“Almost as good as going home”

River Rock Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is fourth time in three months that I have needed a hotel convenient to the Vancouver Airport. The hotel is three or maybe four stops away from the Airport on the Canada Line Skytrain. This makes it exceptionally convenient as you don't even have to go outside to access the hotel.

I found myself on my return, looking forward to my night at the hotel almost as much as my return home. I knew I would have a fantastically comfortable bed with my choice of feather or foam pillows. I couldn't wait to get there to snuggle in after all the uncomfortable beds I had experienced on my most recent trip. The linens are soft and the towels are luxurious. The bathroom even has a soft bathmat like home. The rooms are quiet and comfortable. What more can I say? It's a great hotel and you know it's good when you are looking forward to arriving there as much as going home.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear MexicoLover100,

The River Rock Casino Resort prides itself with having the most comfortable beds, linens and especially pillows for our guests and we are glad you agree! I will send your compliments to our housekeeping team who work tirelessly to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for River Rock Casino Resort

Reviewed 21 February 2012

You would not normally think a casino hotel would be a good choice for kids, but I have stayed at this hotel twice with my wife and two small children and it was great both times. The one bedroom suites are a good size and comfortable. If you get a suite facing the marina and river, the kids can watch the tugboats pulling barges in the river, as well as watching the planes land at the airport in the distance. Despite being close to the airport, it is a very quiet hotel.

The pool was also a big hit. It is bright, quite shallow, and has a great waterslide.

The whole family loved the breakfast and dinner buffet, and the cost to take kids to the buffet is very economical. Parking is free, and with the skytrain stopping right next to the hotel, you can leave the car parked all weekend, and take the train into downtown. Seeing downtown Vancouver is best when you don't have to worry about finding parking.

I would highly recommend this hotel. The service is excellent, the facilities are great, and the skytrain gives you easy access to downtown. It is a great place for a weekend trip with the family.

Room Tip: A river view is a bit more expensive, but it is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank g1g1g1
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear g1g1g1,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear that you and your family have enjoyed our facilities before and have found The River Rock kid friendly. Our pool area is fun and easy for the family with the waterslide being such a huge attraction!

The Buffet definitely has options for everyone, including children and we pride ourselves in producing a wide array of quality goods. I will pass on your compliments to the Buffet Team.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Check-in was great, room OK. Nice robes A distinct cigarette smoke smell permeates the premises, which is pretty odd for a new hotel in BC.
Gambling and smoking I guess -- folks were smoking on-premises right outside the main entry doors.

Coffee-maker unbearably lame -- cheapest of the cheap.

Restaurant very nice, although a few too many over-priced (& over-hyped) BC wines Lounge --- service wasn't great, and Casino noise overwhelming.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear themikster,

Thank you kindly for your feedback from your recent stay with us. You have given us specific issues that will be addressed and we will use your feedback as a means of continually improving the services we provide for every guest. Our staff particpate in on going service training throughout the year and I can assure you we will use this as an opportunity to learn.

We are sorry that you found cigarette smoke to be strong in the resort. Our facility is a non-smoking one and all guests have designated areas to smoke outside. The recent addition of Nespresso coffee machines to all of our rooms is an upgraded amenity but we also have a wonderful coffee shop, Java Jacks, on property which would also be able to meet your needs.

I ask you to contact me directly to book your next reservation, given this opportunity; I know the team at the River Rock will exceed every expectation you may have.

Kindly,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Always a pleasure to stay at a new hotel that features all new current technology. The rooms are well appointed, staff are well trained, adjacent restaurants have a great variety of dishes to choose from. we had top soth west floor, free wifi and parking. Will be back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was one of the first guests to stay in this hotel when it opened (in fact, they were still stocking the mini-bar in the room for the first time when I entered my room). I stayed there the first night they opened and several times since when I'm in Vancouver for business. Its definitively convenient to the airport (YVR).

This is a great property for business travellers and adults. It is attached to the casino, which I don't use, but it does provide for an interesting atmosphere. I've never seen kids there, and I don't think there is much to offer for them, however for the business traveller or someone who wants to get away for the weekend (or any time) it's a great place.

At the time of booking, I did not know they are right on the SkyTrain route - which comes from the airport to downtown. I rented a car as I did not know this... There was several days, even with a car, I just used the SkyTrain to downtown. For $2.50 you can ride the SkyTrain downtown and not have to worry about traffic, parking or gas (and it's only about a twenty minute ride). There is almost no good reason to take a car!

I love watching the logs make their way down the river. It is quite the site and you can view this from several different places around the property - including your room if you get a "River View."

The food in the restaurant is very good. There is almost something for everyone. There is also great views of the river from their too. I like the fact how you get your own food (buffet) and the server makes sure your drinks are topped up.

The only part of the hotel I did not like was the lengthy walk to my car in the parkade. The walk was not so bad, however it is the smoking of the casino visitors and other hotel guests during this walk that makes it awkward. I often had to hold my breathe as it bothers me a bit. I wish the hotel could make that smoke free and find a designated area for the smokers (perhaps there is one, and the people weren't following the rules?), however that is the only negative I can mention. This would definitely not stop me from staying their again.

Room Tip: I had asked for a River View and was told for what I paid (pre-paid) and the length of stay that I c...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear TravelGuy747,

We are very happy to hear about your great experience with us! Our proximity to the skytrain route is such a time saver and are glad to see you were able to take advantage of this. For any future visits, I want to let you know that we do have the one self-parking lot that is complimentary(the one you utilized), a paid overnight parking in a secure lot as well as paid valet parking which does decrease walking time and therefore you will not have to walk by the smoking permitted areas outside. We are glad you liked your "River View Room" and all the activity that can happen out there. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to you staying with us again.

Kindly,