“Used to always recommend this Motel but never will again!!”
Review of Aurora Inn

Aurora Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The very first time I took my son on a hockey tournament, our team chose this hotel and for years, I have always recommended this place.

I found myself needing to stay there again 6 years later for yet another hockey trip and I guarantee it will be the last time. Although the establishment is ok, the service I experienced in the past few weeks has been autrocious.

First off, I readily admit that I goofed! On Wed, I called this hotel to see if they had rooms for Friday and was told that yes they did but it was filling up fast. I wanted to book online because the rate was cheaper. I live 1 hour away from this location and staying was a convenience for early morning hockey more than a necessity. However, in my haste to get the best internet rate, I erroneously booked for Thurs night rather than Friday night. I was also booking for another family and paying for both of us on my credit card. When the other family arrived with the 2 hockey players, on Friday, it was then that my big goof up was discovered. I was still in the city at work . The Dad figured that he would book for Friday night and the mix up would be taken care of when I got there.

Well, the service he received from Kevin was not so great and when I got there, I found Kevin to be demeaning and unapologetic. I didn't expect him to apologize for my mistake but he could have shown a teeny bit of empathy. It is clear that this establishment is more concerned about the almight dollar than in any kind of Customer Service.

I knew that the money for Thursday night (for the 2 rooms) was long gone. I did suggest that considering the fact that I booked on Wed, and when I didn't show up on Thursday, perhaps a call could have been made (I mean, why ask for someones phone # if you're never going to use it). This was quickly dismissed by the staff.

On Saturday morning when I checked out (checked in at 9pm, checked out at 7:30am), I provided another credit card so that the family I was travelling with would not be charged for my mistake. I was very clear that this family was not to pay for my mistake.

I was also hoping that the hotel would offer a good will gesture and perhaps Comp the rooms for Friday night. They already had my money for Thursday night although I was tucked in nice and cozy at home, not aware of the mistake I'd made. If Comp-ing the rooms wasn't viable, I was hoping for a charge for only 1 room? Perhaps 1/2 price rooms? Alas, I was told I would have to discuss with the Manager and he was out of town (in Halifax) until Tuesday.

I didn't get a chance to contact him immediately on Tues as my work took precedence and I was on the road. On Friday, I was advised by my travelling companions that their credit card had been charged for the rooms for Friday night, despite my insistance that this not happen. I immediately called the hotel and of course, staff remembered me due to the pushing I had done for a goodwill gesture the week end before. The staff quickly took action to correct their error. Oh, looks like everyone makes mistake!! Imagine - we are all human.

At this point, I left a feedback card on the Best Western website. The following week, the Manager responded and apologized for the mistake made on charging the wrong credit card and gave me a long story about why I had to pay for Thursday night even though I didn't stay there. I responded to him asking for consideration for Friday night's rate. Perhaps comping the rooms or discounting them. He did not reply. !!! I sent another email to the feedback website at which point he responded apologizing for his staff's error but indicating that he didn't see the need to 'continue the dialogue' due to my dissatisfaction at the outcome. And that was the end of our correspondence.

A long tale I know, but a disappointing one for me. I know that hotels have discretionary rates they can use, and they COMP rooms all the time. This would not have been difficult for an "independently owned" branch of the Best Western. Best Western should be embarrassed to be associated with an operator who cares so little about customer satisfaction. If I had only been paying for my room, and had made the mistake, then I would not have pushed so hard. But I was paying for the other family's room as well. This hotel ended up receiving almost $500 from me and I spent less than 12 hours on the premises and could have easily driven back to my own home. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL OR STAY HERE AGAIN. Nor will I recommend the Best Western .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Kim649
There are newer reviews for Aurora Inn

Reviewed 17 August 2011

This hotel does not have any frills but the rooms are clean and comfortable. They have a good continental breakfast which is included. Tim Hortons is also directly across the street which is nice. I would recommend and definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nikki C
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This hotel was clean with comfortable beds. We were given vouchers for a free appetizer or desert for their dining room which was a very nice touch. Maritime hospitality is the best! Room got quite warm - we turned up the A/C but it took a bit to cool things off. Yes, we would stay again!

Room Tip: Pre book through Internet 7 days or more will get you the best rate.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Annietje
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My wife and I were recently posted to Greenwood, Nova Scotia, as we are both military members. During the move from Ontario, we ended up in Novas Scotia for a couple of days before we could take possession of our new house, so we decided to get a hotel reasonably close to the base. Once in town, we realized that there are very few options, and the only hotel in Kingston/Greenwood was the Aurora Inn. That being said, we checked in for a three night stay.

The staff of the Aurora Inn at the front desk and in the dining room are very helpful, and go out of their way to ensure your stay is an enjoyable one. I had trouble getting my computer to connect to the internet and they actually had a repair technician come in and trouble shoot the connection issues.

The rooms are very simple, motel style, with window mount A/C and free internet access. We had a room with one queen bed, and it was reasonably comfortable. The bathroom is very small, but serves it's purpose. Overall the Inn is clean, simple and affordable.

Another bonus is that this hotel is pet friendly. As we had our dog with us for the move, we needed a place that would allow us to keep Chester in our room with us. While there is a $15.00 pet charge, it was not a problem.

If there is anything that truly stands out about this location, it is the dining room. The food is amazing! Aside from a very well prepared continental breakfast, the lunch and dinner menu have a wide variety of options to include; fresh seafood chowder, a huge portion of fish and chips, great pastas (try the pumpkin ravioli), and some great desert options. Also, Sunday brings an amazing brunch buffet!

All in all, this spot is worth checking into if you are being posted, or are looking for an affordable place to stay in the Annapolis Valley.

Room Tip: Make time for the wonderful Sunday brunch buffet, but reserve a table, as the church crowd tend to p...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The room was pretty basic, but no issues with cleanliness. The AC unit was a bit loud yet adequate given the moderately hot conditions. There is no pool nor exercise room, and WiFi barely made it to our room. The continental breakfast offered a good mix of bagels, breads, muffins, jams, juices, etc, which was fine by us. Overall, the Aurora Inn is an average place to stay, with no significant alternative in the area. We'll use it again, however families with kids may wish to drive a bit more...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
37.8 km away
17.5 km away
PillowCase B&B
PillowCase B&B
#1 of 2 in Berwick

Been to Aurora Inn? Share your experiences!