Westwood House Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Corrib House Hotel(Oughterard)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centrewedding receptionlovely hotelbar foodlast weekendstayed here for one nightfollowing morningreception areacooked breakfastfrom start to finishenjoyable staylovely roomboth nightsgalwayreceptionistirelandoutskirts
Reviewed 22 February 2017

I stayed with my fiancee last weekend. It was a Valentine's special with dinner, prosecco and a bottle of wine. I found the room to be large which made for a comfortable stay and had a good sized bathroom. It had all things that we needed - coffee making facilities, iron & ironing board etc. The only thing was the big window was covered up so you could not see outside which was kind of strange.

Part of the deal was dinner which was the best part of the whole stay. My fiancee took great photos. It has happened in the past that when you have pre-paid for the dinner then you don't expect anything much. The opposite was the case. Not only had they a beautifully presented menu but they had another glass of prosecco waiting for us. Starters were well presented and delicious - both the shrimp and the brie dish. My fiancee had pork which was again very tasty and a pretty big portion. The only disappointment was my Sea Bass which I found quite small and inadequate for the size of dish. Dessert was well thought of as a sharing dish and very generous in size. Altogether a very nice evening.

While the restaurant was very welcoming, tastefully decorated and had good lighting, I did not feel the same about the bar area which I found cold, dark and not so comfortable. We switched quickly to the lobby area. We had a pleasant sleep though there was a noise in the room all night. Breakfast was adequate and no complaints were had. Overall a pleasant stay. There are a few things that the hotel need to get right but I would recommend staying here for one night.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2017

The hotel itself was lovely just stayed one night. The room was a good size and very clean. The receptionist was very friendly and polite. We had dinner in the bar, the food was just ok but generally the service in the bar was very poor. This was both when they were busy and quiet. This could possibly be due to the fact the hotel is to be demolished in a few months and being replaced with student accommodation. Such a pity as it is a beautiful building.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Hotel room was ok staff were very slow to serve was at a party the night we stayed was waiting about 15 minutes to get served the bar staff did not know how to pull a pint right only a handful of the staff were friendly I won't be staying again

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Westwood H, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2017

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your recent review. I was disappointed to read that you felt the bar service was poor on the night and the staff were not friendly. This is certainly not reflective of the usual standards here at the Westwood and I will definitely be following up with the team. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed here in February. I booked here as I was working in the university on the saturday and based on its proximity it is one of the closest hotels. This is described as a 4 star hotel however is rather dated. The bathroom had tiles missing from the side of the bath and the shower was rather poor. There was a strange humming sound in the room and with the aircon off all night it was hard to figure out where it was coming from.

I went down to the bar area for food ordered the steak sandwich which was nice. The service itself was poor and had to ask for the menu for desert it was not due to the bar being busy.
Breakfast the following morning had a good choice of cold buffet and pastries and hit breakfast cooked to order.
For a 4 star hotel in felt that it could have been better.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business

Dear Gearoid,

Many thanks for your recent review. I'm sorry to read that you felt we fell short in certain areas of the hotel. We would have many guests that frequent the university on a regular basis and we would always be their hotel of choice when in the area. It is disheartening to read that although you enjoyed the food in the bar the service was not up to standard. I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast the next morning and felt their was a good choice. We will certainly take on board all your comments and strive to improve in the future. I would hope that this visit would not deter you from staying with us when you are in the area again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 12 February 2017

Recent short stay in this hotel. It looks older but it in fact relatively recent and the art deco features are reproduction, but consequently the rooms are large and generously proportioned compared to the usual newer hotels. Comfortable bed, quiet, nice bar with decent local food, good breakfast with hot breakfast menu and cold buffet choices. Staff attentive and charming in hotel and bar/restaurant. A good place to stay if in Galway, walkable to town but takes 30 mins brisk walking or 10 minute taxi.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay. Thank you in particular for your kind words about the staff in our bar & restaurant areas. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to book in the future.

Kind regards ,