1,021 results
All reviewsfishstar resortwest endporkthree starguinea pigswhite faced monkeysfriendly monkeyshenry morganmain beachbuffet stylecoral reefnight lifewhole weekevery mealsoupsmarine life
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We enjoyed a great 10 days at Fantasy Island. The food, drinks, diving and beach were great. They are working on upgrading the facility so it will only get better. We felt safe and secure the whole time. No issues. Keep up the good work Ivan and staff! Your hard work is appreciated.

This is one of the ulitmate diving locations. Getting to dive at Mary's Place and the Cemetary Wall was an experience not to be forgotten.

Room Tip: The rooms have ocean view so it's hard to pick.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edwardlogsdon
Reviewed 22 May 2018

I was really unsure what to expect coming to Fantasy Islands as you can see the reviews really differ in opinion. I do not want to discredit the resort in anyway as it really depends on each persons taste and needs. We have traveled extensively to Europe and around the Caribbean. We have stayed in resorts from 3 start to 5 star...from VRBO to all-inclusive. Here is my thoughts on our stay.

First the diving is wonderful! Hat's off to the crew at the dive center. Our dive master Takeshi....wow...thank you Takeshi, he took so much time to teach us to see the little things there...I was amazed! He made the diving so enjoyable...and our Captain JT...he is a master behind the helm! Both so kind, during your hour wait time, we learned so much about their culture and their lives, which make visiting another country special. Chris and Kati...great at getting everything set up for us! Thank you Chris for the Nitrox certification!! The dive center is definitely my number #1 reason for a return.

Rooms...we had requested a remodeled room. I'm pretty sure we did not receive one. We were in room #306, it was clean but needed some TLC, bathroom was small and one of my big complaints was NO warm water. I know we are in a warm climate but we of course had AC going so it was not comfy taken a shower. Housekeeping did a very nice job and that was so appreciated.
We were to have Wi-Fi in our room, but it took until the middle of the week for that to work.

Beach...fabulous really wonderful location! The young man that would be out there for almost 10 hours cleaning up the weeds. Some days there was none and some days there were tons...but he did everything to hurry and make sure areas were open and clean for the guests! If anyone deserved big tips it was that hard working young man!

There was only one bar in the lobby that was open, the young gal there was very kind and tried hard to remember what everyone was drinking.

Front desk. Check in was fine and check out was good as well. On the most part they answered questions if/when we ever had them.

Food - this was probably my biggest disappointment. I am NOT a picky eater and my tastes are very simple. But every night it was basically the same thing and very little choices. I'm sorry but I was just not impressed at all with the food....for a foodie person like me, that was disappointing.
However the waiters/waitresses....we ALL very kind and insured you always had something to drink and took the time to have small conversations, which was nice.

Overall the resort does need TLC and updating, but it is a older beachside resort and their location on the water was beautiful. One major thing they really need to do something about. When you walk out the doors of the lobby towards the gift shop or down the boardwalk along the rooms, for about 50 feet the smell of sewage is over powering....at times the cleaning women would spray something to get rid of the smell and that was SO OVERPOWERING...that I would get headaches.

Again, everyones tastes are different, what I can't deal with someone else may say is no big deal. I can say the people on the most part are kind and helping there at the resort! Oh shout out to Joel who drove us on a couple day trips we wanted to take, another young man that took the time to point out things and insure we were happy with everything. The dive center again was our highlight of new friends and adventure. The things that I would like to see change to return is more variety / change in the food, larger bathrooms with at least "warm" water and the smell fixed in the front area.

Other than that I believe this resort must of been quite extravagant in it's day...and still has great potential to be great again with a little TLC.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 814margo
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Fantasy Island is such a beautiful place to spend a vacation. I spent a week there and I loved every minute of my stay. The diving and snorkeling was so amazing. The water was warm and clear to see so much marine life. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The resort is all inclusive, so drinks and food is not another bill you have to worry about while on vacation. The wildlife is beautiful to see. Monkeys roaming the grounds, chickens and roosters, iguanna's, peacocks, and many other animals to see. I truly had a great time and I will definitely stay again.

Stayed: May 2018
3  Thank caisa123
Fantasy I, Responsable relations clients at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Good morning,

Thanks for coming a day enjoy one week with us here in Fantasy Island Resort.

It's true we are so lucky to have the private beach we have and all this diversification of animals on our site.

We are going, do you have a dream week here and are waiting for you very soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We were anchored near Fantasy Island and came in to use the dive shop and do the wreck dive off the beach. We were a bit put off by the security guards on the beach with shotguns...the island is for the exclusive use of hotel patrons and those willing to buy a $50 day pass. The dive was fun with a cool wreck to explore, but this is not a place at which we would want to spend a lot of time.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Fantasy I, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Good morning,

We are glad to know you liked the dive center.

However, it s not very objective to write a review about the Resort s Tripadvisor if you werent guest of the Resort. Coming with a day pass means you dont get any access to any room, and you are able to stay till 5 pm in the Resort, so you are seeing any night s entertainment.

Our security team make feel all our guests well and very confident even if the place of Roatan is very safe anyway.

Thanks for coming and discover our dive center and i invite you with pleasure to come next time a week and discover our infrastructure.

