All reviews meal plan dive shop west end dive staff apple tv meal package full kitchen personalized service guest services romance package couples massage private island grocery store dive sites main island spent a week the entire staff
Reviewed 30 July 2018

The Caribbean is blessed with many beautiful resort destinations, and for those with unlimited budgets you can certainly find a resort offering more at double or triple the price. The cost of this resort ranges from a very affordable rate at the “dive suites” to the more upscale accommodations on the small cay across the canal in 1-2 bedroom options detailed on their website, but I am ranking this as midrange in pricing. We stayed at one of the 2 br bungalows and enjoyed great privacy and open water views. The bungalow was simple, charming and very comfortable.

We did two dives daily, We’ve had the privilege of diving with some outastanding dive operators on Little Cayman and Saba - the dive operation here was not at that level with respect to dive master knowledge of local biology and individualized attention, but still very good overall. Dive sites were generally a 6-12 minute boat ride, and we always returned to port for dive interval instead of bobbing in the boat between tanks which was a huge plus for me. The dive sites were significantly better than Grand Cayman and Turks, a hair better than Little Cayman - a notch below Saba.

We enjoyed our meals at the resort restaurant. All of the staff we encountered, from housekeepers, waiters, office staff, and even the guys running the pontoon boat ferry from the cay to the office, were pleasant and cheerful without exception. The managing partner of the owner group, Gary Lewis, goes on the first dive every day and lives on site, and I am sure his level of involvement plays a big role in the positive service aspects of the resort.

Negatives? I could whine about some minor deficiencies but do not feel they’re worth mentioning. Skip the meal plan since it doesn’t offer a significant savings compared to individual meal cost.. If you don’t enjoy bone fishing or diving this resort may not be for you. There is not really any beach, and activities beyond diving and fishing are limited. Bugs do live here - but various repellents kept the “bite count” tolerable.

My top endorsement: we’re already planning our return trip!

Room Tip: One br bungalows fine for a couple - but only 2 units so book well in advance
Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Multiple times at Barefoot always excellent staff!!!
Divemaster Daniel,Thank You for ALL the help with all of my dives from weights to blowing underwater rimgs
Divemaster Ron, Thank You for the continued help and advice on my dives and the SEAHORSE!!!!
Ricardo and Willy the BEST boat captains with a side of humor!!!
Seriously this place has the most relaxed type atmosphere but runs so efficiently, they wont waste your time!!!!
Expect WOW!!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank JuliaD1632
Eliza J, Marketing at Barefoot Cay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Thank you for the review, Julie! We are glad you've enjoyed your experience diving with us enough to keep coming back and can't wait for your next adventure at Barefoot Divers! Don't stay away too long...we have a lot more diving to do!

Reviewed 21 July 2018

We spent seven days diving in this amazing island and this specific hotel. A real Caribbean Boutique Hotel with a nice restaurant. The dive operation and its staff is fully friendly and full comitment with clients. Do not forget diving or snorkeliing at the Palapa

Room Tip: Paradise for divers and family
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review, and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your week at Barefoot Cay! Our dive instructors are the best and make sure every trip is a memorable one. We are so glad you liked the food and accommodations and did some underwater exploring around the palapa. Next time you are planning a dive trip, we hope you will think of us!

Reviewed 21 July 2018

This is a restaurant review rather than a hotel or resort review, but is posted here because the restaurant is part of the resort.

A beachside resort on a tropical island at night has a particularly appealing ambience. Somehow the proximity to the ocean always promises romance, adventure and unique experiences. Throw into that mix a good restaurant and the combination is tough to beat. Noni does just that.

Noni is the restaurant at Barefoot Cay newly open to the public after a life of offering exclusive service to resort guests. Lucky be the public.

I want to insert a disclaimer here; my wife and I have been diving at Barefoot Cay for years, and over that time have become friends with the general manager of the resort. So I openly admit to some bias. But I believe my reporting here is accurate in spite of that potential.

You arrive at resort, softly illuminated with rippling reflections off the lapping water, to be quickly ferried on a small boat across a quaint channel separating the picturesque cay from the main island. The restaurant is poolside, open air, but covered.

The small setting allows for intimate service, and a welcome from Chef David and his staff. The menu is surprisingly diverse, offering what one would expect from an island adventure. The menu is available online so I will not devote more time to the wide variety from which to choose, but I encourage you to peruse the menu. To give you a taste, tonight we shared a delicious hummus appetizer with fresh pita, a tabbouleh salad, roasted tomato and red pepper soup, and shrimp carpaccio. For mains we had a pesto frutti de mare, and shrimp pesto. Fresh ingredients and a light touch round this out to make a fantastic meal. But oh, we are not done. The chocolate fondant was to die for and the island caramel flan was the perfect finish.

If you find yourself on Roatan, wondering where to eat, wonder no more.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, Jeff. We have worked hard to create an experience when dining at Noni that fits seamlessly with a relaxed island vacation. Chef David and the rest of the staff will be pleased to hear that you experienced just that and enjoyed the food, ambiance, and service. We look forward to you dining at Noni again the next time you stay at Barefoot Cay!

Reviewed 13 July 2018

My husband, myself, and our 16 year-old son just spent a week at Barefoot. It was perfect. Starting with contact with Stephanie and Josh prior to arriving. Stephanie was always quick to answer an Email, Josh called us in the states to check on our flight information to make sure we would be picked up at the airport. He was also helpful setting up anything we needed or getting us where we needed to go. Levi met our flight, gave us a tour of Barefoot, made sure we had a welcome drink. He was very nice and informative. Ms. Liliana in the dive shop greeted me by name the first time I walked up to dive shop. Having never met me or my family I was impressed and felt very welcome. We had some of our own dive gear and rented some. The gear was quality and in good shape. The diving - amazing! So many dive spots within minutes of Barefoot. The dive crew from Liliana doing the scheduling, to the dive masters, and boat captains were absolutely top notch. Felt safe when diving and let our son go out a few times without us. Dive masters buddied-up with him and he had great experiences. Kudos especially to dive masters Danny and Steiner as well as boat captains Robert and Ricardo - they do a great job! The food was very good, but the menu could be a bit more diverse. We ate there nearly every day for two meals a day. We did go downtown a couple of times, found Barefoot meals to be as good or better than anywhere else. Service was good but a bit slow - suspect that was by design as we were all there to just relax. Pool was beautiful and clean. Villa was perfect for us and certainly could have accomodated several more people comfortably. Didn't meet anyone from Barefoot that wasn't welcoming and motivated to provide service. Barefoot is rather quiet and somewhat isolated but that is exactly what we were looking for - quiet downtime to spend together . Thank you all at Barefoot if you see this review. B

Stayed: July 2018

Thank you for the review, Barbara, and we are glad you were able to have a quiet and relaxing family vacation! One of the many perks of being a boutique resort is getting the chance to really get to know the guests and provide a more unique experience that fits your wants and needs. Our dive team had a great time exploring the sites with your family! Thank you for your patience with the service at our restaurant, and we are pleased to hear you were satisfied with the accommodations, pool, food, and staff. We hope you will think of us the next time you are in need of a little R&R, diving adventure, and quality time with family!