“Disgusting”

Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Ended up spending a night at this hotel because of a snow storm and didn't want to drive home. It was disgusting. There was hair on the "clean" towels, there was serious scum around the bathtub, the ceiling was stained, the heater didn't work, there was ashes on the table when we arrived...Overall DISGUSTING and I will never ever return!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank LindsToronto
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

Dear LindsToronto,

Thank you for your honest review, it is guests such as yourself that we appreciate. I know that the review of the hotel was a negative review however honest. I am truly sorry that you were unhappy with your stay at the Howard Johnson Kitchener, unfortunately our guest room was not up to standards the date you had checked in and I have personally spoken to both the housekeeping manager and all of the housekeepers as I do not have enough information to clarify which room you stayed in to pinpoint which housekeeper has been slacking at their job. We pride ourselves on making everyone's stay enjoyable and a "home away from home" however at the time you had stayed at the hotel it was neither enjoyable nor a place you would want to rest. I do wish that you had contacted the guest services agent immediately once you were unsatisfied and had informed us as we would have rectified the situation immediately and made you as comfortable as possible. If you would like to contact the hotel and discuss the comments and concerns and give us more details and come to a resolution we would be happy to hear from you by either telephone (519) 893-1234 or email to hojoguest@yahoo.com. We sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future to come.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga

Reviewed 8 March 2012

When we got to the room I thought there must have been a mistake, the beds looked messy, sheets wrinkled, pillows out of place, room dirty, bathroom was dirty and smelly. I called the housekeeper which was in next room. Her comment was "that's how the other housekeeper does it". I approached the service desk and the young woman said she would let management know. I took pictures of the room because we had to leave for an event and when we got back to the hotel I asked for the manager but instead I got the "Indian man" as mentioned in the comment before mine. This man said that "not all the rooms look like this", give me a break, none of the rooms should look like this for 104.00 per night, I told him to refund my Visa and we drove home 70kms away only to be back in Kitchener the next morning for 8. These people have no business skills, shame on them to treat guests like that, the pictures they have on the website is a true misrepresentation . Horrible!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hilda a
Hojo11798, General Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

I want to thank you for expressing your comments and concerns in regards to the room you and your family were planning on staying in. Please know that we have spoken to the housekeeper in regards to the comment she had made to you, it was very inappropriate and unprofessional and has learned that she needs to rectify the problem if it was brought to her attention. The Indian guest services agent had offered to show you a different room however you had refused to look at it instead you decided to check out. Please know that nothing was charged to your visa card that you had given upon check in. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to come. If you choose the Howard Johnson Kitchener again please reference this review upon booking your reservation and we will offer you a special discount.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here overnight on a business trip and wow was I ever disgusted. This hotel is FILTHY. Checked in and was greeted by a very rude indian? man in a suit. He kept telling me to make sure my company books direct from their website not third party, over and over kept saying this.

Went to my room and heres what I found (sorry didn't take pictures of the first room)
- Stains and cigarette burns in comforter
- stains on sheets
- an 1/8 of a inch of dust and GRIME on top of the hair dryer
- mould in tub
- dust on everything and everywhere
- hair in sink
- expired coffee - June 2011

So I obviously went to the front desk and complain and was given a new room, different shape with a king bed. This room was better but still so bad, like this place is disgusting. I gave up on trying to get a new room as I had to check out early and just needed sleep. But have a look at pictures from second room. I actually went accross the street to Zehrs and bought Lysol wipes and Febreeze antibacterial. Came back and spent a half hour cleaning my room. You know that when you wipe any surface and the cloth comes off BLACK that the room hasn't been properly cleaned in a while.
-Blood stains on sheet
-"mystery" stains on sheets
-stained bedspread
-dust again - everywhere
-filthy windows (on the inside)
-Pizza dipping sauce lid in drawer of dresser as well as some black stuff??
-mould and grime on tiles in shower

but they will tell you "beautiful and renovated tower rooms" sooo not the case. These rooms are filthy.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at, would not reccomend to anyone!! DO NOT STAY IN THIS DISGUSTING FILTHY HOTEL! I would hate to see the "unrenovated rooms"!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WorkinTraveller