Cordialy,

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Please note; I wouldn't recommend this resort to people that have mobility issues. There are stairs to get in or out of the resort, store, and the restaurant is on the 2nd floor.

We booked our all inclusive trip to Fantasy Island Beach Resort 4 days before departure. We paid $995 per person based on double occupancy. We flew via Sunwing airlines, which offers sparkling wine when you level off to welcome you aboard. They offer free coffee, tea, water, juice, or pop & have alcohol and food available for purchase. You can only use credit card to buy those items onboard.

We arrived at the Roatan International Airport, disembarked via portable stairs(as this airport does not have a jetway), then went inside for Customs. Be advised that citizens take priority over tourists, and their separate line will move faster for them.

After customs and passport control scanning our palms and checking our paperwork, we got our bags and then took them thru the xray. Finally, we went out to the main area when there are drinks and food available for purchase.

We easily met our Sunwing rep in this area. We gave our checked bags to another rep who takes them to a truck. Only you and your carry on go on the bus to the resort. This is because their busses are so small, and nobody had any issues with their bags from this procedure.

We arrived to the resort after 30 minutes, and check in was well organized and a welcome drink is offered. You receive 2 cards for beach towels, 1 remote for the TV, and 1 remote for the AC. All of these need to be handed in at check out time. Our room wasn't ready(as we arrived around 12 noon), but that is no problem. We used the public bathrooms to change into our bathing suits, and hit the beach(which is right there).

The majority of guests we super friendly, and we met a lot of new friends that week.

We love to snorkel, and there is great snorkeling right off of the gazebo. Under the gazebo is filled with different colourful fish, and if you swim to the left, just follow the reef and see lots of sea life. If you are a little more adventurous, swim away from the gazebo toward the blue buoys. It gets shallow and you can follow the reef for quite a ways. There are beautiful coral, plants, and many different forms of sea life. During our week, we saw; barracuda, may colourful fish, an octopus, a school of reef squid, puffer fish, lobsters, and lots of colourful and ugly fish. lol

In the main bay, looking from the resort towards the Caribbean Sea, on the right side there is a row boat that has been sunk to create and artificial reef. Further out, there is a plane and a shipwreck for the divers.

We were in room 224 which was in the main building of the hotel on the 2nd floor. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, and the early sunrise. When were were there, the sun rises around 430am, and sets around 630pm. They are on Central Standard Time zone. The room had 1 large king size bed, a safe, fridge, and bathroom with huge shower. It was cleaned and made up daily, unless you request otherwise.

They have a small boutique shop on site with souvenirs, shirts, sunglasses, sunscreen, and snorkeling stuff. They also have some snack food for sale. They are closed Wednesday's.

We did 1 tour, which was call the island tour. We booked it thru our Sunwing rep(Omar) for $75 USD. We left at 9am, and returned just after 4pm. It covered a lot of stuff including; visit to butteryfly/monkey/parrot/tucan farm, rum cake factory, West End shopping area(30 mins free time), a chocolate factory, a stop at a grocery store iguana farm, Big French Key with lunch and a drink & free time. We then took a boat back to the resort. Well worth the $$ in my opinion.

The buffet restaurant is open(on the 2nd floor) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is a snack restaurant by the beach for lunch which serves fries, hamburgers, hotdogs, and a variety of pizzas. Sometimes they have sandwiches too.

The buffet is smaller, but the selections are all very fresh and of good quality. Dinner had a chef grill station offering a meat selection. There was always pasta, and at least 2 other meats and a fish. Salad selections were wonderful, and 3 kinds of fruits. Dessert usually had 2 choices.

There is a small roped off area in the dining area that they call there a la carte. You can book this, order from a menu, and pay extra. I didn't see 1 person use it all week. There are 2 area to choose from to eat;, in the main food area(usually quite warm, outside on the balcony, or in an air conditioned room.

We walked around the resort and found they keep chickens, roosters, peacock's, and a few monkeys. Most are friendly. There are also watusa's wandering around. They are vegetarians and don't bother anyone. They look like big tailless rats, but are actual members of the rabbit family.

Most of the staff seemed friendly and engaged, except for the bartender and the taxi organizer(Claudette). Even still, it didn't bother anyone, and we just on on with our days.

Being that it was Game 7 of the playoffs, 10 of us new friends took a taxi(arranged thru Claudette at $7 per person round trip) to the Clarion hotel where there is a North American style sports bar called Herby's. 5-6 was Happy Hour. Drink specials, mozza sticks, chicken wings, etc. We bought 2 orders of chicken wings, mozza sticks, 2 Miami Vice, and 2 beers. It came to $39.97 USD which you can pay with cash or credit card.

Credit cards are widely accepted, but getting cash from an ATM wasn't happening while we were there.

Check out and transfer to the airport was smooth. The airport seems poorly designed. You line up to check you bag and get boarding pass, go to another line to pay $48 USD departure fee, then to another line to go thru passport control again to leave, then xray your bag. After the xray on departure, there is 1 place to purchase food or drinks. They will let you go back out to the main area, but then you have to go thru security again to get back to departure area

Room Tip: Get a room in the 100 or 200 blocks
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thebigjc2356

Good morning,

Thanks for this review. All our team is glad you have an amazing time here in Fantasy Island Resort with us.

I hope to see you next year back here.

Cordialy,