“Not too bad”

Mona - Museum of Old and New Art
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We found our selves not spending very much time here at all. People told us it was a must see, it wasn’t bad but not exactly my style.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"an open mind"
"world class"

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I know that everyone going to Hobart is advised to visit Mona, but honestly that’s nothing I have enjoyed. Not my kind of art, was too dark and quirky :( the view from the Café was magnificent though. This is where my stars on the rating come from.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

OK, so I am not exactly an art buff; galleries & museums etc are normally not on my travel schedule. But I got told by so many people that if you visit Hobart, you can't leave without seeing MONA. Unfortunately, I beg to differ. I kind of really didn't get a lot of the exhibits and most of it was too abstract for me to understand, although the "Tattooed Human Skin" by Tim was very impressive.
However, if art is your thing and you have an appreciation different art forms (old, new, quirky, abstract, weird etc), you would have an awesome time here.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Whole place has a very gloomy feel to it. Art based on really strong, dark topics, if you even consider it art (many of the others who rated this place 1 or two star have voiced my opinion of why it isn't art and I will not elaborate on further). Cafe has a very interesting concept, kind of a futuristic/ sci-fi design like idea, but the food was overly pricey and seriously not worth what you pay for (1 small steak with 1 or two stalk of asparagus, maybe 2 slices of cucumber and half a cherry tomato for the price of 40~).

On the other hand the pharaohs exhibition was interesting. And the ferry thru and flow was nice, but I would give this a miss if you are more interested with mainstream art /Classical fine arts and not the "weirdly disturbing" art that are displayed. Was a little annoyed that I was told that my bag is needed to be stored away when honestly it is smaller then many other ladies and their handbag. A bit of a hassle for me to carry my valuables along without any form of carrier to it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I can certainly see why this museum has attracted so much attention and discussion. It’s very unique and unconventional but I loved this about it. The O Device provides information about what you’re looking at which was a great way to enhance the experience. Even if you’re not a massive fan of art, the ferry trip over and views from atop Mona are worth it!