This review is a totally unacceptable, unethical and filled with racism. Upon check in the guest services agent noticed that his reservation was booked by a third party website which was assigned a smoking room instead of a non smoking room which the guest requested upon booking. The Guest Services agent informed him for future reservations to get the desired room type please book direct to the hotel.
Due to renovations in the hotel all bathtubs have been re-glazed, brand new carpets, bedding, mattresses, draperies, fridge and microwave in all rooms almost everything in the room is brand new. We upgraded the guest to a non smoking king size room without an upgrade fee.
This review is untruthful. Around 5pm the guest posted three reviews for other hotels that were negative reviews sitting in our hotel room. The guest could not find anything wrong in the room, so he just took a picture of the exhaust fan in the bathroom.
The conclusion is please inform the front desk staff during your stay in regards to any issue and give them a chance to serve you better.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We were in room 217 which is a King suite. Was supposed to be non smoking however it did smell badly of smoke and is in the smoking wing of the section. Room was not overly clean but wasn't overly dirty, there was a used bandaid stuck on a chair and cigarette ashes all over the door leading into the sitting area. the sheets were clean on both the bed and the pullout couch however the comforter on the bed had blood on it and it hadn't been washed, though I do know most hotels do not change the comforters always between guests so this isn't strictly an issue here. Room was extremely dated and needs a lot of work. Torn border, chipping paint on the bathroom tiles, a one by four holding up the sink area in the sitting area of suite, plunger kept beside toilet as toilet didn't flush well. However the people at the hotel were very friendly and when I asked for extra towels and pillows they were sent immediately. Price was a little high I thought for the quality and condition of the room but again the staff made up for it as best they could. The lady I spoke to when making the reservation was very helpful and friendly. I likely wouldn't stay again unless I was put in a renovated room, this room was extremely dated and not in the least but attractive but it had two beds and a bathroom which we needed for two nights. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie3950
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here for 1 night during Oktoberfest, with friends in another room.

I was only able to sleep for 2 hours this night, as there were individuals in the parking lot directly outside of our window, partying all night. They were there until approximately 4 a.m. and returned at 6:30 a.m. for another 2 hours. This group had chairs set up, cases of beer, and were yelling loudly.

I had to call the front desk multiple times to request that this group be told to leave. The individual I spoke to at the desk was very reluctant to speak to this group and did not seem to want to help. I was shocked that he did not want to help. He also claimed that the noise was the result of people returning to their rooms from the nearby festival, however it was clear that this wasn't the case, since they were "camped out" for the night. I could in fact hear their entire conversations and gathered that they were tailgating before a football game the next morning.

The next morning, I went to speak to Kam Patel, the hotel manager, about the experience and request a refund. He mentioned that he would have to speak to the person on duty the previous night, and again argued that the noise was the result of people returning to their rooms from the festival, and basically accused me of lying. He also mentioned that the hotel does not make any guarantees on nights when there are special events taking place in the area, however we were not told this at any time prior. Regardless of this, while we would have reasonably expected noise from individuals returning to their hotel rooms at night, what took place was completely unacceptable (and I think illegal??), with or without any type of guarantee.

Mr. Patel told us that he would investigate and would give us a call the next day, but we never received a phone call. He also mentioned we could only get a partial discount, which is unreasonable as we were not provided with clean, comfortable accommodations, as is promised in the company's brochure. He stated that we would have had to check out of our hotel room in the middle of the night in order to get a refund, which is a ridiculous suggestion given that we would be stranded in a city 70 miles away from our home!

I contacted Howard Johnson corporate about this, only to be redirected to Mr. Patel, who did not respond to any of the actual issues in my emails and simply repeated the same nonsense he had told me in person. We never received a discount of ANY kind.

On top of this, the room my friends stayed in had a large amount of white, crusty stuff on the blankets...gross!

Needless to stay, these people do not know how to run a business!

Room Tip: if you like sleep, avoid anything facing out onto the parking lot. better yet, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura H
Hojo11798, Owner at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Thank you for expressing your thoughts and concerns in regards to your past stay in 2011, please know we take all reviews seriously and understand that you were not pleased with your stay at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. We have been in contact with you via email in regards to your comments and concerns and have given you a discount that was returned to your credit card that I personally as well as Howard Johnson head office believed was fair.
I understand that you state that you were unable to get sleep and only received 2 hours of sleep, we do have it on record that you requested a cab around 11pm and returned back to the hotel late around 2am. Unfortunately due to the festivities in town, almost 95% of the hotel’s occupancy was attending the town’s festivities. We had informed all hotel guests at check in that we cannot control noise over the 2 weekend span of Oktoberfest. The other hotel members that you had mentioned who were seen making a disturbance were in fact spoken to accordingly and everything was quiet after that.
As promised in the email the general manager had sent you previously we do keep our promises, our hotel is 90 percent renovated and if you are ever in the Kitchener area again we would like to offer you a tower room at a discounted price. I am truly sorry that you had not enjoyed your stay in 2011, as that surely was not our intent; we hope to see you and your friends in the near future.

Best Regards