“Great for ferry and dog friendly”

BEST WESTERN Danby Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killinick
Cork, Ireland
“Great for ferry and dog friendly”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at Danby Lodge before catching the ferry at Rosslare. The hotel is only about 10 minutes away from the ferry terminal and is easy to find. It also has a great section of cottage rooms around a green area that are dog friendly. The rooms are reasonably priced, well equipped, clean, comfortable and quiet. The dog friendly rooms are accessed without having to go through the hotel itself which is nice. The lady that was in charge when we arrived was so nice and very helpfull. We would definitely stay there again next time we are travelling on the ferry.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I booked this hotel on the Best Western website, and to be perfectly honest thought I'd booked a different one (one 5 miles away that was a Best Western last year!), but we were happy when we saw the hotel and the room. Only about 5 miles from the port of Rosslare. Room and bathroom were clean and well presented, bathroom well heated, which was nice. Bed was comfy, there were plenty of pillows.

We ordered food in the bar...this was nice, even though my husband ordered me a toasted sandwich on brown bread and it came on white bread which had not been toasted! it was at the end of service though (nearly 9pm) so I didn't make a fuss. Food was reasonably priced.

The wifi was not working, which wasn't a huge inconvenience, and since it was New Year's Day, it was understandable that it couldn't be fixed that day. The television was small and despite "Satellite TV" being listed as one of the amenities, there were only the Irish terrestrial channels and the signals were very dodgy for all of them, making them unwatchable a lot of the time.

The real problem started just after 3am when I woke up to what sounded like heavy furniture being moved around above us (husband slept through this, but very few people can sleep that heavily). This went on for some time and was joined by the noise of what sounded like a truck being unloaded, I could hear glass bottles rattling for nearly an hour, along with what sounded like a truck idling. This went on for about an hour, by which stage I was so wide awake that I was unable to go back to sleep at all.

I was so disappointed, we booked into the hotel as we were on an early ferry the next morning. I drove for 3 hours to get there in order to avoid having to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning. I really should have saved my money as I ended up being awake earlier than I would have needed to, had I just done the 3 hour drive the next morning!!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 16 and it was the noisiest hotel stay I've ever had
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We were delighted to find a nice hotel that would cater for us while we were travelling with a dog. We had an early ferry crossing the next day and the hotel was only about 10 mins away on the main route to the ferry. The room was very comfortable, lovely and warm with comfortable beds and pillows. We found nothing to complain about. Breakfast was pretty good although we were in a bit of rush. This is ideal for those travelling with pets and need a place to stay near the ferry.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
La Rochelle, France
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We booked this hotel while the ferry was pulling into Rosslare. It provided a great welcome to Ireland. They were happy to have us stay, even though our car had beaten the reservation to the hotel. All the staff we met had grown up locally and knew the area well.

Finding the hotel was easy. Exit the Rosslare ferry, continue down the road, straight through any roundabouts, and you'll see it on your right.

Our room was very neat and tidy. In the morning we did discover the cause of a musty smell in the wardrobe was some mould, which we let the front desk know about.

Baby bed was provided without any dramas.

Fan in the tiled bathroom - with bath - was a bit noisy. Nice and warm with the giant radiator in the room. Door locks were slightly funny, requiring multiple twists of the key to get open.

This hotel also goes by the name of the Best Western Rosslare, although from the reviews there's another place in Rosslare by this name that isn't so good. All the locals know it as Danby Lodge.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My daughter and her fiance gave myself and my wife a gift of a two night stay.We arrived on friday evening to a very warm welcome,great start.We then found my daughter and her fiance were delayed .Panic my daughter and her fiance were going to be to late for last orders for dinner.Not to worry a phone call from them to hotel ,the hotel take dinner order over the phone problem solved.Lovely meal .Great staff.Great location.We all had a great time and will be going back again.

Room Tip: Garden room very private.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killinick
6.3 km away
3.8 km away
Riverbank House Hotel
Riverbank House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Wexford

Been to BEST WESTERN Danby Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!