We are regular visitors to the Oxford Suites in Spokane, though this was our first stay at the Valley property. We are loyal to the chain because we have always received excellent service, and consider that it offers good value.
This hotel is in a great location, and we scored it highly for welcome and check-in, amenities, and the general state of upkeep. We were also pleased with our room, a family king suite. However, the issues we picked up on fall into two categories:
1. Housekeeping. I can't remember the last time when I stayed in a hotel where the bed wasn't made. Ours was not touched at all. This might have been an oversight...it can happen...except the bathroom still had evidence of the previous guests the next morning (i.e. even after our first night). Glasses were left unwashed in the room, and there were no fresh ones, and our towels were changed when we requested, following the hotel guidelines, that they weren't. Now, it might seem harsh to complain about 'additional' service, but the real point, apart from being wasteful, is about staff not taking note of what the guest asks for. All-in-all, this was one of the worst kept mid-market rooms I have ever stayed in.
2. Downgraded quality. It's clear that this hotel, and maybe the chain, has cut some corners recently. If I were to actually list specific examples, one-by-one they will seem petty (e.g. quality of spare blankets, choice of in-room hot drinks, quality of soaps and shampoo etc.), but the point is that we felt that we had paid the same level of rate as on previous occasions, but received a poorer level of service.
Everyone knows that economic times are tough, but the last thing you want is to show customers where you are carving out savings - we need to be treated as we always have been. Consistency creates loyalty and builds a brand - don't short-change your loyal customers.
The problem for anyone having us as guests is that we are hotel owners, which is why this review is written so formally. Being in the business doesn't make us any fussier; in fact, we are far more forgiving because we understand the issues involved, intimately. But it does mean that we are quite likely to spot and reject what we consider to be unforgivable errors, and one of those is maintaining rates whilst reducing the level of service. Not a good business ethic.
I must add that the front desk staff were excellent, as always, and that the general quality of our stay was good.
It's going to be hard for on-site management to respond completely to this review as one set of complaints is in-house, and the other corporate....so it will be interesting to see whether our points are picked up and replied to here by anyone from higher up the chain. It's not a big company, so that shouldn't be too hard. I am hoping that we will get good response, as we fully intend to revisit the chain in the future, hoping that this was just a one-off poor experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceptional has never been so affordable! Located on the banks of the beautiful Spokane River, the Oxford Suites Spokane Valley is situated no more than a few steps from the Centennial Trail, Spokane Valley Mall, great restaurants and just a short drive from the Mirabeau Point Park, regional wineries and the Plantes Ferry Soccer Fields. Complimentary amenities include Full Hot Breakfast Buffet, Evening Reception, High Speed Wi-Fi, Parking, Indoor Pool, Spa, Sauna, Steam Room & Fitness Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, lastminute.com.au, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Oxford Suites Spokane Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxford Suites Spokane Valley Hotel Spokane Valley
- Oxford Hotel Spokane Valley