Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
VancTraveller
Vancouver

Enjoyable 3 night GAA Stay

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 July 2021
I booked a 3 night Government Approved Accommodation (“GAA”) stay at the Hilton as a returning traveller. Staff were most efficient and accommodating in dealing with my booking. I had a number of questions on how a GAA stay works and was very satisfied with the detailed responses the hotel provided to my list of questions – such as flexibility due to change in travel plans, ability of family and friends to drop off food or other items for me, how to deal with dinner the first night as I was arriving late evening after the hotel kitchen closes. I also ended up having to change my arrival date several times and on short notice due to health issues with my parents delaying my departure and was very appreciative that staff patiently processed each change of date until my travel plans could finally firm up. Special mention must go to Shelley Franklin and Andy Lee who dealt with my booking, answered my many questions and arranged for my several changes of arrival date – always promptly and ever so patient with me and understanding of my circumstances.

My flight landed around 9:20 pm in the evening and by the time I arrived at the hotel, it was probably around 11 pm. The hotel advised that as they did not have an airport shuttle, I should take a taxi to the hotel and they would reimburse me for the cost of the taxi, which they did in cash on check in. Check-in was quick, and I was very happy to learn I had been upgraded to a corner one bedroom suite.

The suite was very large, had a bathroom off the entry corridor, then opened up to a sitting room area with a large flat screen TV, a large 4 person sofa and a separate one person sofa seat, a work desk against the wall, and a coffee maker and microwave on top of a side cabinet and a mini fridge inside the cabinet. There was a door off the sitting room that opens to a small balcony. Not that I needed it for a 3 night stay but there was plenty of closet space both in the sitting room area and in the bedroom. The separate bedroom was very bright with floor to ceiling windows on two sides due to its corner location and had a king bed and another large flat screen TV. The bathroom looked like it was recently renovated and the shower in particular was very attractive looking with a wood look tile finish on the wall and floor and had both an overhead rainfall showerhead and a hand held sprayer. Décor in the sitting room was a bit dated, particularly the sofa and sofa seat and one of the two cushions on the 4 person sofa was overly soft from having been sat on a lot.

The balcony was not really of much use as it was very small, too small to put a chair out to sit on, so it was really only for use to stand on to look across the street at the community centre or look down the street. In terms of things missing – I could have used slippers, bathrobe and an electric kettle.

The room did not seem to have been specially prepared for an isolation stay. In Hong Kong under the designated quarantine hotel system, hotels would put a lot of supplies into the room in anticipation of the longer quarantine stay. With the Hilton, supplies seemed to be just the standard – 2 coffee packs of each of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee, two packs of Coffeemate creamer, two paper cups etc. Since the GAA stay is for 3 nights, it would have made sense to pre-stock supplies for 3 stays. The bathroom had the usual Hilton shampoo, conditioner and body wash but no cups for brushing teeth so the only cups in the room were the two paper ones provided with the coffee maker. I ended up requesting more supplies – more coffee packs, sugar, creamers and cups as I stayed the full 3 nights of my booking.

You are permitted to check out early after you receive your arrival Covid-19 test result, and I had received the negative test result around 7:20 pm the next evening after arrival. However, the GAA rate is stated to be non-refundable and non-cancellable although I understand from a friend who also stayed at the Hilton a couple of weeks earlier that the hotel did end up partially refunding for the cost of meals and government designated GAA surcharge when he checked out one day early after receiving his Covid-19 test result.

The GAA rate includes 3 meals a day. As I arrived late night the first day, the hotel asked me to arrange my own food and then they would reimburse me through the hotel bill for the stay. I could order a delivery service or ask a friend to drop off food for me with the front desk and they would deliver it to my room. I ended up asking a friend to pick up something for me and the hotel did deliver it very promptly to my room.

The hotel has a special room service menu for GAA stays with 6 choices for breakfast and 9 choices for each of lunch and dinner. Meals could be ordered between 6:30-10:30 am for breakfast, 11 am-3:30 pm for lunch and 5-9 pm for dinner. Ordering was done through the front desk and delivery to my room was very quick, usually within 30 minutes. All the meals I had during my stay were very good, especially the breakfasts (I have included photos of my meals with this review). Food is served in plastic or paper containers with disposable cutlery provided, and guests are requested to put everything back in a plastic bag after finishing with their meals and leaving the plastic bag outside the door for collection and disposal. When delivering meals, staff would ring my doorbell, leave my meal in a plastic bag on top of a serving trolley placed across my doorway and then stand back for me to open my door and pick up my food. I must admit I had low expectations for the food and actually had snacks in my suitcase in case I got hungry, but I found the food was much better than I expected, was delicious and filling, and my snacks supplies were completely unnecessary.

All my interactions with the front desk were good, staff are very friendly and made every effort to make guests’ stays more enjoyable and comfortable.

When my stay was over and I checked out, I noticed there were quite a few other guests standing around outside the entrance or at the front desk so it seems the hotel is quite busy and the guests seemed to be GAA stay guests as I could see front desk explaining the special room service menu to them.

Overall, I had a good stay at the Hilton for the required 3 nights GAA stay. The room was comfortable, the meals very good and service was friendly and attentive.
Date of stay: July 2021
    AU$318
6.5 km from Hilton Vancouver Airport
View more hotels in Richmond
1,243 results
All reviews junior suite small balcony vancouver airport breakfast buffet parking garage outdoor pool living room richmond mall free shuttle business trip convenient location front desk staff stayed here for one night elevator train flight yvr
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 July 2021

My family spent 3 nights of quarantine in this hotel,they said it was really good and comfortable,the staffs were very helpful and friendly. Food is fine also, overall it was great because they assist my family well.

Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank miaagustin19
Reviewed 14 June 2021

Horrible food at the hotel, ordered from their dine-in menu and very limited options plus not all of the ingredients were listed on it. As a result of which I got sick. Dirty balcony with birds poop and algae all over the chair, table and balcony floor and walls. Normally none of those things are important to me, as I would eat outside in the city restaurants and take outdoor walks. However, I had to mandatory quarantine for 3 days, while waiting for my Covid test due to travel, because of that food and balcony were very important…. I’m very disappointed…

Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank Mariaewamia
Reviewed 26 May 2021 via mobile

We stayed for the mandatory hotel quarantine and can only praise the great service and food. As we received our test and were able to leave within 30 hours the manager was kind enough to not charge us for the last night .

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Cpcotton
Reviewed 16 May 2021

Friendly and fast check in and check out. Great respond on any request and questions. Travelling with 2 kids and room was very accomodating with balcony. In room dining response also very fast. Feeling warm and welcome the whole time during stays

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank danielsetiawan2021
Reviewed 26 April 2021

I was really a good time .☺️☺️☺️..I enjoyed a lot....🙏🙏🙏🙏hotel’s staff is very friendly and helpful...👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻Moreover room service and cleanliness is also wonderful..I wish to visit again and I will definitely 👍👍

Date of stay: April 2021