1,009 results
All reviewscity centrewedding receptionsuperior roomlovely hotelbar foodstayed here for one nightfollowing morningreception areaenjoyable staycooked breakfastfrom start to finishlovely roomboth nightsgalwayreceptionistirelandoutskirts
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

So decided to come here for our anniversary and were not let down we came on a Thursday for two nights and had an amazing time staff are very friendly and polite on the Friday we met a manager called Graham again like the staff was amazing and kept checking in on us to see how we were getting on the food was gorgeous I can recommend the chowder it really was tasty overall a great experience great food and staff and one of the best pints of Heineken I've ever had thanks again will return next time we go to galway so complements to the chef and staff great job really polite

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

Went to the Westwood for dinner with the better half after work, we were waiting only for a short period and the staff were very knowledgeable and polite. Food was well cooked and very filling and well presented.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David L
Reviewed 4 January 2018

It was early December and the lovely Christmas decorations added to the charm of the hotel. Decent sized, clean rooms and a good breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful in advising where to go in town and organizing a taxi. Not too hard to pay either, a good spot if you need an overnight in Galway .

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank DeeFromMoira
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed for three nights after Christmas. We used the Westwood as a base to drive around Connemara and Clare. The hotel ticked all boxes. It was clean, comfortable and staff were friendly. The breakfast was the typical buffet and a choice of hot food. The only gripe I have is that they have grilled fillet or smoked fish on the menu. I ordered this and got a large piece of warmed through smoked salmon. Maybe it's personal taste but I thought it was a bad choice to serve this as part of an otherwise decent breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody wanting to sample Galway city and tour the surrounding countryside by car.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2017

My wife and I stayed here just before Xmas, to go watch a rugby match. Got a B&B deal on Groupon, or similar, so it wasn't a massive price. Set a bit out of Galway city, on a large site with good free car parking. Booked-in easily in the impressive reception area and got our room- 133. 1st issue The hotel seemed nearly empty yet they still gave us a room over a bank of air-con fan units that started up about an hour after we arrived. No chance of a good nights sleep there and our pet hate! Went and spoke to the helpful receptionist who duly moved us to room 119- slightly larger and to the front of the hotel.
The style of the whole place seems like faded Victorian in the decor and way the rooms are laid out. Massive king-size bed and all the usual bits and pieces, inc free bottled water, which was nice. All nice and clean although in need of a bit of TLC, which is unlikely to be forthcoming in the circumstances. The old Victorian styling is carried on throughout the building, including the warm and friendly bar area.
Somebody said the hotel is only less than 20 years old but I found that hard to believe, given the trouble that had been gone to to obtain the style around the place.
The breakfast in the morning was a mixture of buffet and a served cooked breakfast. All very nice and no complaints again.

Now the bad news. This grand hotel is scheduled to close in 2018, either in September or December, depending on who you are talking to. Apparently to make way for student accommodation for nearby Galway University! Seems such a shame to me but that`s progress for you, I suppose.
I`m just glad we had time to sample this nice place before it finally closes its doors.

NB- one small thing that annoyed me was the price of the taxi fares to and from the city centre. Not sure if they were taking the hand out of a couple of tourists, but €8 into town and €9 out again seemed slightly excessive, given its only around a couple of miles. Or maybe i`m just out of touch with what taxis cost now.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the air con units!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple