I've just spent nearly a week at Gayana, I was also here at the time last year. It was like coming home to the best family ever. From arriving at the office at Jesselton Wharf to arriving at the resort the staff all remembered me and greater me with hugs. As a returning guest I was upgraded to the ocean villa. What's not to like....being able to swim off your own deck. Such luxury. I read a recent comment from someone saying how bad the water was. If you come at this time of the year you take the risk with it being monsoon. I was obviously lucky because I snorkelled every day for hours in the lagoon and it was so clear. Now for the food, it was amazing at both restaurants. At Alu Alu which is the seafood restaurant, I found the staff were happy to explain anything I didn't understand. But really, what's not to understand......I picked my crayfish from the tank and they cooked it. I actually had it half one way with garlic and the other half with buttermilk. The oysters were also devine. Macac restaurant has delicious Asian dishes including very local delicacies which I found beautiful.
I had a cooking lesson one afternoon with the chef and learned to cook Hinava (fish ceviche) and Malaysian beef rendang which was the chefs mothers recipe. I had that for dinner that night and was impressed by how well I did!
Overall I had the most beautiful holiday at Gayana. The staff are just amazing and I can't wait to come back. I'm currently staying at the sister resort and will review at the end of this stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gayana Eco Resort rests serenely at the edges of Gaya Island off the coast of Borneo. 52 over water villas designed to enhance the soothing sounds of the surf, while capturing the enduring vistas of Mt. Kinabalu on the distant horizon. At its heart is about protecting and re-generating our precious Marine Ecology, and the only property to feature its own Marine Ecology Research Centre propagating Giant Clams and restoring damaged coral reefs. Striking the perfect balance of forward thinking ecology and indulgent luxury which pampers both the body and the enlightened soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Preferred Hotels, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Gayana Marine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gayana Eco Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Gayana Resort
- Gayana Marine Resort Pulau Gaya, Malaysia