Manukan Island Resort
USD 315
USD 219
USD 330
USD 288
The Crown Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
USD 29
USD 24
Asiana Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
USD 32
USD 22
USD 315
USD 267
  • Breakfast included
Gaya Island Resort(Pulau Gaya)
USD 463
  • Pool
Promenade Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
USD 90
USD 78
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 93/night.

USD 85
USD 81
  • Pool
TH Hotel Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
USD 60
USD 47
Priceline
All reviewsday trippershillside villahill sideprivate beachsunset walksmall pathbeach towelsrestaurant staffboat transferabsolute paradisehotel guestsmalaysian disheshuge bathroomour entire staysatellite tvliving roommarine park
Reviewed 14 December 2017

We stayed in a hillside villa. The villa was lovely with two balconies with amazing sea views and access to the private beach. It had all the amenities we needed. The staff are extremely helpful and polite and Ben made sure we had a great experience. The food in the restaurant was good and it has a nice atmosphere in the evening when the day trippers have headed back to KK.. There is also a house band happy to attempt any request you have.. Would definitely recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: The hillside villas are located away from the walkway to the main beach so are quiet all day even when the day trippers are there
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
SuteraSanctuaryLodge, General Manager at Manukan Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your satisfaction during your recent stay.

When you have time to spare; do check out our Facebook and Instagram for updates and promotions that might be of interest to you. My team and I certainly look forward to the pleasant opportunity of accommodating you again at our resort in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

We arrived early evening and were met by Ben. All seemed good. Ben is very pleasant and welcoming as were his reception staff. We went to our room, the ground floor of a villa towards the main beach and it all appeared very nice indeed. Large twin with lounge area and huge bathroom.

Then the problems. Went for a shower and despite some instructions on how the tricky hot water system works it was just a fraction above cold. Went to the restaurant and tried a couple of cocktails. They were not nice. Not made by a cocktail waiter, more like those nasty cocktail mixes you can buy. Very artificial and the colours were almost fluorescent in their artificialness. The menu is very limited and for such a small menu they don't have all of it. They didn't have the salmon, on another occasion they said they'd check if they had chicken, they didn't have the only desert on the menu and another no Cola Light. Who does the stock taking? BTW, when they said they had no Cola Light I know they had lots in the shop as I'd bought some that day. Just couldn't be bothered going to get it. Food is not of a high standard, but burgers seemed a safe option. Some of the staff in the restaurant are a bit surly and not friendly and welcoming. Then the forced entertainment. A surprisingly good three piece playing hits and requests, but they really don't look like they want to be there and almost insist you come up with requests, when you just want to eat in peace. Again, all a bit tacky and it ain't no Hawaii.
Then to sleep? We had been warned about emergency lighting when the generators switch at midnight and 6am, but didn't expect it to be quite so bright. So deep into my sleep I am woken at both these times by bright lights coming on in the room. Not a good nights sleep either night!
However in the morning the crowds of day trippers start arriving all of whom walk right past our "villa". Several Chinese tourists stopped to take photos of us on our terrace, bizarre. The crowds are unbelievable and drag the resort down to a busy, tacky, grubby cheap package holiday resort. No way a luxury resort.
I think it is working with these massive crowds of Chinese holiday makers that affects the staff at the restaurant so badly that they've really had enough by the evening dinner service.
There is a pool area for guests, but it looks like a nasty motel type pool and not inviting at all, so it isn't used. There is a private beach area, which is OK, but you still get loads of boats dropping the day trippers off at the pier in front of it. There is an expensive drinks menu on this private beach, but nobody actually comes by to serve you.
The rooms on the hill side are much better and away from the crowds. You don't have them walking past you and you have direct access to the private beach.
So, in summary, nice welcome and reception staff. Nice room, other than hot water and flood lights twice during the night. But they clearly make all their money from the hundreds, if not thousands of day tripper, who make it feel like a nasty busy tourist resort. They need to decide what they are. A busy beach theme park or a resort hotel. The two do not mix.

Room Tip: Stay on hillside, if you can't get another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
SuteraSanctuaryLodge, General Manager at Manukan Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to express the issues that you have encountered while staying with us. We are delighted to know that the start of your trip was a welcoming one. It is our utmost priority to provide an excellent stay for our guests.

Unfortunately, I am saddened that your stay with us was dissatisfactory. I agree it would be very disappointing when ordering food from the menu given, only to find out that the ingredient is not available as well as receiving poor quality of cocktail. I will definitely look into this matter. We are currently looking into expanding our menu selections in the near future.

We do recognize that our guests expect a quiet and relaxing ambience during their stay on the island and this is curtailed due to the day-trippers. However, the island is opened to the public as it is governed by Sabah Parks and is regrettably beyond our control. Nevertheless, we do provide the private beach area in front of the Hillside Villas exclusively for our guests.

Although an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience, I do extend it with all sincerity. Nevertheless, please know that we are trying to upgrade our services and products constantly to ensure our guests experience a comfortable stay. I hope you would give us a second chance to prove our high standard of hospitality in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We booked a hillside villa and the view is amazing! It’s nearer to the resorts private beach and far from the public beach which has a lot of tourists during daytime. The hillside villa is a cozy and clean and tidy bungalow. The only thing I wouldn’t like much in the island I think is the sunset point, which we walked for approx. 1/2 hour but just couldn’t see the sunset as the sun was covered by the cloud! And I have forgotten to bring the torch light so we have to walk in the dark in the forest trail! Other than that everything is so perfect and terrific! I give it a five star!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Wonderful refitted rooms, completed in January 2017. Private beach and pool for residents. Delicious food. The resort staff cannot do enough to ensure you enjoy your stay. Day trips snorkeling and scuba diving available.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
SuteraSanctuaryLodge, General Manager at Manukan Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

This was a great place to be. Everything was just perfect. The hospitality of the staff is great. They really want you to have a good time. At the restaurant you could also ask for things beside the menu and the cook would look what was possible. The guests of the resort have their own private beach and swinmingpool. You can use the towels of the resort so not necessary to bring your own.
The resort is not too large and that is exactly what gives it a charm. We stayed 4 nights and everybody knew us.
The room was perfect also. Looking out at the beach and with a large bathroom. At daytime the island has a lot of day visitors (depending on the day and season how many) but after 5 pm the island is deserted except for the residents of the resort.
We did also the jungle track to the sunset point and that was allright and took aprox 50 minutes.
And there are possibilities to snorkel and dive.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
SuteraSanctuaryLodge, General Manager at Manukan Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017