All reviews room was clean indoor pool small town continental breakfast stay there again waffle maker hard boiled eggs higher price cleaning staff bad coffee working hard up to date motorcycle trip wi fi long weekend clerk sauna
Reviewed 14 September 2017

We recently stayed for a night as we were guests at a wedding nearby. We paid $175.00 for a room with 2 queen beds, which we thought was way too expensive for the area and the condition of the hotel.
The hotel is very dated and dumpy. Everything was in good working order and the room was clean, but in desperate need of updating. The included continental breakfast was on par with any other hotel, adequate if you chose wisely.
So basically, if the price was lower by about $40 to $50, we would have been satisfied.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Sunil P, Manager at Sword Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for your feed back. We are sorry to see that we weren't to your standards. We will take all that has been metioned into consideration. We hope you have a wonderful fall.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

a.k.a. Sword Inn Bancroft

My family just stayed at another motel in Ottawa, where only a quick bite was included in the morning. This place was at least a full thumb higher than the other motel, since they had a proper (filling) breakfast, that offered some variety, and a dining center was available for all guests to use.

The room was clean, and did not make too many sounds during the night.

The price was reasonable.

I liked that there was a person visible in the dining room, to help instruct us on how to use the waffle maker machine. Also, this person tidied the counters.

I like that there were short but helpful notes posted around, like in the main office's bathroom, and on the fridge. Notes said things like what to do if you would like to change a baby's diaper - you're to get a bag at the front desk beforehand to dispose of the soiled diaper this way; visuals were included of the three items in the fridge. Clear display of info on the fridge - nice.

Also nice were the water bottle left on our table. Thank you. These could be chilled and then used on the road.

Mattresses were pretty good; all of us were able to sleep the night.

Family-friendly, Privacy-seekers, even solo business or regular travellers, will find a comfortable and enjoyable place to stay, here.

other: physically-challenged people welcome here (ramp). Also, seems somewhat kitty friendly. Lots of good parking.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Sunil P, Manager at Sword Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Thank you for your great feed back! Its nice to see that you noticed all our helpful little notes and that our staff where there for help or cleaning when needed. We like to think of our guest staying here as part of our family and would not treat them in any other way then we would like to be treated or helped. Our staff works hard to make everyone's stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Its the perks of being small. :) We have done alot of upgrades in the past 3 years, and it makes it all worth while when we get such wonderful feed back from a guest like you. We hope you have a great long week end and hope to see you again next summer. I see you also met our guest greeting kitty. :) Have a great long weekend.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Booked this through a 3rd party with cancellation policy. 2 days later I found it on my credit card. A call to the hotel got a snotty attitude..I booked in a promotion and I can't get my money back even if I cancelled bla bla bla..manager away ..etc clearly I had 20 days to cancel..I canceled it because of this rude person 20 days early and they still have my money .. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

We’re sorry you were unhappy. Making reservations online sometimes can be confusing and miss understood. Policy are made to help everyone. Sometimes when there are last minute bookings and lots of reading we tend to not read things fully and miss parts of the reservation such as Non-Refundable rates - which are cheaper, but it means exactly what it means. Thank you once again for your feed back and hope you have a great long week end.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I booked a last minute room here for an event at the Bancroft Fish and Game club. Everything was sold out. I am used to the premium hotels so this was a step down. Upon entering the room I expected a typical musty motel smell. But to my surprise the room was clean. Smelled fine and was close enough to everything within walking distance. All though it looks old from the outside the inside was fine. Tiny bathroom. The sink was outside the bathroom. The floor matt was the walking space inside it. You had to get in the tub to close the door or your knees were right against the door frame sitting on the toilet. But breakfast included the waffles, muffins fruit and eggs in the fridge hard boiled. Ok for the price. There isn't much else in town as far as fancy hotels so this one was worth staying at. Bed was comfortable. Looks to be old and new sections of the hotel. I was across from the check in lobby. The room was very quiet. Pleasant staff and I would use it again.

Room Tip: Looks like there are old and new sections to the hotel. I read some bad comments about the beds. Mine was excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Sunil P, Manager at Sword Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Thank you for you great feed back and never judge a book by its cover. :p We where glad we had accomodates for you and that it was to your liking. We are pleased to have such a great staff and glad they could help in all ways. You are right though, this is Bancroft not down town Toronto. We strive to do our best and sometimes we give more than what big establishments can. With full amenaties in all rooms, a great breakfast area, indoor pool facilities and friendly staff what more could you want. :) We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. Cheers!

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Look, you're staying in Bancroft.
And this ain't one of your typical franchised Holiday Inn Xpress' or Mariott Town and Suites.
In fact, it is one of a dying breed of locally owned services in this sector that employs people who actually take pride in their work - we found that from the maid to the front desk clerks, everyone was keen to be helpful, cheery and polite.
Yes the building is dated and the tv flickers in the room. But the rooms are remarkably clean and comfortable. The pool is kid friendly and clean and there is a nice hot tub.
Just imagine you are in a Coen Brothers film and you'll be fine. It's a great adventure... And it is a busy spot - all different people from all different socio-economic groups stay here.
And all cram into the tiny nook for a breakfast that is simple with bad coffee.
Like I said, it's an experience and one that is certainly memorable ... you're staying at a place called the Sword Motor Inn for goodness sake!
We will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Sunil P, Manager at Sword Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

You get us! Thank you for your phenominal feed back. Its nice to see you enjoyed your time with us. A step back in time is nicely put. :) It may be what some people want but not all. When you are here in our little town of Bancroft there is a lot of stepping back in time and thats exactly what you come for. To relax and enjoy,no noise, no hussle bussle. Our breakfast area is like having breaky with a huge family. Its a great place to talk and get to meet people from all over the world and there is always a intresting story if your willing to relax and listen. Most of our guest love our establishment when they realize how relaxing and inviting it is and with full amenities in every room and a pool facility makes it a awesome place to stay for a couple of days or just passing through. We are very proud of our staff for always being so accomodating and helpfull no mattter what hour of the day it is, with full 24 hour service. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and look forward to seeing you again! Cheers!!