“Best Shanghainese cuisine in Richmond”
Review of Shanghai River

Shanghai River
Ranked #9 of 956 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 7 December 2017

My years of service in Richmond, price increase a lot due to inflation. They serve good tasty food with deep flavor. Sitting hall is comfort with soft ambient light. Friendly service.
I like there dumpling with soup, fine shell filled with lot of delicious soup. The sesame cake with pork is the best I found so far in great Vancouver, crispy like eggshell with fascinate presentation. The Hu Diao chicken is below average, flavor of wine is not outstanding. If you like Shanghainese cuisine but not too greasy, this location is a very good choice.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

This place is not cheap but it is good. We had the spicy shrimp and the smoked duck. Rice on the side.

Good tea, OK wine. The food was delicious! I would eat here repeatedly given the chance.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Having dined in tons of Chinese restaurants in the lower mainland, I can say this place is definitely one of the very best. The crab soup dumpling is very good. The skin is just slightly thicker than typical competitors and a slightly larger shell is filled with more soup. I highly recommend it. The regular soup dumpling is good but similar to other places.

Other than the dumplings they also make tons of great dishes that require precision and skill. The taro boneless duck is very tender and soft. Some other places can easily make this dish too dry as they attempt to render the duck fat out. Not this place. Moist to perfection.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the oyster soup rice. It’s a flavour explosion every bite, and comes with a healthy amount of veggies. The salty fish in it also adds more to the flavour.

For a Chinese restaurant, it has pretty good service. The tea is also much high quality than others. The place is a bit more expensive than others but I think the quality speaks for itself.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

The food was delicious. Every dish was tasty and savory without being overly seasoned or too salty. We had a vegetarian in our family so it makes ordering a little more of a challenge but the waitress was helpful. Almost all noodle dishes have a chicken broth so we couldn't order that. She pointed us to Shanghai brown noodles which could be made vegetarian. The veggie dumplings were good. The bean tips were a vegetable I've not seen before- a mix of spinach and Chinese broccoli. Very good. We had pan fried pork dumplings and they were good also. "Crispy rice" dish was really good- it's what they call Sizzling rice dish in the US. The dishes are a good size but not huge. Between the 4 of us, we had 2 dumpling dishes, the pan fried noodle dish, Crispy rice dish, the bean tips, shrimp special (lightly seasoned but delicious and moderately spicy as promised) and there were no leftovers.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Amazing food freshly prepared. Packed with families which is a good sign. I stayed in one of the nearby Airport hotel for three weeks and ate here with friends three times.