All reviews first floor the main road main bedroom heat pump jubilee park outdoor swimming pool nelson cbd light sleeper family unit abel tasman park comfortable bed new zealand motel nz field internet sports
Reviewed 6 August 2017

The motel was clean and pleasant but I specifically chose it because reviews said traffic
noise wasn't a problem. All I can say is don't accept room 4. It was freezing cold, as it has three outside walls and on the second floor with nothing underneath is except a covered parking area. The heat pump couldn't cope with the cold and I had to resort to turning the hob on to heat the room. The bathroom floor was so cold I was unable to stand on it and the bathroom heater didn't work, also the windows were only single glazed. Which brings me to the traffic noise... between about 11 pm and precisely 5 am it was very quiet but the first logging truck thunders past at precisely 5 am and from then on it was very noisy. The lady on reception when I checked in apologised that she couldn't upgrade me (before I had been to the room), on the second night when I went to check out I commented how cold it was and the man on reception that night just said that it was cold weather- no interest in improving my stay. This motel is priced higher than average and I didn't feel it was worth the extra money. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable but it was lacking any homely touches and housekeeping was minimal. The bed wasn't properly made, just pulled up and coffee, sugar and cookie not replenished.

Room Tip: Not room 4!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Lala G
parksidemotel, Manager at Parkside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

I, sorry this reviewer did not find the room to her satisfaction. The room she reserved was our entry level option and priced accordingly. The weekend of the stay was the coldest we have experienced this year. The first we were advised of any disappointment was at 7pm on the night before she departed at which point an offer was made to provide additional heating for the room. This was declined. We accept the bathroom heater had failed and this was repaired by an electrician immediately the next morning. The heat pump was checked and found to be working as is was supposed to be however the settings on the remote had been had been altered which reduced the heating capacity of the unit. The room is fitted with hush glass to reduce traffic noise which has a similar thermal capacity to double glazing

Reviewed 20 May 2017

We decided to stay here as a fixed base as we explored the local bike trail network. Originally we had planned to eat dinner in Nelson, but were pleasantly surprised to find a full range of excellent restaurants only a few hundred meters from the motel.

Roomy and quiet rooms

Helpful owners , who let us park our bikes in the garage at night

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
parksidemotel, Manager at Parkside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Thank you for your positive review. We agree that Richmond, although close to Nelson with its vibrant restaurants and nightlife and Abel Tasman with its outdoor activity, is a great place to stay in and caters well for most travelers. For cyclists the other advantage is that we are located on a fork in the cycle trail and from here you can travel in easy sections south to Nelson, north to Spooners and west to Motueka and ultimately Kaiteriteri

Reviewed 30 April 2017

The rooms are spartan, clean, functional, adequate. Small kitchenette for longer stays. Bed was reasonably comfortable but not great. There's a pool outside, but we did not use it. Decor is nonexistent. I live permanently in New Zealand and this is a typical, functional motel. It's on the main street but traffic noise isn't a problem. It's a suite, but guests using the sofa bed have to access the bathroom by walking through the main bedroom. Not the best thought-out floor plan. Covered parking underneath the 2nd story rooms. Internet is a bit slow, but it's free and works. Good access to the Coastal Highway that heads toward the Abel Tasman Park and Takaka and Golden Bay. Richmond is a nice little town, but it's basically the local retail area, not really a tourist stop.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike W
parksidemotel, Owner at Parkside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Thank you for your review. The room you stayed in was a one bedroom Executive spa bath unit and designed primarily single or double occupancy not a couple with 2 teenagers. The bed in the bedroom is a near new premium model. The Sofa Bed is in the living area. We provide free internet which depending on external internet traffic and an individual device can achieve speeds in excess of 30mbs through our Guest WiFi . Richmond is a separate town on the boundary of Nelson City from which vineyards, crafts and the Great Taste cycle trail are easily accessed. From Richmond Nelson City , Able Tasman and Nelson Lakes within easy driving distances.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

This was our second stay at Parkside Motel. We chose to stay here again because the units are spacious and very clean(one and two bedroom units) Although it is a busy street the units front onto Jubilee Park. The complex is small with friendly and helpful staff. The pool is large and very relaxing area with pool towels provided. It is an easy drive to Nelson CBD and central to all that the Tasman area offers.

Room Tip: Have stayed in Units 7&8, Both upstairs overlooking pool
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank janetw1862016
Reviewed 29 March 2017

Just spent 3 nights at the Parkside Motel while on a business trip and I can't fault the place. Great facilities and the most comfortable bed I've slept in whilst away from home. Great location, clean and tidy rooms, great pool and a good breakfast....The dog enjoyed it too.

Highly recommended and we'll definitely be back when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business