side).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad that you had yet another great stay with us!

We constantly get comments about how new the hotel looks considering it was built in 2001. We've just been lucky to have great staff who care for the hotel and I think it shows very well.

We also can't wait for the construction projects on the back side of the hotel to be completed. But the construction is a necessary evil, particularly the Dairy Queen as we all like a good blizzard.

We look forward to your third visit and hopefully the construction will be finished by then.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salmon Arm
4.2 km away
Travelodge Salmon Arm BC
Travelodge Salmon Arm BC
#6 of 8 in Salmon Arm

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!