New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Brithdir B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I recently visited Cross Foxes in late September and the place looks lovely and it’s in a very nice area of wales, we walked in and it looked nice but smelt a bit odd. We went to the bar area to order a drink to me met with a unhelpful member of staff, she looked like she didn’t want to be there and felt everything she did was an effort, we sat down and felt that the chair cushions could do with a clean as they smelt and had stains on them. We went on to have some food, and although the food was nice, there wasn’t much on the plate, and went to order more drinks to be greeted again by this young lady and her attitude had not changed, although the place is nice this member of staff let us down, the young lad behind the bar was very helpful but we left disappointed of the place. I don’t think I’ll be returning there again

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Lydia S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Had a lovely evening here. Enjoyed a drink in the cozy bar before heading through to the dining area for our dinner. The wine recommended by our waiter was fantastic and he was genuinely helpful and pleasant. Each one of the eight meals was delicious. Beautiful views and décor. Will definitely be back and hopefully to stay next time. Great evening.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Redditch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed at the Cross Foxes on business and arrived more than a little jaded after a long drive. I was immediately impressed. The ambiance is stylish yet warm and welcoming. My room was pure luxury and the attention to detail was amazing, from fresh milk for tea in the room to quick wi-fi , this was a cut above. The restaurant was really very good and the food both beautifully cooked and imaginatively presented. It was also very reasonably priced.
A rare treat.
Staff were friendly and helpful throughout and I look forward to returning. Next time it will be for pleasure. My thanks to all involved.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
      Rooms
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at the Cross Foxes earlier in the month and highly recommend the hotel and restaurant. The room Moel (Cadair Idris Peak) was beautiful, tidy and a very good price. The food in the restaurant was very reasonable and was exactly what we wanted after a long day driving. A great place to stay, eat and travel onto Snowdon!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
East Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

A shockingly abysmal experience at the Cross Foxes earlier in the year prompted me to contact the owners directly as I had had such high hopes which were met with the most disappointing standards of hospitality. I took them up on their offer to give the place another chance and I'm so happy to say I'm glad we did.

6 months on and its like a different place. I'd hoped that previously we'd just been on the receiving end of teething problems and it seems that this was indeed the case. I suspect the team were briefed that we were a previous complaint booking (as indeed I used to brief my own team in the same situation) and a cynic might suppose that may have influenced the experience we received. It was such an all-round excellent stay though that I genuinely believe that our circumstances were immaterial and they've really got it together. The atmosphere, service and food was faultless. The Idris suite is one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in, my only regret was that we hadn't booked a second night. It really is everything I'd hoped it would be all of those times we drove past during the renovation.

My only small gripe was with the menus, where there are repetitions (i.e. a crème brûlée on both the standard menu and the specials, two seemingly similar mackerel starter dishes on the specials etc) Also at both dinner and breakfast there were more than one item that were not available as 'the menu is in the middle of being changed' These really are minor points though as there is plenty of choice. I'm super picky aren't I.

All in all, it really is a gem, perfectly situated, stylish, comfortable and friendly. We can't wait to return.

Oh and faster wifi than I get sitting at home next to the router. Awesome.

Room Tip: Idris - perfect.