“Always makes me feel like I’ve wasted money ”

IL FORNELLO, Richmond Hill
Ranked #71 of 484 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Price range: USD 12 - USD 23
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located on Yonge Street just north of Highway 7, IL FORNELLO in Richmond Hill features a sophisticated interior design and convenient location in the Bayview Glen Plaza. High ceilings, an abundance of natural light and a neutral colour palette complement the rich rosewood interior, plush banquette seating and marble bar. Perfect for intimate dinners, lunch with colleagues or a family Weekend Brunch.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I've tried this place several times over the years. I don't get the good reviews? Service is fine, seems busy all the time but pizzas are lacking in flavour, pasta is dry and tasteless, salads are nothing special. I always feel the same way after eating here...I can't say it's bad but I don't walk away saying that was delicious and tasty.
Bartender makes a damn good Caesar though....

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

You can look long and hard to find a consistently reliable Restaurant that serves good food, with efficiency and politeness. The Chicken Asiago is always good, same for Caprese salad. Been a few times in the last month and it's always GOOD. Worth the time to stop by for a great meal at reasonable prices.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent service in a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately the food is bland and beyond mediocre. We’ve been here several times over the past three years and it never seems to get any better. Ultimately disappointing.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Nice place before a movie. Prices are not too high. Service is typically good. Easy to park. It is just off Yonge street and is quite simple to find. You will never be disappointed. It is not fine dining but you could do a lot worse.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

Our server that night was very friendly and prompt with filling up our water glasses. However, he forgot to bring our wine for a few minutes until he suddenly remembered. He also completely forgot to bring us our bread basket…. which in the end was fine because I wouldn’t have needed more carbs anyway, but the fact was that he forgot entirely.

We ordered the Orrechiette Con Ragu Di Pancetta E Funghi and Pizza Fichi (which I have raved about and recommended to people since the last time I had it. Unfortunately, neither was to my liking that night.

Firstly, the orecchiette dish was overly al dente at first taste. Being at an Italian restaurant, I wasn’t sure initially whether the al dente was just too firm and hard for my liking or whether it was slightly uncooked — that actually didn’t occur to me until a halfway into the dish because my impression of Il Fornello had been so good up to this point that I didn’t think anything less of them. However, I actually did think that the pasta in this dish was undercooked. Not to mention that each pasta shell was very firm and did taste a tiny bit raw, but also the shells of the orecchiette stuck together several at a time. I believe that when pasta is thoroughly cooked, it shouldn’t stick together at all…

The Pizza Fichi was also a disappointment because instead of being a predominantly fig pizza, it ended up being more of a prosciutto pizza. When I looked at the pizza, there were barely any figs on it. Yes, there was one fig piece per slice of the pizza but that one piece was like a sliver of the actual fig fruit and nothing compared to the generous and succulent portions that I had had before.

Before we left that night, we had the Chocolate Banana Cake. This was actually very good! It was a lot more chocolaty than I realized. The banana and banana mousse were extra cold in between the slice of the cake and the cake was definitely garnished with chocolate ganache on the outside. It was a heavy cake but tasted quite good and moist (which is so important for cakes).

That night, both K and I had to go to the toilet multiple times.... we think it was because of our dinner at Il Fornello.. :/