“A truly amazing day”

Maerim Elephant Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Mae Rim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Maerim Elephant Sanctuary - "Where elephants are loved and respected."
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This ended up being one of my favourite days in Thailand ! The people here care about the elephants and have really made a good home for them here. The day experience was amazing, swimming with the elephants and feeding them.

busabong, Owner at Maerim Elephant Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

So pleased to hear that your day at our sanctuary was one your favourite days in Thailand. We also really appreciate your comment about the elephants' home, we have tried to create the best home possible for them so that means a lot.
Thanks again

in 5 reviews
"roam freely"
"cooking class"

Reviewed 5 April 2018

You must go, it was so amazing ! And the staff are the nicest People I have Met in Thailand. I took the 2-days trip, and i got so much more for the money. And it was only my friend and I hwo was sleeping there, and it was so fun. You have to do that! If you do that you also can spend as much time at you want with the elefant. I will say 2 data wasn’t enough, i will come back.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

We are all so pleased to hear that your experience on the sanctuary was amazing! We agree that the 2 day tour really does allow the most amount of time with the elephants possible, and its great to hear you say that 2 days wasn't enough, if that's the case you will have to come back :). Thank you so much for leaving such an amazing review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I was disappointed with my full day visit to Maerim elephant sanctuary and even more so their response when I expressed my disappointment afterwards.

At booking the local agent contacted the sanctuary and was told that there would be a maximum of 16 people in the group. With such good reviews I had high hopes for my visit.

On the day there turned out to be 26 people in the group and just 3 elephants (one of whom was a baby). As you can imagine, with a ratio of 8+ people per elephant, it was difficult to get close to or interact with the elephants.

Furthermore, with such large numbers of people wanting to touch, feed and take photos with the elephants this is surely overwhelming for them. The elephants had 3 groups of tourists visiting them that day and as soon as our group had finished bathing with them, they were met by the next large group of tourists for the same cycle of petting/feeding/playing/bathing. These elephants are definitely still working.

I left feeling that I had been mis-sold this trip. The next day I fed back to the the tour agent I had booked through as she had asked me to do so. She was shocked by my experience and contacted the sanctuary. She was told that a partial refund wasn't possible as I had completed the visit and I was told that they commonly have 25/26 people in a group and that the boss would not do anything about my complaint.

This experience and response gives the impression that the sanctuary is prioritising profit over elephant welfare and the satisfaction of their visitors.

1  Thank katie-lou149
busabong, Owner at Maerim Elephant Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience. We want to reply to a few of your concerns. As of a few weeks ago we had 5 elephants. Our 50 year old Heidi (who endured a lifetime of abuse at a logging camp) has unfortunately recently passed away. Also during your visit we had to keep our baby and his mother separated as the baby is being trained to stop breast feeding gradually. Since the baby is usually our guests favorite, we kept him with the 2 other females during the day before he returned to his mother at night.

We are sorry there were only 3 elephants during your visit due to unforeseen circumstances, but we now are back to our normal roster of 5 as we have as of today rescued another from a riding camp.

In regards to your concern about our elephants overworking. In our tours we simply provide them food, exercise and bathing each time. Elephants need to eat 16 hours every day and they also need exercise. We try our best to keep them healthy and happy.

Again we sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your visit and we welcome all input from our guests. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

It was amazing to spend time with the elephants, feeding them, playing with them in the mud and the river and walking with them, really impressive. There was no hurry, so we could enjoy in a very relaxing and special environment.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the sanctuary and we are so pleased to hear that it was the best day of your holidays. Thank you so much for leaving a review it really means a lot to us.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018

THIS WAS THE BEST DAY OF MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE. these elephants are clearly loved so much. They are all saved from being harmed by human beings whether it be from abuse from riding them or the circus. These elephants are sooooo happy now because of the people at Maerim. They have gained the trust and brought back the happiness in the elephants. Do the full day and you will not regret it. You feel the elephants while they surround you wanting more and more food! You literally hangout with them ALLL day. You bathe them in mud and then swim with them to get it off. There's so much more but i don't want to ruin how amazing it is. GO HERE PLEASE!!!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our sanctuary that much, it really means a lot to us to hear such a lovely review. We would also like to thank you for leaving a recommendation as kind as yours is. Thank you for saying that you feel the elephants are happy, their happiness is the most important thing to us on the sanctuary and we strive to keep it at the highest level constantly.