All reviewssteakafternoon teagarden roomattention to detailscallopsfour poster bedmini bargroupon voucherroll top bathfollowing morningcooked to perfectionthe main housegreat foodcountry housefresh milkspecial occasionevening meal
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This was our second stay at Satis House, just outside Aldburgh and we were as impressed this time as with our first stay.

Cara and Andy are wonderful hosts in this Georgian boutique hotel. Rooms are spacious, immaculately clean and with stylish and interesting decor - there is nothing bland about Satis House.

The restaurant is very good value, large portions ranging from British classics to themed evenings such as a popular curry night. And the cocktails are strong enough to ensure a good night and restful deep sleep!

This place is perfect for a weekend away from London or a relaxing stop off en route to Norfolk. It always delivers.

1  Thank seanwestcentral
Reviewed 10 September 2017

As a Christmas present, my wife purchased a voucher for an overnight break with dinner for two. When we arrived I gave the scruffy chap on the reception desk my name and he casually replied, “You’ve got BuyAGift.com vouchers? Yeah, we stopped using them ages ago. We don’t offer the two course set menu anymore. Instead we can give you £30 off dinner.” I pointed out it would have been nice to have known this before we arrived.

Our room, which had a bit of an odd smell, was tired looking, had a carpet with large stains on it, and the smallest carpeted toilet/shower room I’ve ever seen.

I went back downstairs to the reception to say I felt we were at least entitled to what my wife had paid for, and that them expecting us to dine at Satis House for £15 each wasn’t realistic, particularly when you consider their starters are priced between £7 - £12 and their main courses average £18.

At this point, ‘Cara’, who made it clear we couldn’t reasonably expect to eat from their a la carte menu – certainly not from a voucher – had a chat with guy on reception and after a bit of shoulder shrugging, said they’d try and cobble together a two course set menu for us. However, her demeanour made it blindingly obvious we were an inconvenience, so I wasn’t at all confident my wife and I were about to be “treated to a delicious two-course meal”, as stated on our voucher.

The whole situation was really awkward, so not wishing to feel like that, I informed Satis House we would not be dining with them. It was all a bit Fawlty Towers.

In the end, we chose to eat at a highly recommended gastropub called The Crown, in Westleton. Doing so cost us around £120, including cabs. Not a cost we planned to incur, but given the choice on offer it was a no-brainer, and was a great evening out.

To avoid any more awkwardness when we got back to Satis House we politely made our excuses with smiles on our faces and went straight to bed…only to be awoken the following morning at 6.20am by the owners’ dog barking. This barking woke us up again at 7.30am, by which point we gave up trying to go back to sleep.

At breakfast, the kettle/urn, tea and coffee were situated on a dirty table cloth. The water from the kettle tasted truly awful, so we didn’t bother drinking our tea after the first sip. The breakfast itself was nice; we both had eggs benedict - although we did have to ask for forks to go with the knives. We also had to peel the menu off of our table, which was sticky.

We couldn’t wait to leave, so we started packing our bags into our car. On my way back in to check-out I couldn’t help but notice the empty champagne bottle, glasses and stuffed ashtray from the night before left on a table right outside the entrance. It was about 10.15am, so would have thought this would have been cleared up by then.

After a couple of minutes of waiting to check-out I rang the desk bell. Still nobody appeared. I stood there for a bit longer before I put my room key on the reception desk and politely asked a fellow guest to inform the next available member of staff that we’d checked-out!

Since our stay I’ve read quite a few bad reviews for Satis House, many of them written since the award-winning former owners sold-up last year. These have invariably received incredulous and rude responses from the current owners, which comes across as them being seemingly beyond criticism or simply in denial. Rest assured, though, I’m not some clueless misery with unrealistic expectations.

I’d love to know what previous experience the current owners have in running hotels, if any, so maybe they could address this in their response.

Finally, BuyAGift.com have been absolutely brilliant in dealing with our complaint, so full marks to them.

Room Tip: don't bother...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
50  Thank FunkyDC1
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We had a lovely couple of nights here in the Framingham Room with 4 postter bed and balcony in August and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had dinner in house both nights and the food was absolutely wonderful. Both the chef and owner were very friendly and explained their plans for the updating and alterations which were in hand (otherwise this would have been a definite 5 star rating) and we are looking forward to coming back to stay. R&S - Felixstowe

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FelixstoweTravellers
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

My fiancé and I were extremely excited to stay at Satis house for the night of our wedding. We'd booked it well in advance to ensure we had a room.
One month before our wedding date they informed us they were fully booked and had made a booking error.
In response to their error they apologised but offered no compensation for their mistake.
I understand that mistakes happen and wouldn't usually complain, but we are incredibly disappointed and it is a real shame.

34  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We choose to visit Satis House after having a lovely meal here the last time we visited Suffolk.
We only visited as restaurant customers, not hotel guests.

Upon arrival the entrance to the grounds is difficult to spot off the main road, as others have suggested it could do with being lit and signposted better.
The building itself is lovely on the outside, and the little we saw on the inside (lobby, bar, restaurant) was nice too. However my partner said the gents toilets were smelly.

When we entered there were no staff around in the lobby, bar or restaurant and so we hung around for a while until another customer told us someone should be around shortly.

The atmosphere was very strange as there seemed to be only two other couples in the whole place, virtually an empty restaurant. The owner came after a few minutes and we were seated.

The cocktails were very nice, a good selection and reasonably priced.

The food was good however quite simple overall. Both my starter (halloumi) and main (hake) lacked a sauce and both just did what they said on the tin. Nice enough but not overly special for the price and not as good as we had experienced before at Satis House.

The strangest thing about the meal was when we asked for the bill....we were presented with our "bill" in a leather pouch but when we opened it there was just a piece of paper with £92.80 scribbled in pencil...! No itemisation, no formal receipt. We did a mental tot up and came to roughly the same number so didn't ask for a proper receipt however upon reflection I wish we had. Reading other reviews it seems they never give out proper receipts which is really odd!!

Overall it was a good meal in a nice restaurant however it's not as good as we remembered and there are a few finishing touches required to bring it up to the standard it's aiming for and the professionalism of service needs refining.

I'm not sure we'd go back unless the reviews suggested that it had been turned back around which we really hope it does as the place has so much potential.

8  Thank georginaa1987