“Great atmosphere and food from a local tavern!”
Review of The Tavern Ardler

The Tavern Ardler
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Slightly off the beaten track but not by much, we easily found the Ardler Tavern on our way back from Perth and parked at the roadside next to the tavern. The Tavern just looked like a quiet local pub and we weren’t sure if we had the right place but that’s exactly what it is.
We hadn’t booked so were hoping there would be space to fit a table for two, and were lucky enough to get a free table at the window and nearby a lovely big log burning stove.
The decor of this country tavern is exactly what you’d expect from a village pub, comfy sofas by the fireside and locals standing ‘holding up the bar’ as they used to say. Shelves were filled with books, games and a few antiques from the local area.
Nearly every table was either occupied by people eating or waiting to eat, or reserved. Given how busy it was I think I’d recommend that you book a table if you want to go.
The specials board and menus were given to us by a very friendly gentleman and we ordered our food and drinks from the table. I chose a starter of tempura vegetable selection, I’d love to say it was perfect, and that would be no lie as regards the batter, which the chef has definitely got right, but unfortunately a few of the vegetables weren’t quite to taste, the red pepper in particular was a bit bitter but maybe it was just my palate.
My partner chose the garlic mushrooms which came, interestingly enough, inside a croissant! The mushrooms were beautiful, very tasty and in a gorgeous garlic sauce. Ideally they could have been served in an earthenware pot with crusty bread on the side, the croissant made it a huge starter and just a wee bit big.
Main course and my partner chose the chilli burger off the specials board. He was extremely happy with this choice and his only preference would have been to have a sesame bun instead of a floury bap.
I had the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. No complaints, everything was perfect, particularly the beef, delicious and locally produced.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful, lovely atmosphere and we would definitely return again for another meal. Well done to all involved in keeping this tavern open when so many local pubs and restaurants are closing due to lack of trade, especially when it’s not on a main road! Thank you.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Called in for a midweek dinner and the food was superb so went back for Mothers Day. Once more we were delighted with the fare on offer, they even went the extra mile for a veggie and sorted a lovely mac n cheese. Staff and owner were extremely friendly and attentive to everyone, locals and strangers. Would definitely recommend for value.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

A lovely cosy feel, Jim is a great host, menu choice spot on. Gorgeous open fire. Very good old fashioned pub.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

A warm welcome by Jim and his staff. Great food and real ale to boot. Very friendly and very popular

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

I was hosting a large group of lads and The Tav did an excellent job of looking after us. Very friendly staff and Jim (the owner) has good banter and put up with us brilliantly. The food is spot on and it’s a cosy little place and somewhere, I feel, is well worth the detour. Keep up the good work Jim and team!