“I'm not much on Indian Cuisine”
Review of Modern India

Modern India
Ranked #280 of 555 Restaurants in Kitchener
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I did give it a try earlier this year. They have a buffet at noon so I got to sample everything. I'm not much of a curry connoisseur but I tried. They are always busy and the food was hot and fresh.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

We hadn't eaten here for several years, mostly because we do not live in Kitchener and have spent less and less time in the area (Sportsworld). We were wanting Indian food and I checked their website for buffet prices which were reasonable ($10.99 for lunch, $13.99 for dinner) still so we brought a friend with us who had never eaten Indian food. Our friend says she chokes on hot pepper or very spicy food but she was able to eat everything she tried and even thought the sweet potato batter needed more flavour. I like things very hot and spicy so I just added the heat with the green mint hot pepper sauce and fresh chilies. In our party of 4 the most enjoyed dishes were the curry goat, butter chicken, rice, paneer with spinach and the yellow dumpling sauce stuff I don't know the name of. I was disappointed in the tandoori chicken, typically among my favourites, it was less red, less spicy and because of the holding dish, it looked steamed. I ordered Indian spice tea, one of my favourites, and it was so bland as far as spice I had difficulty detecting the cardamom. I asked about it at the cashier when paying, I said it was disappointing to be so mild, he didn't respond other than that's the way they make it. My beef with our visit this time is we were chased out of the restaurant because they wanted to close. We were about 95% through, just finishing our last few bites, and found the man who seemed to be the manager or something like that to be impatient -- no smile, no attempt to make small talk or some kind of joke about closing the door on us. We didn't have watches but we knew we were impingeing on their end of buffet time. Still, at other buffets, when you arrive in the last hour of service they will be hospitable enough to let you clean your almost empty plate. Same guy that didn't address my comment about the spiced tea was the one that virtually chased us out mid-bite. It would have felt better if he looked us in the eye, smiled, and said something human. They did say they had to lock the door but didn't make it clear that meant we were on the other side of the locked door. Many stores and restaurants we've been in locked the door to prevent new customers coming in but allowed us to complete our transactions or finish the last few bites on our plate.

All in all our server was good, friendly, smiled, was helpful, attentive, the food was very reasonably priced and enjoyable. I like much more spice and heat but the rest of my table was happy with the flavour so it worked for us - I guess I can say it is a somewhat Canadianized Indian buffet. Forget ever ordering spiced tea and don't even think of arriving as late as one hour before buffet closing unless you eat quickly or specialize in eat and run, there was one table that came and went astonishingly fast. The restaurant was clean so it appears those issues have been remedied.

One of our party was in a wheelchair, we don't remember if we held the door or if it was automatic. She entered and exited easily, probably why we don't remember how we did it. She didn't visit the washroom so we don't know if that is accessible or if it offers a taller toilet.

We will return to give it another chance since we had good experiences years ago, the food is good enough and the price is very good…. but we'll make sure we have 90 minutes to eat before closing, if not, we'll go to East Side Mario's or other reasonably priced restaurant. We have a few crazy delicious Indian restaurants at home in Guelph (Bombay Kitchen, Diva) so there is no need (or desire) to drive 40 minutes to get here when we want the taste of Indian food.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Walked in they were doing construction in the restaurant. There was dust everywhere, the chair seats were so dirty. The buffet food was not covered up while they were doing work. Food was soso.

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

The buffet for lunch was ok. It's greasiest than it needs to be and not the most authentic. But it does the trick for the price.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

We visited this restaurant today and we will never go back. We have eaten there in the past and enjoyed the food. We have realized that the facility has become dirtier and dirtier and never gets cleaned. The chairs are filthy ,the walls are filthy, the general condition of the restaurant is filthy. We used to go in because we did enjoy the food but today most of what we ate was cold. We will never go back. The basmati rice which was always delicious was horrible. The butter chicken was not good. The vegetables were cold. This was the busiest lunchtime visit we have ever made to this restaurant and yet the food was cold. We will never go back, if I haven't already said. Never never never.

1  Thank trillium820