“Almost Perfect”

Cuisines: Canadian, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We've been to TBH many times and usually find everything great, although there have been a couple of times when food and service have not been up to par. Last night was a good night. We love the appetizers ( but what happened to the bacon wrapped scallops?) and they have a decent craft beer selection. Their prime rib, which my husband ordered, is usually fantastic and last night was no exception. I ordered the fish that was on special and it was quite delicious. Our server was very sweet and our food arrived promptly.
Why almost perfect? I thought we had finally found a good spot in the restaurant that wasn't too loud with music or people and we did, except at eight they decided to turn the background music way up. Why do restaurants think we want to talk over loud music? It was only eight, not ten, where I could perhaps see some patrons wanting to pop in for a drink. We've walked away from this restaurant several times when they've had live musicians blaring music through the dinner hour. We LOVE music...my husband is a musician, but we go to a restaurant at seven to EAT, not listen to a band. Especially a loud one, even if it's a solo artist.
My next issue is not having salt and pepper shakers on the table. Why do a lot of restaurants NOT have these on tables any more? Is it not cool? Is the chef so amazing that they know their dish is spiced just perfectly? Yes I know they bring around the silly pepper grinder so the waiter/waitress can grind it on for you like you're a child. (Milestones gives you your very own pepper grinder on the table! What a concept? And that's a chain restaurant!)
My next issue this time was the feeling of being rushed as we paid and the hovering of the wait staff over the ever so precious debit machine. The minute we stated that we were too full for dessert, our lovely server rushed over with the bill in one hand and machine in the other....not even giving us a chance to glance over the bill, figure out a tip, make sure there weren't mistakes, and then hover over us as we paid. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. Other restaurants have done this too. Has there been a ton of dine and dashes in Durham region that I'm not aware of? Is that the only debit machine in the entire restaurant?
I doubt any of our issues will be addressed as I've noticed there has not been a response from management to any of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

1  Thank Audrey N

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Good variety on the menu,good portions,large restaurant but quite.large bar seating area. Also offer a Sunday brunch.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We went to Sunday brunch with family, there were 10 of us. This was the worst brunch we have ever had. Where do I start? Terrible wait staff, slow, must have asked 10x for water, finally got it. The brunch was pathetic, not much choice, no soup, no cheeses, no cold cuts, no fish, 1 salad, no pancake station,kept running out of items, not replenished, food staff using hands to make pizza, carve meat, not hygienic at all. The place was grubby. Apparently this restaurant holds Sunday Brunch every week, so you think they would be pros. Please save yourself the trouble and go elsewhere.

1  Thank relaxationtime01
Reviewed 18 February 2018

Went here with family a couple months back and I have to say it was very good. Nice good and drinks. Good service and not unreasonably priced either. Not sure about the decor inside, which I didn't care for, but everything else was great. Staff excellent!

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Excellent meal with lots of food and perfect service. Will definitely return for the Sunday brunch in the near future.