“I highly reccommend Masala bay if you are looking to take a special somewhere nice”
Review of Masala Bay

Masala Bay
Ranked #49 of 421 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2016

Take someone special there when they are not busy! its quiet and intimate! the wait staff ( a very kind sweet lady) is very nice! buy a sizzining platter it is sure to impress! it literally is going to be sizzling when it comes out of the kitchen! this place is amazing!

Reviewed 1 May 2016

Love trying new venues and really enjoy Indian food. While the food was decent, the price was a bit high for the portions served. I know Indian food can be labour-intensive and I appreciate the effort but it was still just 'okay'. Would be interested in checking out their buffet. Worth a second trip back if the buffet is a more economical choice.

Reviewed 9 April 2016 via mobile

We dined here tonight on a date night. The food was good but overpriced for the portion size. There were only 2 other tables occupied on a Friday night. The ambience was completely destroyed by the noises coming from the kitchen for the entire hour of our dining experience! Sounded like 3-4 people were fighting and arguing loudly. This was awkward and annoying! When I complained to the waitress, she responded 'oh I've already shushed them!' No apology, nothing from her! We should have left a $0 tip, but we have more courtesy than the people running this restaurant. I won't be returning any time soon. Get your act together, don't fight when your guests can hear you!

2  Thank AmanSawrup
Reviewed 23 March 2016

My family love good Indian food so we were excited to try Masala Bay. Three of us attended on a Saturday night (early) without reservations and we were seated at one of the few unreserved tables. We ordered their version of Samosas (Beggars Purse) to start. We found them a bit over seasoned but generally good. Each of us had a shrimp dish with sides of rice and garlic naan. The rice and naan were very good. The shrimp dishes were less successful. I had the prawn Balchao (shrimp in Goan spices) and the others in our party had the shrimp in cashew sauce (Jheenga Be-Nezeer.) The shrimp in each dish were just slightly overcooked and the spice combinations were very good but overdone. I don't mean the dishes were spicy but that they were overpoweringly overseasoned. It was a similar experience to over-salted food but it was the heavy use of spices that was challenging. Mine was so rich with spices that I couldn't finish it. I'm not sure if it was an off night but the fact that the samosas and the two mains were all over seasoned makes me think it was by design and not an accident. As I noted earlier, the combination of spices were quite good they used too much.

Reviewed 18 March 2016 via mobile

This was my first visit. The restaurant came highly recommended by various businesses in downtown Waterloo. It has won a local award for Favourite Indian Restaurant. The buffet offered a great variety of choices including desserts. I loved the goat, buttered chicken, tandoori chicken and various vegetable dishes. Rice was cooked to perfection. I would definitely return for meals. The M-F lunch buffet is very reasonable at $13.50.

I need to say that two things didn't sit right with me: 1) The tub of dirty dishes I had to pass to and from the buffet was a turn-off. 2) I ordered a chai and it took a long time to prepare and it was weak, watery and not that chai-spiced when it arrived.